Home News Reviews Forums Shop

session ID in URL

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

session ID in URL

Postby MediumRare on Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:49 pm

At present, a session ID like "&sid=d5aa563767dc0ab683bb3d76eee4c2ee" is added to every URL on the forum. Sometimes it even changes if I delete it and the go to another topic. It makes it almost impossible to navigate in the offline cache. :evil:

I let all cookies through for cdrlabs, so I don't see that as the cause. Normally I only log in if I want to post something. Is this just me or is this standard now? Have you changed something in the setup with the transition to test2 etc. ? (It used to be that the sid showed up once but stayed awy after I deleted it).

I use opera 7 as a browser.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby cfitz on Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:56 pm

It might be you. I don't see any session IDs in my URLs, and I never have. Are you sure the cookies are getting through?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MediumRare on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:04 pm

I'm beginning to wonder. When I deleted the sid after posting, I had to log in again.

I had some login problems a month ago and fixed those by starting from scratch again with my cookie policies. I guess Opera is a bit strange on that front.

I'll try some more tomorrow. Have to get to bed now.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:09 pm

i have the same problem.

i usually see it in the main forum index page, but not in the topic pages.
however, it's inconsistent.
it only started recently, i think after the last forum upgrade. didn't have it in the past.

how do i enable cookies for cdrlabs?
IE: Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy -> Web Sites: Edit
and add:
Domain - cdrlabs.com
Setting - Always Allow.

is this the correct procedure?
anyway it didn't fix the SID issue.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby socheat on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:58 pm

This is normal behavior. The phpBB gurus added the SID to pages that require extra security (such as the login page, the index page right after logging in, the admin control panel, and a couple others). Once you navigate to a specific forum/topic, it disappears. This was discussed on the phpBB forums:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... ht=sid+url

If you really don't like the SID appearing when you first log in try this. After you initially log in, click the Forums link at the top again. The SID will disappear, but you will still be logged in.

If the SID is showing up all the time, something is not right with your cookies. Try clearing all your cookies (if possible), and check your security level. Someone with more experience with Internet Explorer would probably be able to help more than I would. :-?

Socheat
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:39 pm

Socheat wrote:If you really don't like the SID appearing when you first log in try this. After you initially log in, click the Forums link at the top again. The SID will disappear, but you will still be logged in.

If the SID is showing up all the time, something is not right with your cookies. Try clearing all your cookies (if possible), and check your security level.

Thanks Socheat. Took a while, but I've got it fixed now. It was a cookie problem (although I don't know why) and things now work like you indicated. I'm still learning the ins and outs of Opera and was unable to selectively delete a domain from the cookie policy list. I ended up deleting the entire cookie file and now have to rebuild it successively. :(

Afterwards I remembered the "Opera 4 File Explorer" which does allow selective access to cache and cookie file and other things (emphatically recommended to all Opera users).

G
(who is melting in the current heat wave)
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to Feedback and Help