Core 2 is right around the corner (yippie!)...I'm planning on nabbing a 965-based mobo.
The problem? The ones I've seen only have a single PATA port - and I have 5 DVD burners (4 PATA/1 SATA).
So, the problem:
1. PX-716 - It's a SATA, so it's in by default. My best DVD+R DL burner (I burn alot of 'em).
2. Benq 1655 - Some of the best write quality I've seen, and the ability to rip discs that even choke the Plex. Lightscribe is a nice bonus. Better than the 1620 with TYs, though.
3. LG-4167 - My fastest drive and the one that burns to TYs the best - makes it my main data backup drive right now.
4. Benq 1620 - The best all-around burner on the planet; also the best at burning Verbatiums/Imation MBI discs (PIE=.99!). Plus my main scanning drive. My least used drive (trying to save it for critical data backups), since it can't be replaced since stupid BenQ discontinued it.
5. Samsung S162L - currently my main ripper. Burning LS discs on this now to save wear-and-tear on the 1655. The drive I use to burn the crap I don't care about (ie, 99.9% of my movie backups (since I still have the orginals, I can just rerip them if needed) or stuff for friends (since I don't care about the quality of their stuff
So there it is; each drive I have I have for a reason...I care very much about quality, since 90+% of what I burn is data discs, not movies.
The 1620 seems like a shoe-in, but I don't want to use it except for the really important stuff, so everything else would fall to the Plex and PATA drive #2...
I may just grab a PATA controller card, but I have NOT had good luck with those in the past (with HDDs, though). How are opticals on those things? Biggest con for one is the old Promise card I used to have added a TON of time to the system boot...NOT cool.
Edit: Oh yeah, check out the preview of the upcoming Abit 965 mobo:
Look at the pics...see the PATA port? WTF were those idiots smoking to put it there!?! No Abit for me this time, that's for damn sure! And what's with the scattering of the SATA ports all over the stupid board? Idiots...
BenQ 1655, BenQ 1620, LG 4167, Plex PX-716SA, Samsung SH-S162L, SH-S182M, Pioneer 111D, Lite-On SHM-165H6S and 1.9TB of HDDs to feed 'em and an X2/4800 to crunch for 'em.