Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sony Announces 810 Series Of Burners w/ 8x DVD+R DL Write

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Sony Announces 810 Series Of Burners w/ 8x DVD+R DL Write

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:19 pm

SONY DRIVES DOUBLE AND DUAL LAYER DVD RECORDING MARKET WITH NEW 810 SERIES OF BURNERS

Tenth Generation of Dual Format DVD Burners Tout Industry’s Fastest Speed With 8X DVD+R Double Layer Recording

SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 16, 2005 – Sony Electronics has once again raised the bar on the DVD recording speed front with the introduction of its tenth generation of DVD burners.

The internal DRU-810A and external DRX-810UL models support the industry’s fastest 8X DVD+R Double Layer (DL) recording speed, and can burn up to 8.5GB of video, data, music or images on compatible media in about fifteen minutes.

The 810 series of DVD burners also features 4X DVD-R DL, 16X DVD±R, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R and 32X CD-RW recording.

The drives come bundled with a feature-rich software package suite from Nero® for burning, authoring and editing home movies, creating digital scrapbooks, and backing up critical data.

“Sony continues to hold the leadership position for retail market share of the industry’s double layer DVD drives, and our 810 series is further testament to our commitment to innovate where our users value it the most — in the drive’s performance,” said Robert DeMoulin, marketing manager for branded storage products in Sony Electronics’ IT Products Division. “In addition, users want the ability to select from a host of options when it comes to DVD burning and by providing both dual and double layer recording, we enable them to choose what media will best address their needs.”

Sony’s 810 series of DVD burners is designed at the optimum price/performance for consumers wanting to store and share home movies, digital photos, and music; businesses deploying DVD video-based training and sharing large files; and filmmakers creating prototypes on recordable/rewritable DVD discs before proceeding with mass replication.

The internal DRU-810A drive comes with an ATAPI interface for easy installation inside a PC and includes a black replacement bezel for those with black-colored PC cases. The external DRX-810UL drive features an award-winning, space-efficient vertical design and offers connectivity with both i.LINK® (IEEE 1394) and hi-speed USB (USB 2.0) digital interfaces for simple set-up and maximum flexibility.

Double Layer vs. Dual Layer

There are currently two formats on the market that support recording to two layers of a DVD disc. The first was presented by the DVD+RW Alliance for the plus (“+”) format and given the formal name “Double Layer.” The DVD Forum followed with its own standard for the dash format (“-”), which it dubbed “Dual Layer.” For now, drives are only available in write-once formats called DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL.

“Sony has a rich history with double layer and dual layer formats for our DVD burners,” added DeMoulin. “As a pioneer of the dual format DVD burners that support both plus and dash standards coupled with our experience in introducing Double Layer recorders for the PC, we continue to drive this market by offering burners that address a plethora of user requirements.”

DVD and CD Software Suite

The burners come bundled with award-winning Nero DVD video authoring software, as well as with DVD/CD burning software for creation of data, music, and video DVDs and CDs. The comprehensive software suite also includes packet-writing software for users to easily record files and folders by dragging to the icon of a DVD+RW/CD-RW disc. All tasks and applications are accessible via the Nero StartSmart launcher, which serves as a command center and gives the user one-click access to all programs in the package. The software suite includes:

§ Nero Burning ROM 6 SE and Nero Express® 6 CD/DVD mastering software for data, audio and CD/DVD writing and copying;

§ Nero VisionExpress 3 VCD/SVCD and DVD authoring software for advanced video capturing, authoring, full video editing and photo slideshow creation. Users can crop, clean up, add special effects to photos and then add transitions and a soundtrack, as well as cut, edit, dub, and turn videos into Hollywood-style masterpieces;

§ Nero InCD® 4 packet writing software for formatting rewritable discs so they can be used like large floppy disks with drag-and-drop capability;

§ Nero ShowTime™ DVD-Video playing software for viewing DVD movies and personal video projects, along with MPEG-4 compatibility;

§ Nero PhotoSnap/PhotoSnap Viewer captures digital photos right from a digital camera or scanner and provides basic image editing as well as a viewer utility;

§ Nero MediaHome streaming media server allows sharing of media files over a home network;

§ Nero Recode2 DVD-Video converter makes backup copies of unprotected DVDs – ideal for making copies of home movie DVDs to share with friends and family. Can also compile multiple DVD discs into a single DVD;

§ Nero BackItUp backup software for complete PC backup, with an easy-to-use wizard interface for multiple backup modes, automatically scheduled backups, and backups spanning several CDs or DVDs;

§ Nero MediaPlayer / Wave Editor management/jukebox software and audio editing software for audio file creation with various filters and effects;

§ Nero Cover Designer disc label creation software for creating individual CD/DVD covers and labels; and

§ Nero Toolkit drive tool software for critical media and drive analysis used by drive manufacturers worldwide.

Availability and Pricing

The internal DRU-810A will be available next month for about $100, while the external DRX-810UL is expected to ship in October for around $150. Sony DVD/CD rewritable drives are sold through SonyStyle.com, at Sony Style retail stores (www.sonystyle.com/retail) and at Sony Electronics authorized resellers and retailers nationwide, mail order catalogs, and select online shopping sites.

Sony supports what it calls “worry-free” installation, along with easy operation in addition to toll-free customer and technical service, Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT. The company also provides a one-year limited warranty from the original date of purchase.

Specification for Sony’s New 810 Series of Dual RW Drives

Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
· ATAPI (EIDE) internal interface

· DVD+R DL: 8X P-CAV (max.) writing

DVD-R DL: 4X CLV (max.) writing

DVD+R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD+RW: 8X Z-CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD-RW: 6X CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-ROM reading (single layer): 16X CAV (max.)

DVD-ROM reading (dual layer): 12X CAV (max.)

CD-R: 48X CAV (max.) writing

CD-RW: 32X P-CAV (max.) rewriting

CD-ROM: 48X CAV (max) reading

· Dimensions: 146 x 41.2 x 172.5 mm – excluding bezel (W x H x L)

· Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 / Windows XP

· Burst data transfer rate: 66.6 MB/s max. Ultra DMA66

· Random access time: 135 ms (CD-ROM), 130 ms (DVD-ROM)

· Buffer memory: 2 MB

· Buffer under-run error protection technology: Sony Power-BurnÔ conformed

· Recording method (CD): Disc at Once, Track at Once, Session at Once, Packet Writing
(DVD): Random Access Write (DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW), Sequential Write (DVD+R/+R DL/+RW, DVD-R/-RW/CD-R/RW)

· Compatible disc format: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-DA, Video CD, Photo CD (multi-session), CD TEXT, CD Extra, and others

Sony DRX-810UL DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
· Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) and i.LINKÒ external interfaces

· Full Speed USB (USB1.1) compatible with lower write/read performance

· DVD+R DL: 8X P-CAV (max.) writing

DVD-R DL: 4X CLV (max.) writing

DVD+R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD+RW: 8X Z-CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-R: 16X CAV (max.) writing

DVD-RW: 6X CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-ROM reading (single layer): 16X CAV (max.)

DVD-ROM reading (dual layer): 12X CAV (max.)

CD-R: 48X CAV (max.) writing

CD-RW: 32X P-CAV (max.) rewriting

CD-ROM: 48X CAV (max) reading

· Dimensions: 52 x 164 x 250 mm excluding front panel (W x H x L)

· DRX-810UL: Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 2000 / Windows XP

· Burst data transfer rate: Hi-Speed USB 2.0: 480 Mbit/s max; i.LINK interface: 400 Mbit/s max

· Random access time: 135 ms (CD-ROM), 130 ms (DVD-ROM)

· Buffer memory: 2 MB

· Buffer under-run error protection technology: Sony Power-Burn conformed

· Recording method (CD): Disc at Once, Track at Once, Session at Once, Packet Writing
(DVD): Random Access Write (DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW), Sequential Write (DVD+R/+R DL/+RW, DVD-R/-RW/CD-R/RW)

· Compatible disc format: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-DA, Video CD, Photo CD (multi-session), CD TEXT, CD Extra, and others
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Gen-An on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:21 pm

I've heard rumors this is a rebadged BenQ DW1640...
Gen-An
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:49 pm

Gen-An wrote:I've heard rumors this is a rebadged BenQ DW1640...

Bing bing bing.. you win the prize!

For the doubters.. check out the pics below. Look at the vents along the side:

Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 pm

what ???
not a Lite-On ???
what's happening ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby yuki chan on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:38 pm

Why would sony use a non lite-on product (don’t they have a majority of control in lite-on to begin with as almost all pcb’s from lite-on have the sony logo on them ?)
yuki chan
CD-RW Thug

Location: Mesa Arizona, Hannover Germany, Bremerhaven Germany

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:42 pm

Those are some good questions and I honestly don't know. Maybe someone with friends at Lite-On can tell us.

I kinda had a feeling something was up when Lite-On changing the naming scheme of their new drive from SOHW to SHW or whatever.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:54 pm

Lite-On naming schemes discussed here:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15163
however "S is for Sony" is still in SHW

actually SHW/SHR/SHC/SHD makes more sense than SOHW/SOHR/SOHC/SOHD if indeed the O stands for Optical. quite unnecessary.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Scour on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Hello!

That´s really strange :o

I thought that Sony has a contract with Liteon, and now Sony rebadge Benq? Maybe Sony is not happy with quality of Liteon?
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:06 pm

Scour wrote:Maybe Sony is not happy with quality of Liteon?

They wouldn't be the first... :lol:

At least it's a step in the right direction!
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Scour on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:23 pm

Hello!

I thought when I read that, that hard times are coming for Liteon... but maybe Liteon have now more ressources for NEC
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:37 pm

... and the placement of the emergency eject hole and bezel shape (for the black bezel). BTW, I was told that the "SO" in "SOHW" (and "SOHD", "SOHR", etc.) stood for "Sony" and not for "Sony Optical"...

This reminds me a little of the time when Sony turned to Optorite instead of LiteOn for their 12x model (and then going back to LiteOn for their 16x models). So the DRU-810A could just be another temporary break from the pattern, or it could be the end of the LiteOn-Sony alliance. *shrug*
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby yuki chan on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Benq also owns AU, so maybe sony is switching not only to receive ODDs but also LCDs?
yuki chan
CD-RW Thug

Location: Mesa Arizona, Hannover Germany, Bremerhaven Germany

Postby code65536 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:57 am

yuki chan wrote:Benq also owns AU, so maybe sony is switching not only to receive ODDs but also LCDs?

Just earlier this year, Sony invested a billion or so in a joint venture with Samsung for LCD production, so I doubt that they'd be so quick to abandon Samsung for someone else.
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby Bhairav on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:56 pm

This drive is available in India already, according to the distributors. 1000 rupees (25$) more than the Benq 1640 though, so I say *BOOOO* to stupid Sony and their stupid markups..
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby code65536 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:13 am

Is it more than the Plextor? ;)

Also, someone reminded me today that for one of its external DVD-writer models, Philips last year used a rebadged LiteOn and not a rebadged BenQ. So I guess infidelity runs high in the industry. ;) j/k
code65536
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:17 am

code65536 wrote:Is it more than the Plextor? ;)

Also, someone reminded me today that for one of its external DVD-writer models, Philips last year used a rebadged LiteOn and not a rebadged BenQ. So I guess infidelity runs high in the industry. ;) j/k

I think there are more than one external Philips made by Liteon. One drive is also with LS

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Darth on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:40 pm

the black faceplate doesn't have the cool factor that the white one has [-X
LG GSA-H42N DVD-RAM (RJ11, auroreset RPC2)
BenQ DW1655 DVD-RW (BCIB, RPC1)

Noise Control w/ Nero DriveSpeed 3.06
Darth
CD-RW Thug

Postby Bhairav on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:07 am

code65536 wrote:Is it more than the Plextor? ;)

LOL, no! Cheaper than the Plex 716 -> 3650 rupees for the Sony on the street, 3550 for the Benq, 5500 for the 716! Apparently, the prices I got from the distros were the MAX retail price, recommended price is nicely lower than that.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:04 pm

It appears that C1/C2 and PI/PIF scanning is disabled or at least doesn't work right on the 810A. I can't get it to run at the selected speed (runs at 0.5x) and in the case of PI/PIF, it doesn't return any results.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Scour on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 pm

Ian wrote:It appears that C1/C2 and PI/PIF scanning is disabled or at least doesn't work right on the 810A. I can't get it to run at the selected speed (runs at 0.5x) and in the case of PI/PIF, it doesn't return any results.

Using the latest version of Cdspeed?

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Scour wrote:Using the latest version of Cdspeed?

Yeah, hopefully Erik just needs to add support or something. I'd hate to see another neutered DW1640 clone.

Sony did go out of their way to add their fun SpeedRead technology. I just love having to enable it if I want to write CD's at 48x. :roll:
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to DVD Writers