Home News Reviews Forums Shop

That's Gold CD-Rs

Burn baby burn!

That's Gold CD-Rs

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:36 am

One of my friends recently spent some time in Japan, and she offered to get me something while she was there. I considered asking her to pick up a drive for me for a while, but decided that it would be far too expensive, and most drives when they are released come with very lame firmwares, so getting a drive 1 or 2 months early possibly, would not actually be THAT good a thing.

Sooooooo, I thought for a while, and I rememberd reading something about a limited edition Taiyo Yuden made Gold CD-R, sold under the "That's" brand name only in Japan. And I gave my friend the instructions of purchasing That's brand CD-Rs that said "Gold" on the packaging, for me. As it happens, she was able to find *1* 5pk, in all of her travels, and purchased it on my behalf, and as of Friday, it is now in my possession :D

The CD-Rs are Digital Audio discs, and indeed have a gold top layer, but still have the very blue Cyanine bottom. I can't read the Japanese packaging to save my life, but it LOOKS like they have a specialized top layer, similar to Mitsui's Diamond Coat.... but that's going by sight alone.

I don't plan on burning these discs anytime soon... as I would want to use them for very special things. This is by far the most rare CD-R in my collection... even beating out my Verbatim Gold CD-Rs (made by Kodak!).

Anyways, here are some pictures
Attachments
ThatsGold_FrontPackage.jpg
Front of Package
ThatsGold_FrontPackage.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
ThatsGold_BackPackage.jpg
Back of Package
ThatsGold_BackPackage.jpg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
ThatsGold_BackPackage(BLER).jpg
Close up of BLER picture
ThatsGold_BackPackage(BLER).jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:37 am

Here are some more pics, of the discs, and their ATIP
Attachments
ThatsGold_CDBack.jpg
Bottom of the CD-R
ThatsGold_CDBack.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
ThatsGold_CDFront.jpg
Top of the CD-R
ThatsGold_CDFront.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
ThatsGold_CD_SmartBurn.jpg
ATIP Info for the CD-R
ThatsGold_CD_SmartBurn.jpg (46 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:08 am

i take it that your hands were trembling with excitement and extacy while you were holding the camera :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby eric93se on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:14 am

yeah, dude you need to turn on the macro mode :D

So, whats the price in USD?
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:22 pm

dodecahedron wrote:i take it that your hands were trembling with excitement and extacy while you were holding the camera :wink:

Yes.... and my camera (actually my mother's camera) SUCKS at close ups... even on Macro mode, which I also used on some photos. I took about 13 photos, and the above ones were the "best" ones of the lot :o

Don't worry, once I can stop myself from spending hundreds of dollars on anime for a month or two, I'll be getting my own personal digital camera, that works better :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:24 pm

eric93se wrote:So, whats the price in USD?

Roughly $7.65 USD, or $9.15 CAD for a 5pk. My friend charged me $10 CAD for product and carrying it all over Japan and back :P I still think it's a good deal :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:11 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Don't worry, once I can stop myself from spending hundreds of dollars on anime for a month or two, I'll be getting my own personal digital camera, that works better :D

Like that will ever happen, :roll:
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:43 pm

aviationwiz wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:Don't worry, once I can stop myself from spending hundreds of dollars on anime for a month or two, I'll be getting my own personal digital camera, that works better :D

Like that will ever happen, :roll:

LOL.... ok, how about if I win the lottery? There're better chances of that happening I think :wink: :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives