Home News Reviews Forums Shop

HD VMD Gets Nasty Copy Protection

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

HD VMD Gets Nasty Copy Protection

Postby Ian on Thu May 03, 2007 7:36 pm

I can't say that I've heard of Optikey before, but this technology sounds nasty.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070503/lath111.html?.v=57

Initial engineering assessments and evaluations are producing results that indicate the HD-VMD formats and the Optikey® submicron structures are highly compatible and a fully integrated system architecture will meet all established design goals.

The advantages of the Optikey® technology are:

* Optikey® is an Analog submicron three dimensional Optical Structure, it can't be Forged.

* Authentication can be accomplished with or without a connection to a central data-base.

* Optikey® is Non-Obsolescent, improvements in computer processing have no effect.

The Optikey®/HD-VMD system architecture will prevent the unauthorized reproduction of protected content on HD-VMD discs or any system that has our proprietary technology. Optikey® doesn't rely on digital encryption, however, it has been proven that when added to encryption systems as a pass/fail portal, it provides an unbreakable layer of protection for the digital domain. The submicron analog Optikey® structures provide precise threshold measurements to be matched with either a reference structure or discrete optical signatures. The Optikey®/HD-VMD system will be compatible with existing legacy formats.

So let me see... we have a physical "key" and database authentication? I think people are going to have a hard time breakign this one. Then again, I said that about AACS.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Wesociety on Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 pm

That does sound pretty nasty. :o

I wonder if these "advanced protection" claims will be able to woo over any of the major Hollywood studios to the HD-VMD format?
http://WesleyTech.com <- Blu-ray Disc & consumer technology news, opinions & articles
Wesociety
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu May 03, 2007 9:47 pm

It might considering AACS is pretty much worthless now.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Justin42 on Sun May 06, 2007 9:51 pm

Sounds like a meaningless press release to me. All they need to do is mention the Flux Capacitor to totally throw credibility out the window.

"submicron three dimensional structure"? Huh? "improvements in computer processing have no effect"? Hate to tell you, AACS wasn't brute-forced. The harder you make something to brute-force the harder someone will look for a more 'elegant' way around it.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives