Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Music Survey

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Which is your favorite Clay Aiken song?

sk8er boi - Tribute to Avril Lavigne
No votes
The Beautiful People - Tribute to Marilyn Manson
No votes
Hey Yeah - Tribute to Outkast
50%
Follow The Leader - Tribute to Korn
No votes
Miss Independent - Tribute to Kelly Clarkson
50%

Total votes : 2

Music Survey

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:33 am

Spinning off from the topic of "American Idol - Season 3", what music do you listen to as far as bands go. Maybe the last coupla groups you've listened to (at least 5). I can predict that Clay Aiken won't be on Ian's list. :P

I have a little girl here that wants her daddy's attention, so I guess I have to post my list a lil later.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:26 pm

No chit chat,just music.Here they are.
Supergrass,STP,Beastie Boys,Miles Davis,Nirvana,Coheed & Cambria,Deep Purple,Leonard Cohen,Walt Mink,Zeppelin, Soundgarden,Sigur Ros,Smashing Pumpkins,Van Halen,Pixies,Judas Priest,Rolling Stones(old),Rush,Karate,Nick Drake,Burden Brothers(brand new),Black Sabbath,Refused.
Too many to list
Pretty much anything really,as long as it's not Clay Aiken!!!

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:39 pm

Who the (bleep!) is Clay Aiken?!?

For all of you deprived people, here's some links to GOOD bands :)
www.slayer.net
www.brutaltruth.com
www.cannibalcorpse.net

And rememeber boys and girls:
You can't spell CRAP without RAP.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:39 pm

Clay can sing, but he's a dork.

I like bands that play instruments & write songs:
Jimmy Buffett, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Jimmy Buffett & Jimmy Buffett.

I'm a Parrothead.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Asrale on Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:00 pm

"Popular" music sucks.

Chemical Brothers
Crystal Method
Fluke
Future Sound of London
Leftfield
Massive Attack
Orbital
Photek
Prodigy
Underworld
Asrale
Buffer Underrun

Postby MonteLDS on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:38 pm

i have never heard any of these songs sung by clay. i would love some linkage.

my fav band is The Smashing Pumpkins. I can tell you all my other fav bands but work is calling. i will list them sometime later
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:57 pm

Popular music sucks

Yes it does!!!
(i.e...the crap they play constantly)
BurninMan921,like the heavy stuff ehh?

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:58 pm

Oh yeah...that's actually some of the "lighter" stuff, too! :)
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:13 pm

Yeah I quite familiar with Death,Deicide,Entombed and especially MAYHEM!!!!(Norwegian heavy stuff).They were way bad dudes!!!

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Reg-da-Ripper on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:18 pm

Clay Aiken does a tribute to OutKast?! :D

OMG, what's next...Clay performs a tribute to Sir-Mix-a-Lot (can you imagine Clay reciting the opening line to "Baby Got Back?")? :D :D :D Kelly Clarkson does a tribute to Lil' Kim (or Millie Jackson)? :D :D :D
My solution to the Plextor vs. Lite-On debate: Buy 'em both! :)
Reg-da-Ripper
CD-RW Player

Postby jj_frap on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:35 pm

Rammstein uber alles!

Japan has some talented composers due, but they compose for a medium not know for its music.
jj_frap
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:02 pm

Mein herz brennt!

I'm not just quoting the Rammstein song...really...my heart burns.

I hope you aren't referring to J-Pop, jj_frap. And I hope you aren't referring to bands like Dir en Grey. "Marmalade Chainsaw" has to be the stupidest name for a song I have ever heard in my life. Although, all of Clay Aiken's songs are worse.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:11 pm

Clay Aiken? Who he?

Is he your equivalent to Mr Simon Cowell's favourite Gareth Gates? (eurgh)

I hate commercial pop music anyway. Have to say I prefer stuff like Cornelius, Hope of the States (RIP James :cry:), Walkmen, Radiohead, Muse, British Sea Power and the delightfully-named Nylon Pylon.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:29 pm

LOL! So far, one vote for Clay Aiken does Hey Yeah. :D

My list of recently listened to CDs:
01 Linkin Park - Meteora
02 Sevendust - Seasons
03 Blue's Clues: Boogie CD
04 Dream Theater - Images and Words
05 Staind - Break The Cycle
06 Korn - Follow The Leader
07 P.O.D. - Payable On Death
08 Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
09 Queensryche - Empire
10 Rush - Power Windows

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:10 pm

That's a shame :cry:
Listened to last night:
Rainbow
Elf
Judas Priest
Imani Coppola

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:31 pm

NoSmartz wrote:
That's a shame :cry:

Hahahaha! Okay. I'll admit it. I'm a fan. :P

I like Halford on his own...same with Dio. Is Ritche still alive? Joe Lynn Turner has a cool voice. He added to Malmsteens outfit. I hated that Jeff Scott Soto guy. It's funny how I would like a lot more bands if it weren't for the singer. I loved Testament (with Alex Skolnick) but didn't like Chuck Billys voice. Loved Racer-X (Paul Gilbert rocks), but didn't like Jeff Martins voice. Same with Poynt Blankk.

I see that there's no objection to Blue's Clues! That's my daughter's pick. She loves it. :D
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:35 pm

No shame in the Korn following.Every person is different.I like Sheryl Crow!!!!!
Ritchie Blackmore is alive and kickin' and has a band called Blackmore's Night.He is 58 years old and still goin'!!They have a female lead singer.What really burns me about Blackmore is that how amazing he would sound if he would get awat from those single coil pick-ups.He's got the amp(200 watt marshall major)but he keeps using those single Strats.Very weak sounding sometimes(I'm an idiot for saying that,listen to Deep Purple).
Turned a friend onto his old band from the 70's last night whilst playing some Priest.Try Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow(stargazer,starstruck)and Elf with Dio.Dio is good anywhere he sings.I like old Judas Priest(Hell Bent for Leather) cause of the simplicity.Hard drivin' but easy to play and loud.
Paul Gilbert can do it tooo!!!Saw one of his instructional videos about a year ago and that guy is way beyond me!!!!Too bad he caught up in the Hair Metal movement.Big in Japan but not here.Singers are what makes bands feast or famine.Look at Jeff Beck.Never been a hit anywhere except Guitar circles.I have no preference over guys like Roth and Hagar but I like the Roth era songs more cause Eddie's playing was way better and unfiltered(guitar,pedal,amp).Racer x was a good band to.
Blues Clues is still in.Sponge Bob rules but the clues is right behind him.Especially if you need help with babysitting.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:23 pm

Damn. Ritchies still goin', eh? I hope he doesn't wear the spandex crap. He is a good guitarist, and yeah...I don't like the watery sound of singles either. The Fender Laces sound decent, but hell no. I've always playthrough humbuckers. For my ideal sound, I use EMGs, athough their profile sucks monkey butt when it comes to a nice clean tone. I'd have to process the hell out of the tone to get what I want.

I got to hang out with Paul Gilbert at a workshop that he did. He's a very cool (and odd) guy. He has a technicality to him like John Petrucci (another of my faves), but not so schooled like Petrucci. I'm biased towards Marty Friedman...he was my instructor for awhile. He rips...so damn fluid that it makes me sick.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:09 pm

Yeah I don't think Mr. Blackmore made enough dough like page or van halen so he's still out there doin' live shows and all that.Mainly in Germany I heard.
Those 3 axemen you mentioned are very techinal players.They remind a lot of Randy Rhoads.He was in the beginning before those guys but they have the same skills.They shred more than he did but he was a classical player like Malmsteen.Very good riff writer!!!He was also a teacher like those guys are.Always wanting to teach and learn more.I see Petrucci all the time in the guitar columns of Guitar world or one of the other guitar mags.He's way out of my league.The friend of mine who I played with last night is like those guys,loves that sort of shredding prowess.I don't think he could play a Ramones song though.He's to heavy into one thing.I'll play a simple song and he'll say,"show me how to do that".He'll admit he doesn't spred out and try differnet things.I couldn't play like Petrucci if you told me I would get my choice of free Guitar gear.I just don't have it in me.
Lace Sensors sound good but the're not like buckers are they?I use a Duncan Distortion and couldn't get a clean sound out of it if I sprinkled clorox on it.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:03 pm

The cool thing about each of them, is that they're into other things than shredding. Petrucci, like Alex Skolinick is a jazz freak. I know Petruci had a few side projects...not sure what they're called. I know Skolnick had Exhibit A (something like that). Friedmans has several solo projects out. I know that he did a few things with that Kitaro dude.

Lace Sensor pickups have a little more personality to them...nothing to write home about, though. Didn't Duncan or somebody have stacked (humbucker-ish) singles called Hot Rails back in the day? Say, aren't Duncan Distortions the ones with the big ass allen wrench poles on them? If so, I remember wanting those bad when I first started playing. Nice sound! Bartolini pups were pretty impressive.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:12 pm

Hot Rails!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:01 am

Those guys have it made.Enough fame and plenty of skills to love what they do every day.Most people can't do that.Takes plenty of determination.
My Duncans don't have the allen wrench pole pieces(Regular circular).I got em about 5 or 6 years ago at a place in the DFW area called Players music.The guy who does there tech work up there does Dimebag Darrell's axes and every other band in the area.All the work I've had done to my guitar triple's what I actually paid for it.I'm tooo cheap to have it re-fretted($200)I wanted the Van Halen squeal and achieved it but a funny thing happened,I liked that without any pedals it sounded very dirty.I only push 15 WATTS so it's not that dramatic but for tubes,it's good enough.Get a nice "In Utero" album sound with it by itself.Sounds like everything else with a "Metal Zone".

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden