Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Audio compilation cd problem

Burn baby burn!

Audio compilation cd problem

Postby lee on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:04 am

Can anyone help me please?

The audio cd's I make for my car, compilations or full copies of the origional, all work fine in any of the cd players in the house as well as my car.

However they don't work in the player in my wife's brand new car. All origional cd's work fine in it. The sound usually plays for 5 seconds or so then "jumps" before playing for a further 5 seconds. It occaisionally plays for a longer period, a minute or so, or not at all.

Recording is by both Plextor Premium & Plextor 708 using Nero 6.

Look forward to any assistance anyone can provide,

Thanks
lee
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:04 pm

It sounds like the player is the problem,some players will only recognize pressed CD's.My Toshiba 1200 DVD player has the same problem.
Make sure there is no label on the disc and try another brand.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:48 pm

Dear lee,
Hi.burninfool may be right.By the way you could also try changing media.If the car is new,so is the CD player.And majority of newer CD players are able to play 700 MB CD-R's or CD-RW's.You could try changing different CD-R from different manufacturers.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:16 pm

also, some players can only play 650MB discs, and not 700mb discs. A good way to check for compatability would be to use the Plextor Premium's Gigarecord, and set the level to 0.8x capacity. It might help... assuming of course that you have access to a Plextor Premium.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:45 pm

burninfool wrote:It sounds like the player is the problem,some players will only recognize pressed CD's.My Toshiba 1200 DVD player has the same problem.
Make sure there is no label on the disc and try another brand.

Hmm this is the first time that a player won't read cd-r's.
I have heard this claim over and over again and even the old SONY DVD players which are very problematic when it comes to playing Cd-r's can play some cd-r's if the disc is good enough.
You should try to get some old stock Mitsui Silvers - The playback ratio for these disc's is extreme high. However newer stuff labelled with MAM-A/ MAM-E doesn't perform this way !

Now back to the point about the car player.
If you can try verbatim metal AZO !(Yes the old azo dye) or some Mitsui silvers (OLD ones !) like I allready recommended above. So far I had the highest playback rate with these disc's. - checking them on some profesional stuff -showed that both had extreme low jitter rates when burned with the right drive.
Now verbatim/MCC has less good reflectiviy compared to Mitsui still this could solve stray light problems. (SOme high quality black media can do the same trick if the media is good supported by your writer !)
Mitsui however had low jitter and extreme good reflectivity which makes it easier to read as long as the pick up isn't very sensitive for stray light.

The suggestion Dolphinius_Rex posted also should lower the jitter which would cause a better change of playback and so does burning at a lower speed. Why it will cause higher error levels on modern media for jitter it seems to be better and the influence effects of jitter are in this case more important than higher C1 errors (You still should avoid C2)

Also other differnt media might help I don't know what your usseing now but there can be huge influences. So trying a few which are easy to get
(TY,Verbatim (Super AZO),Ritek (TG) ) might also solve the trick incombination with the right speed that is.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby lee on Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:48 am

Thanks for all the help. All your suggestions seem worth a try so I won't give up yet.

By the way, media I'm using at the moment is Packard Bell 52X & I think is 800mb\80 minutes. My older discs are PB 48X 700mb & again all work in all my players from a 13 year old £1000 SOTA hi-fi player to a £25 walkman I use with my guitar amp to practice with.

They just won't play in my wife's car!

By the way I forgot to mention in my origional post that 2 discs played fine all the way through the 1st time but refuse to play since. Strange?
lee
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:07 am

Keep in mind car cd players are most times the most picky players out there.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives