Home News Reviews Forums Shop

sigh. I don't like car problems..

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

sigh. I don't like car problems..

Postby MonteLDS on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:08 pm

So here it is.

My car over heated. I was like wooo when i noticed it, last time i checked my car temp was 45 miles back. so i don't know how far i had driven it. anyways my check engine light came on like seconds after i noticed the over heating, right as i was about to pull over.

I hate you Walmart!!! they did my oil change 400 miles ago! and said all my fluids were ok.

I pulled over. I had no water no coolant. So ya anyways dad came and filled it up. drove it home, sat it over night, turn the car on today. Check engine lite on, didn't drive it anywhere, added some more water since it was dark last nite and didn't know if it was full or not.. So my dad figured hey their nothing leaking anywhere, and we got the idea to get rid of the Check Engine lite was to d/c the battery.

After we D/C the battery and put it back on the stero alarm goes off... and i have no idea how to turn it off! The manual told me how but it didn't make much sense.. i will have to re-read it. I was late for work, ended up taking the BEATER! ('90 geo metro that looks HORRIBLE!)

but ya any one want to comment GRR :(

please move my thread Ian if it seems more of RANT & RAVE
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby socheat on Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:59 pm

I had my previous car overheat on me once on my way to work. The temp light came on when I was about 10 minutes away from the office. One of my co-worker's boyfriend is a mechanic, so I figured I'd push it by continuing to drive it to work...

I've seen many cars on the freeways in the past just billowing smoke, and I always wondered what causes that. I found out exactly how that day. :wink:

I ended up blowing the head gasket. Luckily, he gave me a pretty decent deal on the job.
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:28 pm

If you haven't fixed it yet try looking at the bottom of the radiator(from inside the hood)and see if there is any leaking where the cooling fins meet the bottom part of the radiator.Mine did this.It never leaked on the ground 'cause the heat from the radiator evaporated the coolant.
Or if Wal Mart did the fluid changes,they may have loosened a bypass hose or even the 2 main hoses where it leaked out.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:20 pm

Sorry to hear it Monte.
Hopefully no permanent damage was caused to the engine from the overheating.
Good Luck!
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:49 pm

BUmmer, Monte. :( Is this the Miata you're speaking of?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 pm

Your car probably needed some more rice. :wink:

Like I should talk. I own a Japanese car as well.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:22 am

Wal-Mart for auto service? *shudder*
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:40 pm

Ian wrote:Your car probably needed some more rice. :wink:

Like I should talk. I own a Japanese car as well.

Nothing wrong with Japanese cars. We've had old Nissans for 11 years and nothing has EVER gone wrong with any of them. The worst problem we've ever had was a worn out battery. Yeah we've had one or two with a slightly whining transmission or a bit of rust here and there but they've never failed even in that state.

To be fair I have a Hyundai now and it's been absolutely spot-on as well. Nice little cars for the money :)

You should consider yourself lucky you don't live in Europe. With Rovers, Peugeots, Citroens and FIATs everywhere it's a wonder anyone ever gets to work...... :lol:
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Personally, I'm not a big fan of American cars and would never buy myself one. However, my wife just bought her second Saturn (GM product for those outside the US) and they're good cars. She just got a VUE and the thing is really nice. Has a Honda V6 in it of course. :D
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby F1Pilot on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:08 pm

Ian wrote:Personally, I'm not a big fan of American cars and would never buy myself one. However, my wife just bought her second Saturn (GM product for those outside the US) and they're good cars. She just got a VUE and the thing is really nice. Has a Honda V6 in it of course. :D
Damn. I didn't know it came with a Honda power plant. The Ion looks kinda cool.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:05 pm

Yeah, the 2004 comes with a Honda engine. Puts out 250hp and is surprisingly quiet. I like the Ion, but the steering wheel is tiny.

I really wanted the wife to get the Red Line version of the Vue but it wasn't available until spring. She wanted her car NOW.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:31 am

This won't help, but I was driving to a customer site with a colleague. She was in her Mazda Miata, and I was in another car. Her car over-heated half way there, and it turned out her radiator was leaking.

So this is the second time I've personally heard of the Miata having over-heating problems.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:38 am

Ian wrote:Yeah, the 2004 comes with a Honda engine. Puts out 250hp and is surprisingly quiet. I like the Ion, but the steering wheel is tiny.

I really wanted the wife to get the Red Line version of the Vue but it wasn't available until spring. She wanted her car NOW.
LOL! What is the difference betwen what your wife has and the Red Line version. I looked at the ION one...looks to be some nice cosmetic differences. How much didja get the VUE for, and what's your monthly?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:46 pm

well my friend and i took the car stereo out and had to cut a cable on top of that to stop the alarm.. you would think that after the radio was d/c from the car the alarm would stop... :roll:

anyways also ended up a val broke that went to my engine, a heater val as i was told. cost me about $100 to fix. I think I could of done it myself but i hate screwing with cars. I take my chances on computers

anyways my car runs great. got to see that hot girl Jennifer again. :D and life is good..
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden