Home News Reviews Forums Shop

An alternative to Linux? Sun Java Desktop...

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

An alternative to Linux? Sun Java Desktop...

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:20 pm

Anyone use it? Even HEARD of it? Looks like Windoze alot, with Linux software.

Quote from Sun's web site:
"With the Sun Java Desktop System, Sun has delivered the first viable Microsoft Windows alternative."

Huh? Umm, not to burst their bubble...but have they even heard of Linux before?

Is it Linux compitable? Does it have Wine? It'd be pretty useless for alot of people without Wine (or VMWare). RPM Support?

Link:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadeskto ... index.html

Edit: Ah hah! It *IS* Linux! Just another distro, then. Guess that answers most of my questions :)
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby fookboosh on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:27 pm

well its kinda ironic you say if it doesn't have wine its pretty much useless. Seems to me thats kinda counter to the point of the whole thing since its supposed to be a windows alternative. It would be pretty pointless if you used a windows alternative just to use windows software.
fookboosh
Buffer Underrun

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:51 pm

What I meant was it would be useless for alot of people; not everyone! Alot of people switching away from Windows will have programs that don't have a Linux version. I use Linux only; I do not have Windows installed. The only program I run with WINE is WinRAR. I just don't like the Linux alternative's to it.

Others will have other Win32 programs "they can't live without". Me, I always try to find free/opensource programs to do everything...
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:19 am

It isn't targeted at the end user market. It's targeted at the corporate market where people are only using a limited number of applications for specific purposes.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:42 am

tazdevl wrote:It isn't targeted at the end user market. It's targeted at the corporate market where people are only using a limited number of applications for specific purposes.

ding ding ding ding. we have a winner!

i only seen Sun. I never use it. hardly anything is supported by it. but whatever.

someone wanna make me breakfast in the morning?
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:46 am

Interesting. However, I just can't see myself spending $50 or $100 each year for Linux; I'll just stick to the free distros and the copies of Windows that I currently use.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to The Beer Garden