Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sonic DLA no response from DVD player

How fast is too fast?

Sonic DLA no response from DVD player

Postby jstwstngtime on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:58 pm

The other day i bought a new Sony DVD player and installed it in my new Dell desktop. At first the sound from the DVD player was blurred. I called Dell and we switched the Dell CD/RW and the DVD player so that the DVD was the master drive and the CD/RW was the slave. All was good and well. The DVD worked great. Then i was watching a movie and near the end it froze up and the warning Sonic DLA Drive (D) Invalid directory entry. Then it said "A disk with an unsupported format in drive "D"

I called sony back and they told me that the DVD drive was broken and i should take it back. it sounded to me like the guy didn't want to do his job.

Symptoms:
When i put in a DVD it spins up and then stops then spins up again. Usually i have to eject the DVD to get it to stop (note that it never loads in the comptuer. If i go to "My Computer" and look at the disk drive, it never recognizes the title). I played a CD in the DVD player it and worked great which tells me the drive still works, it's just not reading DVD's.
I played a CD in the CD/RW and it had that same blurred sound i was getting on the DVD.

Questions:
is there a software conflict somewhere with the DVD / CD/RW software?
what do i do to get both drives working correctly with no blur?
Should i stick with the sony DVD or just take it back and order from Dell?

Thanks!
jstwstngtime
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:00 pm

no double posting please.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon