Home News Reviews Forums Shop

The music babble continues...

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

The music babble continues...

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:14 pm

NoSmartz wrote:Yeah I listened to Staind when they came out but not recently.Not to difficult to learn em.He tunes WAY LOW!!I'll check out the Staind(Layne)here in a bit.Was at the cd store last night and they had a AIC Safe box set come in used.Love all their stuff.
Stp's progressions are difficult to me 'cause a lot of the time he uses "quirky chords".He uses the standards but he forms them differently.I guess he wanted to stretch his fingers the utmost but the chords have more ring to them.I suppose they are more "open" or "bright" sounding than regular.He'll throw in a A2 or C1 or a Absus4 or an Asus2 and throw you off completely.I think he does it to get the right sound out of his rig.Frustrating and satisfying at the same time.You'll know immediately when you hear one of those chords to.They are not hard to miss.When you learn one song you go to the next for a totally different reason.RIFFAGE!!!Check this riff from there 1st released "famous" song"
A-----7-7----- 7-----7-----7---7-7-7-7--
E-0--7-7--0--6--0--5--0-3---3-5-3-0--

Stretches yer fingers don't it.That tune is "Sex Type Thing".When I learned that tune back in '92 I was so proud.He's not difficult like Petrucci but he throws curve balls all the time.Oddly unconventional to me.Maybe it's the tone that throws me off.
I like that term you just used,"Twister©"-ish .Very appropriate.I'll use that in every day language.Should be in the dictionary :D .He uses those "Twister©"-ish chords but gives you time to change them up.Slow progressions.He's not skilled like that.Love Peace Sells,Who's buying by the way.Mustaine just did too many downstrokes I guess.We all know he wrote all the best "early" Metallica stuff.If you have a chance,try lookin' for a band called"Diamond Head".You won't find it a the stores but if you find the mp3's :wink: ,grab em.You'll then know if you don't already that that's where Metallica's 1st album came from.Metallica has covered a ton of there tunes.They have so many riff changes and progressions in one song it's friggin' scary.Not hard mind you but WOW!!!Fun to learn.
I love everything Nirvana ever did.A genius songwriter.Shows you how a basic guitarist can succeed.Loved every last song.I Love that "In Utero" tone.Duncan Distrotion through a Boss os-1 followed by a Fender Bassman.That's it.Now his stuff is fun to play if your frustrated at a Petrucci tune!!!
Line 6 has some kickin' products.They have the stranglehold on the "every" sound amps and mods.Worth the money.If you want all kinds of tones and versatility,it's what you buy.Good Amps with a fair price tag.
Dimebag uses that 1 Dean guitar for everything but his key is the Randall Commander Amp head he uses,it's Solid State!!!Very old too.Don't make that model anymore.He's actually a mainstay in Arlington area where he lives.He's all over town all the time.Very Visible.Sux they're gone to.DAMN SUPERJOINT RITUAL!!!
Peavey have a bad rep for burnin' up.Very high octane but at a price.Great sound but only 1 sound you know.EVH.They tried the Soldano route but still can't keep em' from smokin'.MADE IN MISSISSIPPI!!!
Lynch is sort of blah,blah,What have you done lately.Hammett is good but again,how many times do I have to hear "One".OK, it was good now come up with a better tune.He throws those JMP-1's into a heavy process.Correct on the heavy processage!!Yeah he uses Marshall power amps if I'm not mistaken.200 watts or somethin'.You lost interest when everybody lost interest,"the black album".It was their last stand :cry: .Seems like these guys don't want to grow ya know.Stick with the same ole same ole'.
Dude that's way funny,the "dumpster" comment.It's also true.Man they are great sounding guitars but WOW,what do they have in those things,fishin' weights?I agree about Marshall.Somethin' has changed with them.They are tryin too hard to be like everybody else.Funny thing is,everybody wants to be like them.They need to step back to where they were.Everybody wanted a Marshall tone and now,ehhhh.PRS's are amazing but way out of my $range.Crisp and clear to play but mean and nasty to my wallet.ZZtop.Have to like em here in texas.It's a prerequisite to live her :D It's one guitar(59 les paul)with an bixonic expandora and a Marshall JCM800 and sometimes a Fender bassman(or twin).This setup is new in product but he had the one bixonic pedal made so he wouldn't have to tinker with his rig anymore.It's kinda like the Line6 for him.He's gettin old!!!!!!Check out Dusk til Dawn soundtrack for a song called"she's just killin me",If your not a believer now,listen to that track and you will be.
Fear factory is good stuff.They're Slayer,Sepultura like music but when you need a change,these bands pummel you with sound!!!!HEAVY SOUND!!!!

E

Mushoks playing isn't technical, though he is a good guitarist. Execution is clean and beautiful. I love his MMM1. It's a well built baritone guitar...nice sustain to it...awesome feel. I'm partial to Ibanez because of the feel. I was a hardcore Jackson and ESP fan. I'm not sure what guitar I'm getting next. It's a toss up between a PRS Tremonti or an Ibanez 7 string (I got rid of my other one :o ). I'd like to hear the MMM1 with EMGs in them. As it is,the stockers are nice...not farty or muddy at all. I tune down to an A, but that's getting old.

DeLeo structures nicely, but now that you mention it, it sounds like a pain in the butt! I can see myself playing one STP song, then walking off the stange in angst. LOL!

Yeah, Mustaine and Hetfield were a great pairing...both are into downpicking, which they're good at, but c'mon dammit...there's more to life. With the Diamond Head stuff, yep. I had their stuff, only because I was so into Metallica that I wanted to hear the original of the songs they played. I loved Garage Days Revisited, the $6.27 EP, or whatever it was called.

In Utero was my fave Nirvana CD. Dunno what it was about it. I wasn't a big fan, but I really liked that one CD.

Line 6 stuff is good, but at times needs tweaking. Using the POD as a direct record is tricky. I used to just PostQ the sound before the board. Now, I PreQ AND PostQthe Line6. It adds much needed color. The copany is definitely making waves. Slipknot (not one of my faves)and Evanescence (cool tone) uses them. I played through their new Vetta II amp...nice!!! Dino uses Line6 stuff as well. I believe he runs his EMG outfitted 7 string to it. He's fast, but not technical at all. To my ear, I hear a lot of questionable notes in his playing...not because I think it's structurally wrong, but it just sounds like mistakes. Still, I'm a Dino fan.

You know, I loved Anselmo in Pantera. He has a great voice for yelling and screaming, however, with Superjoint Ritual...not my cup of tea at all. And damn...Dimebag gets taht sound from solid state????!!!! What an insane sound! You know who had a really good sounding solid state? Crate. EVeryone raves about their Blue and Red Voodoo amps (Friedman plays them).

Heh...funny thing...the tone of Slayer and Sepultura sond the same. :D
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:17 pm

Well you guys lost me with the Guitar comparisons but I do agree that Cobain was almost a genius and I liked everything he did. Would have been interesting to see how he evolved. I really like the live in New York MTV unpluged versions he did, he really hung it out there and totaly freaked the MTV guys out. It was pretty much his way of saying goodbye.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:00 pm

While not my taste, Cobain was en entity unto himself. When he burst into mainstream, no one knew what to make of him at first. Same with Fieldy's and Claypool's bass playing style. Ever seen AIC Unplugged. It was an awesome set, but so sad to see Layne. He was just an empty shell. Back to Nirvana, I know that Dave Grohl has his Foo Fighters...what's Krist up to?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:15 pm

Yeah Sepultura,Slayer,Soulfly etc.. are to me the same entity.Not a bad thing though.Leaves off the same tree as it were.Got to http://www.allmusic.com and check out there history,pretty interesting.I absolutely can't play down to C,A or anything below drop D.My bridge is S*%#.Here's a link of some pix of the kind of guitar I play.2nd and 3rd pic are what I have.
http://members.tripod.com/~ifumust/univox.html
Loved the P-90's it had in it but it had that single coil hum that I hated so I stuck that Duncan Distortion in the bridge.Deleo is fun cause all his stuff is different.Never the same thing 2wice.
Kurt was a flash that couldn't last.Read his bio and you'll see that what he did to himself wasn't a surprise.Unplugged was definately a goodbye concert for everyone and the best he ever did.That "In Utero" was an unfiltered album.No technical stuff to it.Recorded to tape and sent to the Label.Dave has started a new side project he just released and it's called Probot.Haven't heard a thing yet.Krist just sits in the wings and protests to congress about artists rights and such.Pretty unproductive if you ask me.Same with Zak de la Rocha.
Believe in there cause's but man they could so much more except b*%^$ and complain about things they can't control.I never learned to play that Mushok stuff properly due to my Tuning restrictions.I just played it in drop d.Seemed to sound fine but it didn't have any Sabbath deepness.Your right about his skill,he's not very technical but neither was Cobain,Ramone,BJ armstrong(green day) and they seem to make a song sound pretty good.I quess that means less is more :D .
I've heard the same things about hearing "mistakes"in his playing(dino).They are all over the place but only someone who knows,knows.Nobody today cares I believe,just nice noise mixed in and that's all that matters.I just finished a movie a second ago and was critiquing the 1 song they played live in the movie.I can't help it,I'm always pickin' apart songs.Bad Habit I suppose.Those Voodoo amps sound good(Red).I've only heard the Red but it sounds good.Very stinging sound.Harsh as it were.I don't know anyone who liked that Superjoint Ritual.That just proves that no one person in a band is the whole band.Team effort.Ask David Lee Roth!!!!!

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:23 pm

For the record, I would like to state that I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :lol: :lol:
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:04 pm

I agree 100% about the first group of bands. I like the Roots CD from Sepultura...really good. Slayer...Seasons In The Abyss is awesome. Soulfly's Primitive is good. They all got the same sound. Coincidentally, Slayer's Hanneman uses EMG, but doesn't sound like he does...like Kirk Hammett. The irony is that as far as I know, Hanneman doesn't exactly have a fridge like Kirk. Go figure.

Damn...thanks for the link to the guitars...now I remember Mosrites. How old is yours? By looking at the guitar, I'd imagine that drop tuning wouldn't be fun...might as well take your pick to a slinky. :o

LOL! I'm the same way with music. I'm so hardcore tone oriented that I try to listen to every little nuance in a guitarists sound (if I like their sound, of course). With Dino, to me his mistakes is the only way that I can justify the odd note here and there. It'll be interesting now that he's left Fear Factory. I believe that he's playing with Asesino not...something I won't rush out to get. Same with Superjoint. I'd love to support my fave musicians, but that'd be going too far.

Marty Friendman used to use Blue Voodoo Amp...not sure if he still does. Sammay Hagar uses the Red ones. Ready? Here we go..."RECTO"! LOL!

How goes it, B????! LOL!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:24 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:For the record, I would like to state that I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :lol: :lol:

i'm glad to hear of it.
i thought i was the only one :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:35 pm

Now I feel like a guitar geek. :o
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:41 pm

dodecahedron,BuddhaTB,I feel the same about hardware issues when you guys talk.My eyes glaze over and I think,"man I shoulda paid more attention in school". :D :) :lol: :P Guitar Geek Proud! :roll:
Yeah I think Cavelera wanted to start Soulfly for creative reasons.Try something of his own.Still sounds the same as Slayer and Sepultura.What have you done for me lately kinda feelin' ya know.Maybe Hammett should do some PUNK to mix things up :D LOL!!!!
My Univox was made in 1971(older than me,not by much).That bridge Sux.If I hit it too hard the top 2 strings roll right off of the bridge inbetween the rollers.I've even used a razor to carve out the seat but to know avail.I started using GHS tnt's(.52's) and it helped a lot but it still slips sometimes.It's also very light(plywood :o )
Yeah Superjoint isn't something I'm going to throw my support in for.The can come or go and I won't miss it.Sammy I believe was the first to draw attention the Voodoo amps.If you haven't,find a group called Montrose and there self titled debut from '73.Blow you away!!! 100% guaranteed

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:29 pm

in all likelyhood, being a guitar geek is closer to a normal state of mind than a computer geek...i think! :o :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby NoSmartz on Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:51 am

Look at this way,for a computer geek,there will always be oppurtunity for employment in all aspects of the IT or Software world for a long time to come.Here in the ole USA that's a normal state of mind,productivity.It's hard as h#&* for a guitarist to find others to form a band with you,record an album and be successful at it for years to come.He'll always love what he's doin' but he won't be very successfull in terms of money.Always tryin to find that perfect sound to record but never gettin it.You knowledgable computer guys out there have all the tools you need to be a success for a long time coming.I envy ya'll.I know a little about the PC field but not enough to be good at it.There are tons of guitar "players" but Guitar Geeks are a selective bunch and love their hobby where as guitar "players" are in it to say "hey,I can play Stairway to Heaven".Posers.
dodecahedron,it's never to late to learn the guitar!!!!Took me only 2 months to play my first tune way back when.
In closing,I can honestly say I am and always be a proud Guitar Geekian.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:08 am

BuddhaTB wrote:For the record, I would like to state that I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :lol: :lol:

LOL, ditto!!! :lol:
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:41 pm

Cavalera left Sepultura at the urging of his wife (and Sepulturas former manager) because she told him that he WAS the band and could make more money...that's what I heard, at least.

Yep. I'm familiar with Montrose. Not a fan, but like some of their tunes. I like Denny Carmassi's (is he still with Heart?) drum tone...same with Alex Van Halen and Mike Portnoy.

Have you tried using a fine Dremel bit to create a groove in your bridge? You never know. Might work. Hopefully doing this won't jack you play. I used Boomers back in the day, but now I use D'Addario exclusively. I use the jazz strings since their heavy...52 through 13, I believe.

I agree with NoSmartz, dode. You might really take to it, you never know. When I first stared way back when, I was 11. For the longest time, it would be common for me to play 8 hours straight...minimum 4 hours. Looking back, I can't believe I was like that. But anyways, if you want to start playing guitar, there are nicely priced starter packs out there that contain books, electric guitar, guitar strap, gig bag (a soft case for your guitar) guitar picks ad amp. The one I would have killed for when I was a kid is this one: Click My Butt. Image
If you followed my babble in the American Idol thread, you heard me talk about a brand called Line 6. Line 6 makes the product in the bottom right corner of the picture called a GuitarPort, which is a guitar amplifier emulator. In short it replicates the tone of 15 different guitar amplifiers and 18 different audio effects. Line 6 rocks!

And yes...computer geeks have better chances at landing good jobs. :D

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:45 am

Yeah I was just reading that he expected to be the star even without Sepultura.Turns out all the respect went right to Sepultura when he left and did his own thing.Again,proves that no one person is the band.I love Montrose.You are so right about Carmassi and the drum tone.If there was no montrose,there wouldn't be a Van Halen.Good ear on the drum tone.I don't think he's with heart anymore.I believe he's a hired gun for solo artists.Great drummer.
Never tried the Dremel but not a bad suggestion.It wouldn't hurt anything cause the bridge is a rolling bridge.Has rollers for seats so if I mes't up I could just turn it a little to seat it right.
Found a new(80's) band to listen yesterday.Blue Murder(John Sykes-Whitesnake)Not to bad.
The GHS tnt are just plain HEAVY!!!!I got em' for tone and durability.Nobody who plays my guitar can play em'.They say,"these feel like telephone lines".Don't seem to bother me. :D These guys out here in cdrlabs land would love it when they would learn their first song on a guitar.Intoxicating!!!!

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:03 pm

What's your opinion of the replacement singer in Sepultura? I haven't listened to them since Max left. While Max was the voice of Sepultura, I don't feel he's evolved into anything different with the stuff he did with Soulfly or Nailbomb. It's the same with with with Dimebag and Vinnie (although a different take with them apart from Phil).

Denny has great tone. I also like Steve Smith (formerly of Journey) and Neil Peart. Blue Murder had a cool drummer too...Carmine Appice. I can't believe that you know about them...to funny! They were good I liked em. Valley Of The Kings was awesome...so was Jelly Roll. I listened to them because I checked them out from being a Whitesnake fan when Vivian Campbell joined up alongside Adrian Vendenberg. They complimented each other to a degree. Vivians playing was awesome, but I lost interest when he joined Deaf Leopard. I used to have 2 Kramers guitars...one of them Vivians signature Night Swan. It was a good guitar. I just found out that they're back in production. I'd get a Night Swan again if I could find a good deal.

LOL! Telephone lines! That's putting it lightly! They had an awesome sound, but was a biatch stringing them into the first generation Floyd Rose. After one episide of striging it, having it snap and gash my eyebrow, I never played them again. From there I used Ernie Balls and D'Addario. Now it's just D'Addario.

Heard any of Vernon Reid new work on the latest Living Colour CD?
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:17 am

I the new Sepultura sounds like what Max sounds like with Soulfly,not much different.Better with each together but nothing spectacular apart.
I dig it when people can critique drummers.There are good ones and blah ones.I'll mention something here like I'm a know- it- all but did you know that Peart wrote most of Rush's tunes.All from Ayn Rand books.He's fantastic.That band is fantastic and far beyond what I could accomplish.Journey was a good band too.Like there early stuff when Neil Schon didn't write wimpy stuff.My brother still has Journey shirts from the late 70's and early 80's when they and 20 other bands every year would put on a kinda festival concert here called the "texas jams".Haven't had one in 18 years but they were good memories.Blue Murder,been tryin' to get there stuff for quite a while.Every time I track it down around here someone else gets it and I forget about it for a while.I remebered it the other day 'cause I heard a Whitesnake tune and remebered John Sykes plays in both.Whitesnake had it good for a while until Coverdale screwed everything up.2 amazing guitarists.Whatta shame.Carmine Appice,solid drummer.Nowadays,a session drummer.Def Leppard was good for there first 2 0r 3 albums.After that,adult Contemporary Pop charts here we come.
You won't find a deal on that Kramer for a while.Like PC gear,just a wait a minute or 2 and the price will change!!!!
I have a very important question for ya.How do you string that Floyd Rose?My buddy has a 5 or 6 year old Ibanez and we can't string that thing to save our life.Great sounding guitar when it's in tune but we can't get it in tune.He asked me the other day to find something online that would show us how.Ya have any advice or tips we could use?
Haven't heard a thing from Vernon Reid or Living Colour.That's funny though,I was just listening to that album from 1989 10 or 12 days ago.I'm going to the cd store in the morn and will probably have a listen.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:41 am

I'll start this off with the Floyd Rose. If it's the first generation with just the blocks in the saddle, I feel for your friend for it's a pain in the ass. First of all, you pull the Floyd Rose off the guitar, then chick it for a newer unit...

Seriously, what I used to do was clip the ball off the end of the strings. Before I put the end in the Floyds block, I would bend the string back 180 degrees...in other words, double up the string before you load it in the block...that gives the stupid block a little more meat to sandwich down on. You can get bold and dump the blocks altogether and try to get the allens to push and grab on the balls on the string, but personally, that's just asking for the guitar to go out of tune. When you get the strings on and tightened up a bit, I yank the strings from the midpoint...back and forth to get a little prestretch. From there, I put something inder the bridge to keep it at it's level position, then start tuning without the locking nut on. I'll repeat that process 2 time, remove the "bridge leveler", them repeat the tuing process 2 more times. IF the tuning adjustments re quire less and less turning of the machines, I put the first lock on (the low E end), tune all the other strings as usual...lock the mid lock...tune the final 2 strings...lock the final nut. By that point, you should have the strings stretched out enough to be able to use the micro tuners in the bridge to fine tune it. I'd still go one more step of dive bombing and pulling back on the tremolo to make sure that you get that extra stretch. It's a pain in the ass process, but it's worked for me.

I'll post more later...got a little girl siting in my lap wanting some daddy time. I hope the 411 works for your friend. I'm not sure if they still make the things, but they had a tool that helped with the bridge leveling and tuning. I don't believe they make em anymore.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:11 am

I'll give you an idea of how we went about it.
1st,we left the old strings on so we wouldn't have to go through the whole starting mess.Everytime we try and tune it with machine heads it just bends the tremolo till we think it's not safe to do so and we back off of it.
2nd,we tried the micro tuners but every time we get one or 2 strings tuned the rest go out of tune.
3rd,we've even back't off the strings as much as we could to kinda sorta,"star from scratch".Tune with the heads then micro tuners and no luck at all.
I'm serious,he hasn't touched that guitar in over a year cause we can't tune it.
I copy/pasted your directions to him and I he'll let me know what kinda Floyd Rose he has.May give you a better idea of what we're dealing with.
He's in no rush(has a 2nd crap guitar he plays)so no worries.Thanx for the input.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:19 pm

Yeah, floating bridges are tricky to set up. It can be a long process, but when you get it right, you can do bombers and pullacks with no problems. My technique of doing may take awhile, but doing will save a lot of headaches.

I've seen interviews with Peart, and I agree with his description in more ways than one...hi truly is the thinking mans drummer. He's genuinely intelligent. Bruce Dickinson is a trip...a big history buff. Pretty cool.

I liked Neal Schons playing. He hasn't done muchof jack lately, has he? Last I heard from him was Hardline. I never liked his guitar line, but I thought it looked like butt.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:41 am

he sent me a message this morning and decided to take your advice and get a new bridge period.He said he's tired of dealing with it.Great soundin' guitar when it works.That floatin' tremolo was what I couldn't come up with this morning.Couldn't think of the name of it.Thanx for the refresher course.It is a pain in the a%$.
Neal Schon had good "easy" chops.Nothin' to fancy.The Caddyshack song says it all.Less is more.Has done mostly solo and session stuff recently but you won't believe who he studio guitar'd for on a couple of albums,CARMINE APPICE.
Peart could be a philosopher.A lot of tragedy in his life though.He's a very smart guy.A good author a great drummer toooo!!!!
I like when a musician has some intelligence.Smart enough not to speak out and make himself look like an idiot(Ted Nugent,like his music,hate his politics).
Looked for that newer Living Colour today,no dice.Ton of Bruce Dickinson though.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:28 pm

Tell him to try what I described. Floyd Rose is a good bridge, just that the first generation takes some technique of getting it set up right.

I agree about Schon. He was very clean and precise. Getting back to rush, I think Lifeson is a messy player, but he fits well with Rush. Same goes for Slash with G N R. I'm not a huge fan of The Nuge, but like a few of his songs. He's a funny guy! Ever heard of Metal Sludge? Good site! Funny too!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:32 pm

Have been at the candy store(cd shop)last couple of days.Lots of stuff!!!hehe
Nugent is good but politics turns me off.He should shut up and play.Did you see last week where he cut his leg open with a chainsaw?Dumba#*!!!
Trying Metal Sludge shortly.
Everybody gives props to Slash as the main guy for GnR but they forget that Stradlin was the key rythym player.No success without him.I love Rush.Lifeson isn't a Buddy Rich that's for sure but for what he does,your right,he fits.
My buddy might go and try for a bridge this weekend.He tried guitar center but they gave him a line of S#*%.He has no patience.He's tried with that Floyd Rose til he's blue.He has an Ibanez GEM.Can he get just about any standard bridge and slap it on or do you recommend having it put on by a tech?I can do all the other stuff to a guitar except frets.He followed your directions and no luck.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:25 pm

Hahaha! I heard about him cutting himself. What a trip. Speaking of the Nuge, I've been tring to find his jerky. I have a friend thats a jerky fanatic, and wanted to get some for her as a joke. I've found others: alligator, kangaroo, pheasant, ostrich.

Oh man. Guitar Center? I'm sure they have people that know their stuff, but I'd go to a shop. I think there's better chances that he'd find someone that has used the old school Floyd Rose.

Damn...JEM? Sucks it won't stay in tune. He would be better off taking the quitar with with no strings on...try to go to a shop that'll let him size a new one up out of the box. There are different stud spacings which might be an issue. I don't think he'd need the service of a luthier. He should try contacting Ibanez on that because they have their own absolutely excellent version(s) of the Rose. Maybe they can suggest a perfect replacement. Even moreso since a lot of JEMs are treasures. Although the opening of this page can be quirky, there's a wealth of info here. Lemme know how it goes!
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 pm

Nugent's jerky's allright.I've had better.He calls it biltong cause he visits Africa and that's what their jerky's called."Biltong",his is NOT!!!!I eat Biltong all the time and his doesn't come close.For one,he doesn't use Eland as the base meat.Ahhh,he'll never get it right.By the way,I bought one of his compound bows back in '91 and the piece of s*%$ broke on me.They wouldn't refund it.
Wow,jemsite has a ton a' stuff.I'll send the link to him right now.Let ya know.

E
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:28 pm

Dude. Sorry you got screwed on the bow. :-? How much was it?

That's right. He calls it Gonzo Biltong or something like that, right? He probably uses the word Biltong cause it sounded cool to him. He's a funny guy. Cool that he does his own thing, though.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to The Beer Garden