Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How fast is too fast? maybe 91x?

Burn baby burn!

How fast is too fast? maybe 91x?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:36 am

I already know something is screwed up with this, but when I saw this result, I just had too post it!

By the way, if anyone can figure out *WHY* I get this sort of things happening, I will be VERY appreciative! Most of the time I get buffer underrun problems at the 63min area of the disc, whenever I burn faster then 40x. Still, not bad for a drive that started out as a 40x max burner eh?
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:34 pm

I'm without a doubt not an expert on rippin' cd's but I've done more than a few in 6 or 7 years and I can say with a little bit of certainty that you really shouldn't be burnin' at 40x.I've done it once by accident and it startled me when it finished in less than a minute and a half.It didn't pop up with any errors but needless to say the disc didn't work.
Burn at 16x or no more than 24x.The ole rule of thumb,Multiply your burn speed by 2 and that's what your Rom should be reading at.If your burnin' at 40x your rom should be readin' at "80x" for best results if you copy on the fly.Don't know any Rom's that read at 80x except the one you have there readin at 91x!!!!!!If your burnin' at 24x your rom should be at 48x(more reasonable and do-able!!!!)If your rom drive supports up to 52x read speed,burn at no more than 24x for best results.Less chance for Buffer Underruns and errors.I haven't had any cd-r coasters in a long time at 16x and 24x.Give it a try.

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:24 pm

NoSmartz wrote:I'm without a doubt not an expert on rippin' cd's but I've done more than a few in 6 or 7 years and I can say with a little bit of certainty that you really shouldn't be burnin' at 40x.I've done it once by accident and it startled me when it finished in less than a minute and a half.It didn't pop up with any errors but needless to say the disc didn't work.

Maybe that's because you used a wrong combination of media and drive !
Burn at 16x or no more than 24x.The ole rule of thumb,Multiply your burn speed by 2 and that's what your Rom should be reading at.If your burnin' at 40x your rom should be readin' at "80x" for best results if you copy on the fly.Don't know any Rom's that read at 80x except the one you have there readin at 91x!!!!!!If your burnin' at 24x your rom should be at 48x(more reasonable and do-able!!!!)If your rom drive supports up to 52x read speed,burn at no more than 24x for best results.Less chance for Buffer Underruns and errors.I haven't had any cd-r coasters in a long time at 16x and 24x.Give it a try.

No problem with high speeds unless your burning on the fly. Something which I never do ! Since I never had good experience with on the fly burning.
As the pictures show 40x is done with a image, that's why 40x won't be haveing extra problems except for higher jitter maybe.
Unless Rex used some terrible quality disc for testing purposes that is.
But if this is quality media then don't expect problems.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:27 pm

No I didn't or do I ever use the wrong media.I use fuji's to do cd's.Never a problem.I have a LG/Hitachi Dvd-Rom and CDRW.Both work fine.No probs.And yes,I do mean on the fly.I burn at 24x or 32x from the HD but only 16x to 24x "ON THE FLY".I never image anything cause I never have any probs with the media cause I rip at 16X AND 24X on the fly!!!Everything has always turned out good on the fly.My exact copies for games and music do fine at SLOWER SPEEDS so there is no need to ISO then rip for me.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:48 pm

Thanks for the warning, however if I didn't burn at 40x, 48x, and 52x my reviews would start to seriously suck.

I am not burning these CD-Rs for quality, simply knowledge :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:29 pm

I am not burning these CD-Rs for quality, simply knowledge

It's good that your takin the "coaster" hit for a lot of people.If it weren't for people like you testing cd-r media and drives we would be buying Princo media and Cendyne drives from Fry's Electronics.Plenty of money,media,time and hardware would be wasted.All I tried to say was,in a nutshell,if you want better results go a tad slower.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:39 pm

Hey Dolphinius Rex, I was just scanning some cd-rw's and a one spot K-probe showed a speed of 232x for my Lite On 52327S it looks like you need this one if you are going to burn on the fly with you 93x burner.
It's even twice the speed your burner is so it should work !
(Now let's see if I can replicate that behaviour and make some fancy screenshot of it!) :wink:

note: these high speed glitches are caused by the way speed is measured. I should have a very specific and complete explanation of it somewhere. But as usual no time to dig that one up.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:01 pm

LOL! yeah, these speed mixups are always fun to play with!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives