Home News Reviews Forums Shop

When updating my CDRW firmware...

Burn baby burn!

When updating my CDRW firmware...

Postby Harrier on Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:51 am

When updating my CDRW firmware should i update it to the latest version or should i go up with the versions (1->2->3->4 etc.)?
Are new improvements implemented in the existed firmware and called by a new name or is a totaly new file?

I know the answer seems obvious but anyway..
Thanks.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:48 am

There is no reason to go sequentially through all the versions. Just update directly to the latest version. Each file is completely self-contained with all the information it requires, and does not depend on previous versions.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Han on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:24 pm

Read the instructions. If there is an explicit demand for sequential firmware update, do follow it!

For the update process, PIO mode is preferred.

After a successful update and restart of the system it's recommended to delete the drive and its channel from Device Manager and restart again, so that Windows redetects the"new" drive properly. Then ckeck whether DMA mode is enabled...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Wedge Maniac on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:31 pm

Han wrote:Read the instructions. If there is an explicit demand for sequential firmware update, do follow it!

For the update process, PIO mode is preferred.

After a successful update and restart of the system it's recommended to delete the drive and its channel from Device Manager and restart again, so that Windows redetects the"new" drive properly. Then ckeck whether DMA mode is enabled...

Would this apply when using Mtkflash? I'm thinking of flashing my TDK 4800B to the new firmware available at TDK's website.

EDIT/ When flashing with TDK's new firmware, it simply says to execute the file, then click flash, then reboot /EDIT
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:48 pm

Wedge Maniac wrote:Would this apply when using Mtkflash? I'm thinking of flashing my TDK 4800B to the new firmware available at TDK's website.

EDIT/ When flashing with TDK's new firmware, it simply says to execute the file, then click flash, then reboot /EDIT

TDK's firmware can be flashed through windows. There is no real need to change to PIO mode when flashing your TDK. I have the same drive you do, so I'm speaking from personal experience. Just follow the directions given by TDK.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:04 am

Thanks bud :)
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives