Home News Reviews Forums Shop


TFT Monitors purchased in the USA

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

TFT Monitors purchased in the USA

Postby murray on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:51 am

I start a new job shortly in the USA and my son would like me to purchase at 19" Flat screen monitor as they a lot cheaper there than the UK.

My problem is what about the monitors power supply, am I right in thinking that it is 120 in the States and 240 here, will I have any problems or will they work okay.

I also want to buy a digital camera there for the family but I have concerns over the Battery Charger, will it work okay in the UK because of the power difference.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Thanx in anticipation
murray
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:25 am

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:38 am

you can probably get a charger that is multi-voltage 110-240.
if you buy a camera that runs on (rechangble) AA batteries, then you surely can buy a charger for such rechargable batteries that runs on 240 or is multi-voltage.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Re: TFT Monitors purchased in the USA

Postby redk9258 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:51 am

murray wrote:I start a new job shortly in the USA and my son would like me to purchase at 19" Flat screen monitor as they a lot cheaper there than the UK.

My problem is what about the monitors power supply, am I right in thinking that it is 120 in the States and 240 here, will I have any problems or will they work okay.

I also want to buy a digital camera there for the family but I have concerns over the Battery Charger, will it work okay in the UK because of the power difference.

Any help on this would be appreciated

Thanx in anticipation


In the US and Canada our electrical supply is 120V 60Hz vs. your 240V 50Hz. Most things sold here are made for that. I have seen some electonics stuff that are switchable. These are mostly sold to military people who travel around the world. There are inexpensive travel adaptors available to convert 240V to 120V. I think most items are made to cope with 50 or 60 Hz (motors and older clocks might be a problem). You may be able to buy an accessory battery charger for your camera that is made for 240V 50Hz.

Good Luck.
User avatar
redk9258
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:44 pm
Location: Troy, Illinois

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:46 am

Some items, such as the Apple iPod charger, or, the charger for my Canon PowerShot G5, range in voltage from I think like 110 to 240. You would need a transformer to change the physical plug that you connect it to, but that would only cost a couple of dollars tops. Make sure it's 110-240 voltage compatible before you buy it.
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail

Postby pranav81 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:35 pm

redk9258 is right.

Most chargers have a voltage selector switch,using which you can select the appropriate voltage.


::Pranav::
Increasingly mathematics will demand the courage to face its implications.
User avatar
pranav81
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:57 am
Location: Solapur,Maharashtra,India

TFT Monitors purchased in the USA

Postby murray on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Hey Guys

Thanks a lot all of you for your helpful comments!!
murray
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:25 am

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:46 pm

aviationwiz wrote:Some items, such as the Apple iPod charger, or, the charger for my Canon PowerShot G5, range in voltage from I think like 110 to 240. You would need a transformer to change the physical plug that you connect it to, but that would only cost a couple of dollars tops. Make sure it's 110-240 voltage compatible before you buy it.

correction: a transformer is the device that converts 220V to 110V. not what you need (if you get a multi-voltage charger)
what aviationwiz menat was that you would need an adapter so that you can plug your american AC adapter into a european/whatever wall socket.

pranav81 wrote:Most chargers have a voltage selector switch,using which you can select the appropriate voltage.

most of them don't have a switch (well, not an external one that you have to flip manually). most of them automaticall detect the correct voltage themselves (it's not a sophisticated piece of equipment realy).

like i said in my previous post you can get chargers for rechargeable batteries that is multi voltage or is 220V
examples:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.php3 (scroll down and look at the kits)
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha ... harger.htm
(is multi-voltage)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:47 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
aviationwiz wrote:Some items, such as the Apple iPod charger, or, the charger for my Canon PowerShot G5, range in voltage from I think like 110 to 240. You would need a transformer to change the physical plug that you connect it to, but that would only cost a couple of dollars tops. Make sure it's 110-240 voltage compatible before you buy it.

correction: a transformer is the device that converts 220V to 110V. not what you need (if you get a multi-voltage charger)
what aviationwiz menat was that you would need an adapter so that you can plug your american AC adapter into a european/whatever wall socket.


Yup, my bad.
User avatar
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)
 
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:55 am
Location: Home of the Red Tail


Return to General Hardware Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.