Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Question about old Mitsui Media

Burn baby burn!

Question about old Mitsui Media

Postby xchagg on Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:18 pm

I found a small supply of Mitsui branded CD-Rs at a shop, but since I've never heard of this brand until browsing the forums :\ Can somone please confirm whether these discs are the 'old' Mitsui media, or MAME discs.

The 10-packs carried at the store are tagged as "Mitsui Gold" instead of "Unbranded" at the bottom right corner. Otherwise, the packaging is identical.

However, the packaging does state that it is made in Taiwan, so I'm beginning to have some doubts here :evil:

I couldn't find a picture of the discs contained within on the net so far, and neither do I have a scanner. But the discs DO NOT look like the one featured below:

It's hard to describe a picture with words but on the middle left side of the disc the Mitsui logo, which can be seen on the top left hand corner of the 1st image, is imprinted. The middle right hand side of the disc is imprinted a smaller verson of the "CD-R 700MB" which is found in the the middle of the 1st image too. The bottom half has 5 lines for writing the contents of the discs and is labelled with only the word 'index'.

CDSpeed brings up the following information:

Manufacturer : Mitsui
Code : 97m27s56f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 6: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB

Can someone who has had experience with real Mitsui media confirm whether I have on my hands a load of junk or the good stuff :)

Thx a bunch.
Puffing away on an antiquated Mitsumi CR-4084 TE > 4yrs old @ 4x :\
Finally got new drives and comp wohoo. Lite-on 52327S and a NEC 2100@2510 lol
xchagg
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:21 pm

hrm, it looks VERY similar to some counterfeit Mitsui CD-Rs I found a while back.... I'm not saying that they are counterfeit though.

Generally speaking, the older Mitsui media says "Mitsui" and the newer says "Mitsui Advanced Media" or "MAM-A".
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby xchagg on Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:59 pm

dolphinius_rex, I had my doubts too after seeing that they were made in Taiwan on the packaging, so no worries there.

Just a little more info on these discs.

I burnt a batch of 5 discs around two months ago and initial scans with CDSpeed after burning revealed zero C2 errors.

However, after scanning them recently each disc had around 100+ C2 errors each.

At least these seem better than some Verbatim DLP discs burnt around 4 months ago, some discs now turn up around 100k+ C2 errors.

However my best are the HP TYs burnt 2 years ago. All of them still have zero C2 errors except for one that has 3 lol.

Anyone else has experience with the abovementioned media and would like to share their experiences with it.

Thx.
xchagg
Buffer Underrun

Postby Darth on Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:09 am

i have those Mitsui discs. Here a pic:

I cant remember what speed I burnt this audio disc at. It's either written with a Creative 8433E or TDK 4800D. Kprobe reads it at 8x?

I do have a datacd but that was burned with the dying 8433E in Jan 2003 and the C1 score was in the hundreds. No point showing the chart.

On a side note, I just scanned a Kodak Gold Ultima disc which i burned at 8x 3yrs ago. Avg C1=0.426 :o

EDIT: oops, just realised you are talking about a different media. Mine is the unbranded Mitsui :oops:
LG GSA-H42N DVD-RAM (RJ11, auroreset RPC2)
BenQ DW1655 DVD-RW (BCIB, RPC1)

Noise Control w/ Nero DriveSpeed 3.06
Darth
CD-RW Thug

Postby xchagg on Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:58 am

w00t! Thx Darth, that's the media i'm talking about which is represented so nicely in your pic.

*points to Darth's nice big piccy*:
so are these discs the real old Mitsui discs or some other stuff?

Then I can finally get to the task of backing up some important stuff, or start searching for other discs bah.

Thx a lot for your help so far :)
xchagg
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:17 am

xchagg wrote:so are these discs the real old Mitsui discs or some other stuff?

Then I can finally get to the task of backing up some important stuff, or start searching for other discs bah.

I think you have already answered your own question:

xchagg wrote:I burnt a batch of 5 discs around two months ago and initial scans with CDSpeed after burning revealed zero C2 errors.

Based on those results, I would continue the search for other discs (hint: Taiyo Yuden and Ritek - one copy on each). If you are already seeing more than 100 C2 errors per disc after only two months, then it doesn't really matter whether or not the discs are genuine. Either way, they aren't good enough for storing important stuff.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby xchagg on Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:24 am

cfitz wrote:
xchagg wrote:so are these discs the real old Mitsui discs or some other stuff?

I think you have already answered your own question:

xchagg wrote:I burnt a batch of 5 discs around two months ago and initial scans with CDSpeed after burning revealed zero C2 errors.

Based on those results, I would continue the search for other discs (hint: Taiyo Yuden and Ritek - one copy on each). If you are already seeing more than 100 C2 errors per disc after only two months, then it doesn't really matter whether or not the discs are genuine. Either way, they aren't good enough for storing important stuff.

cfitz

If the Mitsui media is genuine, then it's time to change burners (and the comp too lol), not CDRs :P

TY media seems to have gone extinct in Singapore, LONG time since I've seen a spindle of TYs, but I'll keep looking . . . or maybe just order it online and ship it here :\

I'll go grab some Ritek sometime soon. TDK Golds are usually Riteks rite?
xchagg
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:26 am

TDK gold's should deffinatly be Ritek's... they certainly won't be Mitsui's and the only other possability would be Prodisc... and they aren't bad for Gold CD-Rs either... of course, that is assuming that they are REAL gold CD-Rs, and not just gold coloured.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Darth on Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:35 am

xchagg wrote:
If the Mitsui media is genuine, then it's time to change burners (and the comp too lol), not CDRs :P

TY media seems to have gone extinct in Singapore, LONG time since I've seen a spindle of TYs, but I'll keep looking . . . or maybe just order it online and ship it here :\

I'll go grab some Ritek sometime soon. TDK Golds are usually Riteks rite?

The 32x Sony discs that come in 5 colours or patterns are made in japan by TY. There's a store selling That's CDR RX 48x by TY, but the price is way insane :o

TDK Gold can be Ritek or CMC. Just look out for the harder plastic used in Ritek cakeboxes.
LG GSA-H42N DVD-RAM (RJ11, auroreset RPC2)
BenQ DW1655 DVD-RW (BCIB, RPC1)

Noise Control w/ Nero DriveSpeed 3.06
Darth
CD-RW Thug

Postby RJW on Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:16 pm

TDK also made GOLD disc's themselves. Okay these are rare and I don't think there made any more. Still the Mitsui GOLD disc's above are also old media. So i don't know what stores still can get.
At the HCC fair a couple of months ago in Holland some so called Kodak gold unbranded disc's turned up. Quality was very low. Closer examination of the media showed that it was fake media.

About Mitsui with made in Taiwan. These could be the prodisc made stuff or some fake ones. The made by prodisc for mitsui version is less good as real old Mitsui gold but better as Prodisc gold !

TDK riteks are quite a safe buy but I wouldn't pick up every disc with the Ritek atip if I were you. Specially Ritek home B brand Arrita is known to have disc's which most times are problematic on some level.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives