Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Too good to be true? 100pk Taiyo Yuden 8x for $34 after MIR

Got a hot deal you want to share? Need one?

Too good to be true? 100pk Taiyo Yuden 8x for $34 after MIR

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:07 pm

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... a-100.html

I don't know what people's record here with SuperMediaStore is (I've bought a few cheap Laserjet 4P cartridges from them and those work fine, but that's it)...are they real or fakes? I'd easily snap up a 100-pack for this price if they're the real deal.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm

What do you think the minimal shiiping cost is?
User avatar
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:38 pm

It's either 4x ValueLine being sold at 8x, or being sold below cost, or counterfeit.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby hoxlund on Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:58 pm

ive boughten from supermediastore countless times in the past

always good transactions
Fractal Design Define R5 White Window Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X99A XPower AC USB 3.1 Motherboard
Intel i7-5930K CPU @ 4.8GHz
Corsair H100i GTX 240mm CPU Cooler
Mushkin Blackline 4x8GB DDR4 2400 Memory
Asus 980Ti Strix OC
User avatar
hoxlund
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 12:55 am
Location: RAF Lakenheath / Suffolk United Kingdom

Postby LoneWolf on Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:07 pm

CowboySlim wrote:What do you think the minimal shiiping cost is?


$8.07 ground shipped. Not that unusual.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
User avatar
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Meecheegan

Postby TCAS on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:18 pm

Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:51 pm

TCAS wrote:Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.


TCAS,

Didn't you do that last year?
Home Depot is on Cherry, just past Willow.
Office Depot is on Willow, just past Cherry. :P

Slim
User avatar
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:58 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:22 pm

TCAS wrote:Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.


Maxell, Fuji and Sony are almost entirely not made in Japan (especially Sony!). Buying Taiyo Yuden from a REPUTABLE dealer is much better then going through a "tier 1" brand name who will switch OEM's at a moments notice.

Please note, I am *NOT* making any comments as to *who* is considered reputable.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby TCAS on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
TCAS wrote:Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.


Maxell, Fuji and Sony are almost entirely not made in Japan (especially Sony!). Buying Taiyo Yuden from a REPUTABLE dealer is much better then going through a "tier 1" brand name who will switch OEM's at a moments notice.

Please note, I am *NOT* making any comments as to *who* is considered reputable.


All these brands (Fuji, Maxell, Sony) that are on sale here in US Best buy, Home Depot, CompUSA, are %1oo genuine and made in Japan. May be you guys do not get real brands in Canada.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:07 am

TCAS wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
TCAS wrote:Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.


Maxell, Fuji and Sony are almost entirely not made in Japan (especially Sony!). Buying Taiyo Yuden from a REPUTABLE dealer is much better then going through a "tier 1" brand name who will switch OEM's at a moments notice.

Please note, I am *NOT* making any comments as to *who* is considered reputable.


All these brands (Fuji, Maxell, Sony) that are on sale here in US Best buy, Home Depot, CompUSA, are %1oo genuine and made in Japan. May be you guys do not get real brands in Canada.


That's funny, because the confidential CD-ROM of presentations given out internally within Maxell to Maxell representatives only (*NOT* distributors) said quite the opposite. I also know it's not any different for Fuji. Sony has barely had ANY Japanese DVDRs in North America, it's MUCH more the exception then the rule, even more then Maxell or Fuji.

Of course, old stock DOES exist for Fuji and Maxell products, but most of it is gone. Maxell has serious probelms keeping stock right now, and that goes for their own Maxell made media, and even for Ritek media.

But hey, what do I know? I only spend an average of 18 hours a day working with, and in, the blank media industry. :roll:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby TCAS on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:52 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
TCAS wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
TCAS wrote:Even after MIR additing the shipment cost you have to pay at min $40+ for pack of 100, while you can buy top brand names (Maxell, Fuji, Sony) made in Japn for $40 per 100from Best Buy, CompUSA, HomeDepot, ......

P.S. You might Say hey these disc are TY, but the problem is by ordering them online you will never know if they are real and geniune TY?, or if they are made in Japan , Taiwan or even India.


Maxell, Fuji and Sony are almost entirely not made in Japan (especially Sony!). Buying Taiyo Yuden from a REPUTABLE dealer is much better then going through a "tier 1" brand name who will switch OEM's at a moments notice.


Please note, I am *NOT* making any comments as to *who* is considered reputable.


All these brands (Fuji, Maxell, Sony) that are on sale here in US Best buy, Home Depot, CompUSA, are %1oo genuine and made in Japan. May be you guys do not get real brands in Canada.


That's funny, because the confidential CD-ROM of presentations given out internally within Maxell to Maxell representatives only (*NOT* distributors) said quite the opposite. I also know it's not any different for Fuji. Sony has barely had ANY Japanese DVDRs in North America, it's MUCH more the exception then the rule, even more then Maxell or Fuji.

Of course, old stock DOES exist for Fuji and Maxell products, but most of it is gone. Maxell has serious probelms keeping stock right now, and that goes for their own Maxell made media, and even for Ritek media.

But hey, what do I know? I only spend an average of 18 hours a day working with, and in, the blank media industry. :roll:


Knowing false advertisement is a felony in US and is punishable, therefore when any Fuji, Maxell or Sony package of DVD+/-R says made in Japan and these discs being sold by reputable firm as Best Buy, CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot, I will take it for granted that the claim of manufacturing in Japan must be truth and nothing but a truth.
I suggest you better read the US trade laws.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:27 am

TCAS wrote:Knowing false advertisement is a felony in US and is punishable, therefore when any Fuji, Maxell or Sony package of DVD+/-R says made in Japan and these discs being sold by reputable firm as Best Buy, CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot, I will take it for granted that the claim of manufacturing in Japan must be truth and nothing but a truth.
I suggest you better read the US trade laws.


While is true that all three companies are Japanese, that does not require their products to be made in Japan. Most packaging will have both the company's info, and the products country of origin listed on the packaging. Also, in the case of Maxell, there have been far more then a few occasions where products labeled "Made in Japan" were in fact made in Taiwan. Maxell usually fixes this by adding a rather silly looking sticker on top of the spindle that says "made in Taiwan" on it, and is placed over the "made in Japan" section.

And just so you're aware. All the product sold in the US is sent in the same shipment as the product sold in Canada. All the part numbers are the same, and the country of origin is NOT printed on the boxes the spindles come in, only on the packaging of the products INSIDE the boxes. Which means that Maxell *CANNOT* discriminate between the two when shipping their products out.... well, not without opening each box to check, and BELIEVE ME, no matter what you say, they won't do that! (I've PERSONALLY tried to get them to do this!).

I believe that the same rules apply for Sony and Fuji with regard to all the product to be sold in Canada is exactly the same as the stuff sold in the US. Actually, it's all shipped to the US, and then the stuff to be sold in Canada is shipped from the US to Canada, from the big stock piles.

I have a VERY hard time believing that the US would have different stock then Canada. It would be too much of a hassle to arrange on the part of Maxell, Sony and Fuji... and further more, I just happen to know that it isn't happening.

And regarding US law, I don't think it has anything to do with me.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby TCAS on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:23 am

This message was deleted.
Last edited by TCAS on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby TCAS on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:27 am

Dolphinius_rex Wrote:


And regarding US law, I don't think it has anything to do with me.

I did not say US Laws has any thing to do with you , I said if you read the US trade laws you will find out how the law governs the trading business practices. If in you packaging you indicate made in Japan but in actuality that product is been made in another country then your business has commited felony and also your laible for the law suit.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:29 pm

TCAS wrote:Dolphinius_rex Wrote:


And regarding US law, I don't think it has anything to do with me.

I did not say US Laws has any thing to do with you , I said if you read the US trade laws you will find out how the law governs the trading business practices. If in you packaging you indicate made in Japan but in actuality that product is been made in another country then your business has commited felony and also your laible for the law suit.


What I think this is boiling down to is this:

You are saying (if I'm correct) that most if not all of Sony, Maxell and Fuji media is labeled to be and made in Japan.

I however am saying, that most of the older stock media, and 100% of the current stock media, from Sony, Maxell and Fuii, are made in Taiwan (or Malaysia in the case of Sony on occasion).
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby TCAS on Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:04 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
TCAS wrote:Dolphinius_rex Wrote:


And regarding US law, I don't think it has anything to do with me.

I did not say US Laws has any thing to do with you , I said if you read the US trade laws you will find out how the law governs the trading business practices. If in you packaging you indicate made in Japan but in actuality that product is been made in another country then your business has commited felony and also your laible for the law suit.


What I think this is boiling down to is this:

You are saying (if I'm correct) that most if not all of Sony, Maxell and Fuji media is labeled to be and made in Japan.

I however am saying, that most of the older stock media, and 100% of the current stock media, from Sony, Maxell and Fuii, are made in Taiwan (or Malaysia in the case of Sony on occasion).



I could settle for that, I have never said that all the Sony, Maxell or Fuji are made in Japan, I only claim if the package from these companies indicate or labeled made in Japan it is made in Japan but these brand also being made in Taiwan, and other places.
TCAS
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2001 8:00 pm


Return to Hot Deals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.