Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What is up with websites and "exclusives"?

What was that?

What is up with websites and "exclusives"?

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 pm

It amazes me how many websites claim to have "exclusives". Do they even know what an exclusive is? Let's look the word up in the dictionary.

ex·clu·sive
n.
A news item initially released to only one publication or broadcaster.

So by definition, it would be an exclusive if they were the only one to review a product or technology. It is not an exclusive if a) someone else has already done it or b) they're just first of many people to do it.

I think I'm going to be sending a few people dictionaries for Christmas next year. :D
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Re: What is up with websites and "exclusives"?

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:08 pm

Ian wrote:It amazes me how many websites claim to have "exclusives". Do they even know what an exclusive is? Let's look the word up in the dictionary.

ex·clu·sive
n.
A news item initially released to only one publication or broadcaster.

So by definition, it would be an exclusive if they were the only one to review a product or technology. It is not an exclusive if a) someone else has already done it or b) they're just first of many people to do it.

I think I'm going to be sending a few people dictionaries for Christmas next year. :D

But shipping to Europe is so expensive! :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves