Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Missing IDE devices

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Missing IDE devices

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:13 pm

Ok, this has happened twice now since installing Windows XP. It never happened with Windows 2000, but I'm still not 100% sure this is a software issue.

Here's the problem: I've had two different IDE devices "vanish". Rebooting has no effect; however powering off then back on restores them.

The first time this happen Nero crashed at 99% done, and since it had the burners tray locked I reset the machine - no burner in Windows. OR the BIOS.

The second time the main HDD (a 120GB Maxtor - yes, a POS drive if there ever was one) did the vanishing act. This time no Nero (well, NVE was making a DVD out of some DivX's, but neither source/nor target folders were on the Maxtor).

This of course FUBAR'd Windows quite nicely. Power off was needed to get the BIOS to recognize the drive again.

Now, the drives are on brand new IDE cables (not rounded ones!), and are both plugged into the mobo's (an MSI i865 Neo2) IDE controller. They are not on the same channel.

The PSU is rated for 400 Watts, which should be enough. The mobo has the latest BIOS and all of the latest drivers/firmware/patchs are installed.

So: anyone have any clue as to WTF is going on?!?

This system was (mostly) rock-solid under Windows 2000. And no, I *still* haven't reinstalled Linux :( (no time, no disk space at the moment).
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:20 pm

That's pretty strange. Are you using the Intel IDE drivers or the MS ones, and do you have Intel Application Accelerator (I think that's what it's called) installed?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:23 pm

I am using the Intel drivers. But not the IAA - it doesn't work with the newer chipsets (865/875), only the older 845 chipsets...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:38 pm

Ah, OK. Could you try using the "rollback" feature to install the MS ones? Sometimes, the MS ones are the only ones that work properly.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:21 am

Check your IDE cables, maybe try a different one if you have one.
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:11 am

I have experienced the vanishing of Optical Drives when Nero crashes. Reboot usually doesn't help and only remedy is a power cycle.
Did you make any Hardware changes between Win2k and WinXP installations? If not, however unlikely, it's a software issue. Otherwise, I would recommend to check your cables, Master / Slave settings, etc...

HTH.

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Sherlock Holmes.

Couldn't Resist! ;)
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:07 am

Nope, no hardware changes. I'll try switching the drivers for MS's ones, and see if that helps...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby khanalian on Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:54 pm

Had exactly the same problem a few months ago, and it was drivin me nuts!!!! Thing I could do was do a hardware search and bingo, the drive(s) come back. not as they where vieweble in XP, but only in the apz that was using them. (nero etc.)

But since I formatted my HD and switched my OS to my SATA Disc installed all my apz as before, I've not had that problem. I think it has something to do with ya IDE cables. Tjeck'em if they a loose, and/or try to swtich ur drives if possible to each IDE of them selves. and run ur HD's on another cable and IDE port.

Hope that helps.
khanalian
Buffer Underrun

Postby BurninMan921 on Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:12 pm

Well, I can't do too much switching around! I've got 3 optical drives and 4 hard drives. The opticals+1 HDD are on the mobo's IDE, the rest on a PCI controller.

I do think it is 90% a software problem, 10% cable. I replaced the cables, and after having Windoze crash yet again, I wiped the drives and reinstalled Linux - no dual booting this time.

She's running fine now!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion