Home News Reviews Forums Shop

C2 Spikes in Nero CD Speed

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

C2 Spikes in Nero CD Speed

Postby djm52 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 pm

I have started seeing isolated spikes in the Nero Disc Quality plots. The C2 spikes are usually about 2000 high. Sometimes they are repeatable, but sometimes a second pass will be clean, or will show a spike in a completely different location, as in the first two figures at:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/dmcguire/_nero.htm

I see this on discs I burn, and on discs given to me by friends. I see it on cheap blanks, and also on good ones - the examples are from a Taiyo Yuden burned by a friend.

It almost looks like the spikes are in playback, or perhaps it's just a problem with the NEC drive I use for these tests. My Lite-On drive doesn't show the spikes (see third plot , on same Taiyo Yuden). But the Lite-On is generally *much* better at error recovery than the NEC, and if I want to simulate what a typical player (car, discman, etc) will see, I try to use the NEC to run these tests.

Are these spikes real, or are they phantoms? I have listened to a few of these, on a boombox or on the NEC, and I don't hear any problem.

Thanks in advance.
djm52
Buffer Underrun

Postby MonsterMan on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:04 pm

I've never trusted NEC's for error testing.

The Lite-On drives are great for CD testing, not so great for DVD testing.

Benq's are great testers, too.

Since the spike only shows on the NEC, don't worry about it. I had an NEC that produced massive error spikes mid-burn on DVDs; but those showed up on the BenQ scans, too...
BenQ 1655, BenQ 1620, LG 4167, Plex PX-716SA, Samsung SH-S162L, SH-S182M, Pioneer 111D, Lite-On SHM-165H6S and 1.9TB of HDDs to feed 'em and an X2/4800 to crunch for 'em.
MonsterMan
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:48 am

C2-errors are not actually there on the media. It is the drive that sees something is wrong and reports a error.

It looks like the NEC for some reason (maybe a PUH (Pick Up Head) slip or something internally) reports a error. However these problems are non media related. It's pure a error from the drive.
Now some drives have more of these problems as others.

In short: The disc's are fine.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to Recordable Media Discussion