Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Silicon Image ata133 PCI controller questions.

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Silicon Image ata133 PCI controller questions.

Postby vsekh on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:22 pm

I installed this controller because it supports ATAPI devices. I connected my Plextor PX708a burner on to it and tried to do a burn. When it goes past 4x speed, the buffer keeps emptying and slowing down the burn.

Found out from the Silicon Image ATA controllers icon in the control panel that the drive is running in multi-word dma mode 2. To test further, I plugged a cdburner into this and it is also set to multi-word dma mode 2.
Not sure if this is causing my issues.

Anyone using this PCI controller know how to manually set the burner to Ultra DMA mode 2? What mode are your ATAPI devices reporting that are connected to this controller?

For now, I ended up taking this controller out and plugging the burner back to one of the onboard IDE controllers.
vsekh
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:26 pm

A lot of Optical Drives do not work well being placed on PCI IDE Controllers. If you need the extra ports, use the PCI IDE card for hard drives.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:09 pm

I, too, noticed that my Silicon Image 0680 cards seem to only allow Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 for my Lite-On CD-RW drives. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to make it use UDMA Mode 2. :(
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby vsekh on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:54 pm

Are you having the same problems as I am with your burners at high speed without having the buffer go empty causing the burn to slowdown every few seconds?
vsekh
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:10 pm

No, I didn't have that problem. Multi-word DMA Mode 2 is plenty fast for any CD burner, and I never hooked up a DVD burner to a PCI IDE controller card.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to General Hardware Discussion