Burn baby burn!

Torn between Yamaha F1 and Plextor (40/48) drives

Postby 1_smack_for_2 on Thu May 29, 2003 7:11 am

Hi guys this is my first post I hope you can help me out. I'm looking to buy
a yamaha f1 or a plextor 48x.

My main concerns are the following:

Write Quality: Audio and Data
Can read Scratched disks: Audio and Data
And is media friendly or suitable for Memorex: T/Y or CMC quality, TDK.

The burner will be primarily used for making backups of psx and ps2 games,
1:1 copies of movies or on the fly copies, and occasionally for cd-da and mp3.
I dont use packet writing or cdr/w disks, but I might start though.

I've checked the following sites; cdrlabs, cdrinfo, cdrfreaks, ars tech, tomshardware, cnet,
...pretty much any review I can find for the Yamaha F1. And seen a few reviews of the Plextor 48/24/48A.

I like the idea of Advanced Audio Master in preserving the quality of audio cd's that
get scratched, but I've read on cdrinfo that Plextor is a better drive for data. Even though
Audio Master shortens the cd length, I can still play with MP3Pro in Nero to fit the files in right?
Or is it for audio cd's only.

I've ran into mixed reviews of reading scratched disks from the Yamaha and read that
Plextor is terrible for scratched disks. The tilting factor as of now is the price, seek times, and noise.

I would really be interested in hearing from both sides of the table (sort to speak) and
also from people who have both and find themselves favoring one over the other.

Thanks for reading.
1_smack_for_2
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu May 29, 2003 7:51 am

I can verify that the Yamaha F1 and Plextor 40/48 drives work well with CMC and TY media. Results for Memorex media and other media with these drives are here...

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Thu May 29, 2003 8:02 am

Best in audio cd writing quality: Yamaha F1

If you want to rip audio cds: Plextor (because Plextor can bypass audio cd copy protections that F1 can't AND has c1/c2 in Plextools AND because Yamaha's tend to break down at least on me when used extensively for high-speed ripping)

If you want longer term reliability: Plextor

If you want future support: Plextor

And please take note that I own both Yamaha and Plextor drives myself, find both to have their specific uses and personally prefer using them both.

regards,
Halc
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Thu May 29, 2003 12:54 pm

Halc wrote:Best in audio cd writing quality: Yamaha F1

If you want to rip audio cds: Plextor (because Plextor can bypass audio cd copy protections that F1 can't AND has c1/c2 in Plextools AND because Yamaha's tend to break down at least on me when used extensively for high-speed ripping)

If you want longer term reliability: Plextor

If you want future support: Plextor

And please take note that I own both Yamaha and Plextor drives myself, find both to have their specific uses and personally prefer using them both.

regards,
Halc

Plex makes a good drive, but their manuf quality has dropped significantly. The number of returns I've come across with the newer drives is much higher than it used to be with their earlier drives. 1610 is a tank.

I've had zero issues with audio protection and my F1. EAC does a solid job with error correction when it comes to audio. Zero issues with disc to disc copy as well.

Long term reliability... plenty of folks on the forum have very old Plextor and Yamaha drives. Unless you have drives from both companies that are a couple years old, seems to me you can't comment on that with much authority.

Future support... how much additional support is needed? The CDRW market and technology is mature. There aren't too many new players entering the CDR market. What else is needed?
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Thu May 29, 2003 2:22 pm

Write Quality: Audio and Data
Can read Scratched disks: Audio and Data
And is media friendly or suitable for Memorex: T/Y or CMC quality, TDK.

The burner will be primarily used for making backups of psx and ps2 games,
1:1 copies of movies or on the fly copies, and occasionally for cd-da and mp3.
I dont use packet writing or cdr/w disks, but I might start though.

Gotta jump in here just to say that LiteOn meets all these requirements at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Considering the rapid advances in technology and constant introduction of new drives, why would one want a drive that "lasts forever". Not that LiteOn's don't last forever, they haven't been around forever so we don't know, but there's no reason to think they don't.
The new Plextor Premium flagship is not producing any higher quality burns than the LiteOn does.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby 1_smack_for_2 on Thu May 29, 2003 8:08 pm

Wow. Thanks for your feedbacks. I'm going to wait a bit and see if i can get the yamaha f1 for a cheaper price, hopefully they will be around still. Otherwise, I'm going to get the Plextor. Maybe if I can get a LiteOn for cheap I'll use that as a temporary solution, until i run into problems.

Thanks again!
To die for knowledge, is to die in vain.
1_smack_for_2
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Thu May 29, 2003 9:32 pm

The LTR-48125W looks great for what you would do with it. Check out the Plextor Premium. Take a look at it, I'm getting one soon.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives