Anything else

Mozilla Firebird rules!

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:55 pm

Woo-hoo!!

I just found me a new browser!

Firebird rocks!
Tabbed browsing. Check.
Pop-up blocking. Check.
Ad blocking. Check (note: VERY, VERY cool ad blocker!)
Mouse Gestures. Check.

And this thing has so many plug-ins!

It's not offten you find a piece of software that does everything you want it to how you want it to! I haven't been this happy with a program since I got Linux :wink:

One downside: it's not quite as fast as Opera. Oh well. It's free. It works with more web pages.

Me happy now! :P

One of the main reasons I switched:
http://adblock.mozdev.org/
It's like having Proximitiron (sp?) running...and no messing with Wine under Linux! Besides, it's one less thing running all the time and eating
memory. As a side note, the Magpie extension is neat too :)

Edit: this started as a Mozilla vs. Firebird question, but after installing Firebird to test it, well....bye bye Opera! I finally have one and only one browser on my PC! And no, I do not have IE installed - thanks to XPLite.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CignaXI on Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:05 am

Indeed one of the best internet browsers out there, though I like more one of his siblings Mozilla. Before Opera 7.X I found that Mozilla was faster than Opera and that's why I changed to Mozilla. But since Opera 7.X I found them both equally as good. I use more Opera 7 because I don't have to reinstall it everytime a change of PC, in the other hand with mozilla I have to install it every time I change of PC. I have it on my USB drive and I can switch from my desktop to my laptop or any other PC and resume my browsing without having to install again....
Still burning with my LTR-16101B.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:28 am

@Burnin, Will checkout Firebird, thanks for the info.

@CignaXI, USB drive method is a novel idea! You must be doing some serious browsing...

Well, I still believe that Opera 7 starts faster than Mozilla. But before Opera 7, always have been a Mozilla / Netscape fan and never IE. One slight problem I face in Opera is BookMark synchronization between PCs. But that's hardly noticable comparing to all the other conveniences it provides.

Cheers.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:17 am

Yup, I do love Opera 7 too! But there are a few pages it doesn't like too much. I do love how quick it is, though. And I've got RAR'd on my Windows install disk, so I just have to copy it back over. One should be able to just make a dupe of Firebirds bookmarks. Of course, probably not it's settings.
But then again...it didn't actually run an installer...so maybe RAR'ing it will work. I'll have to try it.

I switched for two reasons: the adblocker, and I wanted to use the same browser under Linux as I do under Windows. I just don't like Opera under Linux...all the font's are messed up, different theme, etc.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:30 am

If you try Firebird, I recommend these extensions:
Adblock - See above for praise :)
All-in-one-Gestures - Gives FB Opera-like gestures-but even better
Magpie - if you download a lot of pictures, GET THIS!
Tabbrowser Extensions - If you like tab browsing, this is a must have

This thing has a ton of extensions; the more I look through them the more I find I want!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:34 pm

I too liked Firebird very much. Unfortunately it was not as fast as Avant Browser, so I switched to that browser later.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Albo on Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:27 pm

You shoudl give MYIE2 a try. It's just an rehash of IE, but includes tabbed browsing, Adblocking, form filling, and much better stability and loading times. I downloaded it at CNET's suggeston (which I rarely do) and haven't looked back. Has some nice skin options as well!
AMD AthlonXP1800+(OC'd to 2000+)/Soyo K7V Dragon Plus!/512mb Samsung PC2100 DDR/(2) Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm HDD striped w/ onboard IDE Raid/Sony DRU-500A(replaced w/ TDK 840G)/Pioneer DVD-105/Radeon 7500 (64mb)..and a S.S. Directron case.
Albo
Buffer Underrun

Postby StarKnightGoku on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:16 am

I must say, the earlier version of Firebird, Phoenix, is a lot better than the newer builds. I can't quite put my finger on it, but my unintelligent part of my mind screams "IT SUCKS!" quite loudly.
StarKnightGoku
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Software Questions