Home News Reviews Forums Shop

The Face of Tomorrow

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

The Face of Tomorrow

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:47 pm

What is the face of London, New York, Paris? What does a Londoner, a New Yorker, a Parisian look like?

The Face of Tomorrow is a concept for a series of photographs that addresses the effects of globalization on identity.

The large metropolises of the world are magnets for migrants from all parts of the planet resulting in new mixtures of peoples. What might a typical inhabitant of this new metropolis look like in one or two hundred years if they were to become more integrated?
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:29 am

Census data is helpful in determining mixed ethnicities, but unfortunately, so many people are left out of the Census each time it rolls around. You have to figure that the actual number of non-caucasian (including mixed ethnicities) people in the United States is much higher than the Census shows.

Living in and around New York all my life, I can honestly say that I don't have one single picture in my mind of a New Yorker; rather, I have several. Italian guys in pizzerias, Puerto Ricans marching in the Puerto Rican Day Parade, Indian and Pakistani taxi drivers, African-Americans gathering at the Apollo Theater in Harlem...these are all images I have of New Yorkers. Not to mention the ubiquitous businessmen and women of all ethnicities walking around at all hours of the day. One may perceive my images as stereotypical, and in some ways they are, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. My wide range of pictures are there to prove a point: that when you combine such a broad scope of ethnicities and cultures into one confined space, mixing is bound to happen.

Personally, I think integration is a good thing. Even on a purely social level, it's much cooler to get to know someone who has multiple heritages. It gives two people a great deal more to talk about, and it's fascinating. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:59 am

I'm not sure how helpful census data is these days. It's not like when our grandparents came to this country. Then you were German or Polish, etc. Our parents were typically a mix of two or three of these nationalities. Now.. most kids are like 4 or more. Heck, I think my son is like 7 or 8 nationalities.

You guys ever see the South Park episode where the people from the future go back in time to find jobs? All of them looked the same due to the blending of nationalities. The guys that write for that show are geniuses sometimes.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby smartin4 on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:57 pm

You guys ever see the South Park episode where the people from the future go back in time to find jobs? All of them looked the same due to the blending of nationalities. The guys that write for that show are geniuses sometimes.[/quote]

That episode was hilarious.

I loved it when Stan freaked out in the fast food place and called them "Goddamn goo-backs" or something like that, and his parents had just walked in and were standing right behind him when he said it.
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 am

They took our jobs!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to The Beer Garden