Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pet Peeves....

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Pet Peeves....

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:15 pm

Does anyone else get really pissed off when they hear people call it
DVD postive R and DVD negative R???

I don't mind DVD dash R, and I think DVD minus R is pretty much the standard, but *NOT* DVD negative R, that makes it sound so bad! no wonder people think DVD+R is better :evil:

Other pet peeves involve people who are smartasses about things they don't know... like a phone call I got from a person who wanted me to make a CD master of something for him, but he wanted it to be a pressed disc, and not burned. He told me his friend had it done for about $50 CDN at some other place, and he wanted the same sort of deal. He wouldn't believe me when I told him the glass master *ALONE* would cost in excess of $200 CDN, and that no plant would in their right mind replicate only 1 disc from a glas master, becasue it would not be worth their setup time and expenses. He was offended when I suggested that maybe the single pressed disc his friend got was just a silver CD-R. He told me he was quite capable of telling the difference between the two types of discs. When I asked him how he could tell, he wouldn't answer. The phone call ended shortly there after, with him saying he would go check with his friend... he was either stupid, insane, or trying to trick me into doing something he thought should be possible. I'm betting on the first two.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:26 am

I'm going to throw in a few pet peeves for ya dolphinius,
how b'out when you let some a#$%^& get in front of you in traffic and he doesn't give you the courtesy wave.That pisses me off.What about those numnutz who have the ole "eventual left" blinker goin on down the highway.They can't possibly not here that damn thing blinkin in their car.Or the p#$^@ across the street plays his friggin' stereo until all hours of the night.I've often thought about gettin' some rats or mice and lettin' em loose in his car so they could chew up the ole subwoofers.Don't know if that would be a Plus or Negative though :D :D :D !!!!!!!

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:21 am

More traffic ones:

- The idiots who refuse to alternate merge when one lane is closed for an accident etc.
I still remember the &*(& who intentionally stayed glued to the car in front of him, so I couldn't merge, even though he saw the cop blocking my lane for an accident.

- Conversely, how about people who think that because they have been waiting for a while, they can literally crash into you when pulling out of a mall parking lot, rather than wait for other traffic, EVEN after I let someone else right in front of her in, to be nice!
If I had an older car I would have let her smash into me.

Ironically both the incidents above happened in the SAME town, a few DAYS apart, several months ago.

- The people who can't wait a few seconds and pull out in front of you, even though they know there isn't enough distance, and that you will have to brake, to avoid hitting them.
Did these people ever take a driver's license road test? Do they THINK?

- The guys who intentionally drive in the turning lane and then merge tyo the busier lanes of thru traffic, thereby stalling the turning lane traffic, and just cutting off people who have been patiently waiting a while.
I know this particular one is committed even by some "good, normally considerate drivers".

I could go on and on...
I just thought I would add to NoSmartz's list :)

Luckily I don't have the "idiot with the stereo playing loud" as NoSmartz does.
My neighbors are quiet and considerate. :)
My brother and I are probably the loudest (in relative terms, since we really aren't loud), although we don't play the stereo after 10 PM, and try not to play it too loud or with too much bass at ANY time of day; we occasionally let loose on Saturday afternoon for a moment or two :)
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Re: Pet Peeves....

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:44 am

I had never heard of glass master until now. I did some research, and find the whole thing fascinating!

I never really thought of how they mastered CD's before, but the glass master, father, mother, and stamper is really interesting.

Why is the glass master destroyed during the production process?

dolphinius_rex wrote:...Other pet peeves involve people who are smartasses about things they don't know... like a phone call I got from a person who wanted me to make a CD master of something for him, but he wanted it to be a pressed disc, and not burned. He told me his friend had it done for about $50 CDN at some other place, and he wanted the same sort of deal. He wouldn't believe me when I told him the glass master *ALONE* would cost in excess of $200 CDN, and that no plant would in their right mind replicate only 1 disc from a glas master, becasue it would not be worth their setup time and expenses. He was offended when I suggested that maybe the single pressed disc his friend got was just a silver CD-R. He told me he was quite capable of telling the difference between the two types of discs. When I asked him how he could tell, he wouldn't answer. The phone call ended shortly there after, with him saying he would go check with his friend... he was either stupid, insane, or trying to trick me into doing something he thought should be possible. I'm betting on the first two.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 am

I don't mind DVD dash R, and I think DVD minus R is pretty much the standard, but *NOT* DVD negative R, that makes it sound so bad! no wonder people think DVD+R is better

I'm such a pedant on this one... I call the DVD+R "plus R" and DVD-R "DVDR" because when the DVD-R format came into being there was no plus or minus or dash or whatever; the dash meant the same as in CD-R and you don't say "CD dash R" or "CD minus R" do you?

What about those numnutz who have the ole "eventual left" blinker goin on down the highway.They can't possibly not here that damn thing blinkin in their car.

I tend to just blink my headlights in time with the indicator for a few seconds, usually does the trick and I often get a thanks as well. A lot of cars do have very quiet indicator tickers; my dad's Vauxhall (GM) Vectra can't be heard at highway speeds.[/quote]
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:20 am

Only $200CA for a glass master? That's a good price. I had talked to a few companies around here about making custom test discs for me and they quoted $500+ for the glass master.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:56 am

I just thought I would add to NoSmartz's list

Thanx VEFF.I couldn't list anymore grievances yesterday cause I was hot under the collar.Just had an experience before I started writin' em.You mention a lotta good ones.Appreciate more "tales from the road".
Our loud subwoofer neighbors are renters.We've been here 25 years,they've been here 25 weeks.No class at all.
I tend to just blink my headlights in time with the indicator for a few seconds, usually does the trick and I often get a thanks as well.

I usually get in front of em and blink my blinkers left,right,left,right until they get the picture.THEY NEVER DO!!American drivers S#$!!!!

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:43 pm

I usually get in front of em and blink my blinkers left,right,left,right until they get the picture.THEY NEVER DO!!American drivers S#$!!!!

That would be misconstrued here because left-right-left indicator means thanks to the person behind on a motorway who's just let you in.

Tell you what I hate most of all, it's people who will insist on overtaking on a dual-lane road right next to a junction where traffic might be joining from the sliproad. It's downright dangerous, and leaves everyone having to brake hard a lot of the time because of one sh*thead who has to get to work 5 minutes quicker. I've seen more than one accident where people have done this on a cold, icy day and caused carnage. Grrrrrr....

Another one of my pet hates is television continuity announcers who give away the entire plot of a programme just before it starts. "And now on Tyne Tees, Dave tells Sarah his deep dark secret, Paul ends up in hospital and Gail is burgled in today's episode of Crap Soap". WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? I don't have to watch the *&*%?> thing now!!! Why don't you tell me the f*&ng football scores while you're at it you stupid bint!!! Whatever happened to using your 10 or 20 seconds to promote other programmes or generally take the poke fun at the channel's output? I enjoyed that.....
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:31 pm

It's interesting how a lot of the pet peeves are related to driving.

I personally have grown to really hate long commutes & driving in rush hour. If they could remove the human from driving, I think we would see a lot less stressed people.

Driving is truly a two edged sword. It's fun, but there are so many down sides - tickets, accidents, wasted time, stress, etc.

My personal non-driving pet peeve is having to do taxes. Not only do we have to pay the government a ton of money in taxes, but we also get the pleasure of being charged a fee for software, or pay someone, to file paperwork on our taxes as well. On top of that, we get the pleasure of being audited as well.

Oh well, such is life.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:00 pm

My neighbors leave me alone. I live in an open-carry state, and that's exactly what I do. I have no problems with my neighbors, nor they with me; but I'm not shy about having a CCW.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:43 pm

Any thank you here in the states while driving is either a wave or flashing your headlights.Every other hand gesture here is not a polite wave.Yeah the mystery in TV and Movies is gone.I saw a movie reviewer here a couple of months ago do a review and all he said was,"if you've seen the ad on tv for this movie then you know what the movie's about" then went on to another movie.They always give away too much too soon.They think we can't get it for ourselves.They also assume that we don't have much of an attention span.What makes me laugh is how local news stations brag when they get an unimportant story on air first and they promote how they were first.When all anybody watching is saying,"who gives a s#%@".
Taxes suck cause they make you pay 'cause they didn't take the right amount out the first time.Extortion isn't it ?
Agree with the no driving less stress theory,totally.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:58 pm

I've had people ask me about CD minus Rs before, and ask me if they could buy some CD plus Rs as well..... sigh :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:06 pm

jase wrote:

That would be misconstrued here because left-right-left indicator means thanks to the person behind on a motorway who's just let you in.

Tell you what I hate most of all, it's people who will insist on overtaking on a dual-lane road right next to a junction where traffic might be joining from the sliproad. It's downright dangerous, and leaves everyone having to brake hard a lot of the time because of one sh*thead who has to get to work 5 minutes quicker. I've seen more than one accident where people have done this on a cold, icy day and caused carnage. Grrrrrr....

Another one of my pet hates is television continuity announcers who give away the entire plot of a programme just before it starts. "And now on Tyne Tees, Dave tells Sarah his deep dark secret, Paul ends up in hospital and Gail is burgled in today's episode of Crap Soap". WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? I don't have to watch the *&*%?> thing now!!! Why don't you tell me the f*&ng football scores while you're at it you stupid bint!!! Whatever happened to using your 10 or 20 seconds to promote other programmes or generally take the poke fun at the channel's output? I enjoyed that.....

Speaking of giving away football (soccer to those here; I am actually not American by the way) scores:
Here in the US, during the last World Cup, due to the time difference with Japan, many of the matches were tape-delayed.
I can't begin to tell how many times they gave it away on the radio during my commute to work. The least they could say is mute the volume. Then only those who happen to tune in at that exact moment might accidentally hear the scores.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:13 pm

my pet peve are people who ask Jennifer out on dates.. If i was the Queen of Hearts i would scream OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:37 pm

MonteLDS wrote:my pet peve are people who ask Jennifer out on dates.. If i was the Queen of Hearts i would scream OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!

LOL

Just think, those other people are making you more fond of Jennifer! If no one wanted to date her, I don't think you'd appreciate her as much.

:lol:
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:55 pm

I almost forgot another one:

The *&^% who drives in the left lane of a six lane (three in each direction) at 2 AM (or any other time when the road is nearly empty) doing barely the speed limit, with no other traffic around, so he could easliy drive in the right or even middle lane.
I once flashed someone ten times at brief intervals (giving him time to move over). The driver didn't even flinch.
I gave up on this ages ago for two main reasons:
1) Some people won't know why you are doing it and it could turn into road rage, when you were just trying to help keep them safe, since the left lane is the lane for faster drivers.
At least some of the big highways says "keep right, pass left", which has helped alleviate the problem somewhat.

2) It seems many people will never learn, and I can't be the unofficial traffic enforcement 'cop' all the time.

The last time I went back to Europe (been in the US for over 20 years), I was impressed with the way the cars only pass on the left and IMMEDIATELY move back to the right lane; sometimes even if they will have to pass again 10 seconds later.
I am not sure why this way of driving never picked up here. Many people do it correctly, but many also do not...

By the way I *love* the US and *love* living here and love most things here. Driving issues probably represent my biggest pet peeve though, as I am sure it is for many members here :)
I mean road rage (which I don't subscribe to, even if I can get upset) is a problem here for just that reason...
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:20 pm

I've had people ask me about CD minus Rs before, and ask me if they could buy some CD plus Rs as well..... sigh

dolphinius_rex,that's friggin' hilarious!!!
my pet peve are people who ask Jennifer out on dates.. If i was the Queen of Hearts i would scream OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!

MonteLDS,Put a stop to it.

VEFF,drivers here suck.I lived in Deutschland for a little while and even though there is no speed limit on the autobahn the drivers there are much better in traffic and have more courtesy.Surprising that we have speed limits here and no-one can follow em'(things that make you go mmmmm!)

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:30 pm

people driving with their lights off, especially in the fog or rain. OR even at night time.

People driving with just their parking lights.

People who have to go at least 10mph faster than the bicyclist even though the bicyclist is going 10mph over the speed limit....

Non driving related
People that swear. Especially those that swear excessively. Shows that they arent smart enough to think of a better word.

"could care less"

people who use other peoples' race or beliefs as insults

Words that should be used in a negative sense as a way to say it's good: "Sick", "wicked", etc.
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:39 pm

You have come up with some great ones guys, that didn't occur to me at the time!

One more big one.
I just spoke with my mother about something, mentioned pet peeves.
She asked if I cleared the snow from the roof of my car; I replied "yes" (I always do).
She said the police is giving tickets for it. It is about time.
A few weeks ago after a previous snow storm, on a Sunday morning, a minivan with a lazy driver, passed me (I was going 60 MPH on the highway, which was pretty much clear of snow) and immediately went back into the middle lane in front of me, the motion of switching lanes caused a big chunk of snow from his roof to come off and hit the front of my car (he was close when he switched lanes, otherwise it wouldn't have mattered).
Luckily it hadn't frozen yet and wasn't ice, but at highway speeds, big chunkcs of snow flying onto a hood can still cause damage or distract a driver.
I don't think it did any harm to my 6 week old car, luckily, but I was p**ssed off as it happened, due to his lack of consideration for anyone but himself.
I flashed my high beams a few times, but I doubt he saw it in the daylight or would have known what it was for, since I am sure he had no clue, the snow had fallen off.

Another one just came to mind:
People who only clear their windshield (and front sidewindows if that) of snow and leave the entire rear window and back side windows entirely covered with snow.
How do they change lanes safely (blind spot is not visible in mirror)? How do they know if anyone is behind them, in case they need to make an emergency maneuver?????
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player