Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sharing HD-ripped files with close friends

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Sharing HD-ripped files with close friends

Postby Kennyshin on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:54 am

Do you think it is morally and legally alright to share files ripped from HDTV with close friends you personally know and trust? Either on DVD recordables or via net. South Korean government yet does not interfere with this kind of new activities though they are seriously against pirated DVD titles either locally available or imported from China.

Music, drama, movies, sports, animation, and so on. People addicted to HDTV just can't concentrate on DVD. They mainly use DVD technologies just to store HD-ripped .tp files on inexpensive DVD (re)writable media. Many of them have hardware-based HDTV PCI cards 100Mbps upload/download lines at home. Some also have Panasonic projectors and Sony CRT HDTV monitors.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby redk9258 on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:51 am

It's probably OK if it is off air TV. If it is from a pay service (cable or satelite) then it probably is breaking some kind of law. I'm sure if it is from PPV then it would not be OK.
redk9258
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:01 am

I can see some companies getting their panties in a twist becaust the video is HD quality, but in essense its just like sharing video tapes.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:30 pm

I can see some companies getting their panties in a twist becaust the video is HD quality, but in essense its just like sharing video tapes.

Exactly.

Timeline:
60's-share vinyl
70's-share 8 tracks
80's-share cassettes,share VHS
90'-share cd's,share DVD's
2000+:Share cd's,DVD's,Share HDTV DVD + - R,Share everything else
To stop this it would be like trying to take pee out of a pool,
YOU CAN"T,
Total waste of time.
I see no moral implications here. :lol:

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:26 pm

NoSmartz wrote:I see no moral implications here. :lol:

Me neither.. especially since it was essentially broadcast to everyone. On the other hand, I can see where some TV networks get a little pissed because they're not getting any revenue from advertisements.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:03 pm

On the other hand, I can see where some TV networks get a little pissed because they're not getting any revenue from advertisements.

Absolutely!!
But we out here don't care.We're not seing a dime of that advertising revenue and never will.I'll never lose sleep over it.They 'll have to come out with some code or encryption that techies can't break.But that's laughable.The little guy always beats the big guy!!!!!!!
:P

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:41 am

NoSmartz wrote:They 'll have to come out with some code or encryption that techies can't break.But that's laughable.The little guy always beats the big guy!!!!!!!
:P
E

Even though they come out with an encryption or a coding scheme, it will be cracked as soon as it hits the streets. Coders are doomed to be beaten by Crackers.

It's publicly broadcasted material and you are archiving it for /non commercial resaons. Maybe if someone sells, then there is moral / ethical issue there.

Cheers.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:46 pm

Thank you for all your inputs! :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:07 am

integspec wrote:Maybe if someone sells, then there is moral / ethical issue there.

Exactly, just don't go selling it on eBay like some fools have. Some people have gotten away with selling VCD's, while others were not so lucky.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden