Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Quality of CMC Magnetics?

Burn baby burn!

Quality of CMC Magnetics?

Postby LoneWolf on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:11 pm

Hey all,

I usually buy Verbatim media, because I've had good luck with it. However, this past 100-spindle has been really subpar for me. It burns okay in my NEC 3500A, but I've had issues with playing back (both audio and MP3 data) in my car, and I've had errors burning with other drives (a Plextor 12/10/32 SCSI yesterday, but also with some Yamaha CDRW's). I analyzed the Nero logs, and found the media was made by CMC Magnetics. I don't remember this being very high quality stuff, but maybe I also got a bad spindle, which would be a first for me. It's pretty hard to buy a bad spindle of discs these days, isn't it? Or should I get ahold of Verbatim, or just buy a new spindle of CD-R's, and if so, which brand?
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 pm

I would get ahold of Verbatim. I know maxell Canada gave someone 100 DVD-Rs to replace *1* bad disc. Let's see if Verbatim can offer similar service :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby [buck] on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I would get ahold of Verbatim. I know maxell Canada gave someone 100 DVD-Rs to replace *1* bad disc. Let's see if Verbatim can offer similar service :wink:

Yep, Maxell Canada sent me a 100-pk to replace a single disc. The receipt however, was for a 100-pk.

What's interesting, though, is that I specifically inquired my email if I could only send in a few defective samples and not the whole spindle, and they said NO, we need the whole spindle. Looks like they changed their mind. :wink:
[buck]
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 am

I've just sent off an e-mail through Verbatim's website; if necessary I'll contact them at home via their phone number. We'll see what I get.

Oddly enough, this is also the first set of Verbatim discs I've had where Sharpie markers won't write properly to the non-media side (shrug). I think I'll be buying inkjet-printable discs from now on.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:50 pm

I haven't had good luck with Verbatim-branded CMC's. Their customer service is outstanding though!

Since they seem to be phasing out the DataLifePlus label, I look for Super AZO (or similar) to make sure that Verbatim dye, process and quality control apply.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:49 pm

MediumRare wrote:I haven't had good luck with Verbatim-branded CMC's. Their customer service is outstanding though!

Since they seem to be phasing out the DataLifePlus label, I look for Super AZO (or similar) to make sure that Verbatim dye, process and quality control apply.

G

Verbatim Europe's customer service is deffinately one of the best world wide... but Verbatim America is a different matter. I know the people *I* deal with are very nice... but they aren't the people regular customers deal with. I'm not saying Verbatim America has bad service though... simply that I'm not aware of their quality of service like I am with Verbatim Europe (which is *REALLY* sad on my part!).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:03 pm

MediumRare wrote:I haven't had good luck with Verbatim-branded CMC's. Their customer service is outstanding though!

G

Yes, I really miss the AZO blue dye discs. Harder to find than they used to be, and I've never had a bad burn with one. Ever. They also seemed fairly resistant to sunlight and scratches.

If anyone knows of a source for reasonably-priced AZO-blue dye discs that are inkjet printable, I'd definitely go for it.

P.S. I just got an e-mail from them asking me to return any/all defective discs to a specified address. Hope I didn't trash my last bad-burn disc. I am tempted to return the whole spindle though at this point. Maybe that's the best way to go.
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives