Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How do you store your backup CD-Rs?

Burn baby burn!

How do you store your backup CD-Rs?

Postby Garathor on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:26 am

I am wondering if it is ok to store CD-R backups in CD folders/wallets.

I buy my CD-Rs on spindles, so i don't have any jewel box cd covers i could store them in. Until now i have been storing my back-ups in CD wallets, but i have noticed that the discs have some scratches (very light) caused by the CD wallet when i insert and remove the discs. There is also dust on all of my CD-Rs that are stored in CD wallets.

Should i use Jewel Box CD covers for my backups, instead of CD wallets?
Garathor
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:23 am

Dust on the CD-R's stored in your wallets? Are you leaving the wallets open and exposed? That's the only reason I could think of which would cause a buildup of dust inside the wallets. I use CD wallets too, and I don't have this problem. Just take care of your discs (and wallets, for that matter), and they'll take care of you. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:04 am

Dear Garathor,
Hi.TheWizard is right.I too use CD sleeves to store CD-R's and dont face problems that you are facing.You can try changing the storing sleeves.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:49 am

I would say that sleeves are not the ideal form of storage for CD-Rs, but I don't think they'll destroy the disc either. I prefer a spindle if I will not be handleing the discs on any regular basis, and I use jewel cases for the stuff I use more frequently. I only use albums for discs that I do not use frequently, but need to be able to identify quickly on the odd occasion that I want to use them. For example: Movies, System Discs, backups.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives