Home News Reviews Forums Shop

"Data Verification" failed when burning DVD Video

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

"Data Verification" failed when burning DVD Video

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:27 am

I backed up 2 movies from my personal collection onto DVD+R as the originals were getting a bit worn out.

I used DVD Decrypter to decrypt them to the hard drive, and then used DVD Shrink to shrink them.

I used Nero 5.5.10.35 to burn the DVD Videos to Fuji DVD+R's with the Optorite DD0203.

Both burns went okay, but the "data verification" stage failed a few files, with the log showing that several files were not verified, or were different.

Both copies play okay on my DVD. Is this something that I should worry about?
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:29 am

No. It's nothing to worry about.

I was getting the same results often (Nero 6.0.3.2.). I just quick-check them in the DVD player (Checking each chapter start for corrupted frames).

A visial check of the burnt disc never hurts either. I've caught a few that were obviously screwed up at the dye layer.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:35 am

Thanks Spazmogen!!

I must say I'm very pleased with the DD 0203 and the Fuji DVD+R's. I have not had a single coaster to date (knock on wood)!!!

Every once in a while, I also find something new.

I checked my DVD+R's in my older PC DVD drives, and found that they were capable of playing them!!! I'm very happy :)
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:47 am

Spazmogen wrote:I've caught a few that were obviously screwed up at the dye layer.

Yes, they were the CMC made Memorex discs I got from Amazon.com
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Re: "Data Verification" failed when burning DVD Vi

Postby taliesyn on Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:58 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:I backed up 2 movies from my personal collection onto DVD+R as the originals were getting a bit worn out.

I used DVD Decrypter to decrypt them to the hard drive, and then used DVD Shrink to shrink them.

I used Nero 5.5.10.35 to burn the DVD Videos to Fuji DVD+R's with the Optorite DD0203.

Both burns went okay, but the "data verification" stage failed a few files, with the log showing that several files were not verified, or were different.

Both copies play okay on my DVD. Is this something that I should worry about?

I get exactly the same with my Pioneer 106D, latest Nero, and Datasafe Ritek G04 DVD-R media.

It will burn the files without problem and then report up to 20 mismatched files on data verify. The disc seems to be OK when it's playing in my standalone DVD player and they appear visually OK. It's worrying, but it doesn't seem to happen every single time though. Very odd.

I don't have any other DVD Burning software to test it with though, so I can't pin it on NERO :(

(Actually just tried the same files onto a Verbatim DVD-RW and I get the same files mismatching. It also plays OK on my DVD Player :-? )
taliesyn
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:58 pm

Could a few of you experiencing this issue send a copy of the NeroVision log files to my Email at techsupport4@nero.com so we can look into this? Seem to be too many running into this to assume it's a Media or Recorder issue.

But I have not been able to duplicate this on any systems in the US lab yet.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:58 pm

Thanks Craig. The next I run into this error, I'll send in the log.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby taliesyn on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:43 pm

I still have the DVD files on my HD, and have just noticed the 6.3.0.2 update announced on Ahead's site. One of the fixes listed on the Release Notes page is :

Nero Burning ROM
Fixed incorrect handling of DVD-Video burn process

which is very interesting. I'm just downloading the update (slowly via ISDN :() and I'll let you know if it fixes the problem or anything changes.

If I come across the error again Craig, I'll e-mail you the logs with pleasure.
taliesyn
Buffer Underrun

Postby taliesyn on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:25 pm

Nope, exactly the same :(

I'll e-mail you the Log Craig.
taliesyn
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gekko on Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:10 am

Finally someone with the same problems as I am experiencing! :-?

I have two cases of Nero problems:

1) A PC with a MSI8332A cd-writer. Nero 6 produces only coasters. Nero claims the burn process completed succesfully, but upon verification the files are different. Using other verification tools confirms the erroneous writing. Nero support claims it has something to do with my computer ("since no others ever reported this type of error"). Installing Nero 5 instead solves the problem. No more write errors! I have tried about 5-6 different cd-brands, conclusion: Nero 6 writes only coasters on this computer, Nero 5 works great.

2) A PC with a NEC2500A dvd-cd-writer. Nero 6 produces coasters if I try to write more than about 3.9 GB on a dvd. Same story as above. The burn seems to complete ok, but the verification indicates unreadable files. In fact, all files beyond the 3.9 GB limit are unreadable (tested with NERO CD-DVD Speed)! Tried different dvd brands, including Verbatim media specifically recommended by NEC. No good. Burning less than 3.9 GB and burning cds is no problem. Burning DVD+RW (2.4x) above 3.9 GB limit seems to work ok. Burning DVD+R or DVD-R above same limit (at any speed) does not work.

Operating system on both PCs are Windows XP with all latest updates.
Gekko
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:49 pm

Gekko wrote:Finally someone with the same problems as I am experiencing! :-?

I have two cases of Nero problems:

1) A PC with a MSI8332A cd-writer. Nero 6 produces only coasters. Nero claims the burn process completed succesfully, but upon verification the files are different. Using other verification tools confirms the erroneous writing. Nero support claims it has something to do with my computer ("since no others ever reported this type of error"). Installing Nero 5 instead solves the problem. No more write errors! I have tried about 5-6 different cd-brands, conclusion: Nero 6 writes only coasters on this computer, Nero 5 works great.

2) A PC with a NEC2500A dvd-cd-writer. Nero 6 produces coasters if I try to write more than about 3.9 GB on a dvd. Same story as above. The burn seems to complete ok, but the verification indicates unreadable files. In fact, all files beyond the 3.9 GB limit are unreadable (tested with NERO CD-DVD Speed)! Tried different dvd brands, including Verbatim media specifically recommended by NEC. No good. Burning less than 3.9 GB and burning cds is no problem. Burning DVD+RW (2.4x) above 3.9 GB limit seems to work ok. Burning DVD+R or DVD-R above same limit (at any speed) does not work.

Operating system on both PCs are Windows XP with all latest updates.

Actually, they are not having the same problem as you are. If you read their response again, you'll see that they get a read verify error, but the discs are still able to play in their DVD Players and DVDROM or DVD Recorder devices. Yours are not.

We did find a problem with our software and the NEC DVD Recorder, and our latest NeroVision Express 2.1.0.8 should resolve that.

As for your MSI8332A cd-writer, we'll have to obtain that model and do some tests to see if we can duplicate the problem, and if so, then find a solution.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)