Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What the heck is Red-ray?

Blu-ray Disc Writers, BD Combo and BD-ROM Drives

What the heck is Red-ray?

Postby Ian on Tue May 27, 2008 8:58 pm

Anyone else see this article? I'm not sure if someone is trying to start a new trend or if the Chinese are actually marketing this technology as "red-ray." As far as I can tell, its nothing more than China's old HD FVD format.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22175 ... flag-china

Chinese research firm CCID Consulting said that the country's independently developed Red-ray high-definition DVD has made great progress in terms of resolution and capacity, and has a price advantage over Blu-ray.

However, Red-ray lacks content provider support so the biggest test will be building up an industrial supply chain, including optical head, chip, whole machine, disk and content.

Nevertheless, CCID believes that Red-ray and Blu-ray are now the two major camps in China's high-definition DVD market.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Ian on Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Ugh.. its coming from the consulting firm. I take it english isn't their first language and that red-ray was due to a poor translation.

http://www.ccidconsulting.com/E_import/ ... t_id=15253

Sony blue-ray HD DVD comes into market in China’s 60 cities in 2008, but expensive price and disks’ shortage are still the bottleneck of restricting blue-ray DVD’s development. China’s independent developing red-ray HD DVD has great progress on the aspects of resolution and capacity; compared with blue-ray, it has price advantage, but it needs content providers’ support. Whether China’s HD red-ray could build up industrial chain which includes optical head, chip, whole machine, disk and content is the biggest test. With the market’s development, red-ray and blue-ray are the two major camp in China’s HD DVD market.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby CowboySlim on Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 am

It's the visible spectrum coming off my neck! :P
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Grain on Wed May 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Ian wrote:Ugh... that red-ray was due to a poor translation.

Sony blue-ray HD DVD comes into market in China’s 60 cities in 2008, but expensive price and disks’ shortage are still the bottleneck of restricting blue-ray DVD’s development. China’s independent developing red-ray HD DVD has great progress on the aspects of resolution and capacity; compared with blue-ray, it has price advantage, but it needs content providers’ support. Whether China’s HD red-ray could build up industrial chain which includes optical head, chip, whole machine, disk and content is the biggest test. With the market’s development, red-ray and blue-ray are the two major camp in China’s HD DVD market.

LOL, damn Sony and their new fangled blue-ray HD DVD!
Hi-Def Format Neutral
Samsung BD-1400, PS3 40GB
Toshiba HD-A2, HD-XA2 & XBox 360 HD DVD
Grain
CD-RW Player

Re: What the heck is Red-ray?

Postby richie on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:50 pm

I do not know where you get your info but Red Ray is not even in the same ballpark as blu ray. Red Ray is going to repalce film it is a 4k format that is 4000 lines of resolution. And not by no foriegn it is strictly US http://www.red.com/nab/redray/
richie
Buffer Underrun

Return to Blu-ray Disc Drives