Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Which CD-R for archiving videos?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

Which CD-R for archiving videos?

Postby osman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:43 am

Hi !

Do you recommend Verbatim DataLife Plus CD-R for archiving videos or which brand do you recommend for video archiving?

Thank you
osman
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 am

Postby evilboy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:31 am

I recommend Plextor, That's, Verbatim Pastel Disc CD-R (all Made in Japan TY).

Verbatim DataLifePlus is ok, but rather average nowadays as Moser Baer India makes them. As MBI originally was started as a clock making plant, the quality of MBI CD-R are below average. They should go back making clocks again :P
evilboy
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:17 pm

I recommend avoiding unbranded TY (Taiyo Yuden) CD-Rs. The Maxell Pro CD-Rs are probably the best. They are a high grade TY CD-R with a protective coating. Verbatim Datalife Plus isn't too bad either, neither is Plextor or That's brand TY, but I'd place them all below the Maxell Pro CD-Rs.

Avoid Fuji TY!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby evilboy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:28 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I recommend avoiding unbranded TY (Taiyo Yuden) CD-Rs. The Maxell Pro CD-Rs are probably the best. They are a high grade TY CD-R with a protective coating. Verbatim Datalife Plus isn't too bad either, neither is Plextor or That's brand TY, but I'd place them all below the Maxell Pro CD-Rs.

Avoid Fuji TY!
Why is Fuji TY so bad?

My That's are ceramic coat and I like them, but not all are ceramic coated.

I would use:
1. Maxell Pro (Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden)
2. That's Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden)
3. Plextor (Taiyo Yuden)
4. That's non-Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden)
5. Verbatim Extra Protection (only the Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden, the made in China and made in India Extra Protection are only average but not really good!)
6. Unbranded TY Printable
7. Verbatim Pastel Disc (Taiyo Yuden)
8. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in Taiwan or China by CMC Magnetics)
9. HP (Made in China by CMC Magnetics)
10. Unbranded TY shiny silver
11. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in India by Moser Baer)
12. Mitsui/MAM-A (Made in the USA by MAM-A)
13. BenQ (Made in Malaysia by Daxon)
14. Maxell (Made in China by Ritek)
15. Ridata (Made in China by Ritek)

Stuff below 10. or 11. only for daily use 8)
evilboy
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:00 pm

1. Maxell Pro (Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden)
2. That's Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden) (if it was available in North America :P)
3. Verbatim Medical Grade CD-Rs (White Thermal Printable, made in Taiwan by CMC).
4. Plextor (Taiyo Yuden)
5. That's non-Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden) (if it was available in North America)
6. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics)
7. Verbatim Pastel Disc (Taiyo Yuden)
8. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in India by Moser Baer)
9. HP (Made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics) (Watch for counterfeit!!)
10. Unbranded TY Printable
11. Unbranded TY shiny silver
12. BenQ (Made in Malaysia by Daxon)
13. Maxell (Made in Taiwan by Ritek)
14. Ridata (Made in Taiwan by Ritek)
15. Mitsui/MAM-A (Made in the USA by MAM-A)


And the reason I don't EVER recommend Fuji TY is because I've seen way too many bad batches of it around. I would classify it as roughly RiData or MAM-A quality/longevity.

As for TY unbranded media, I'm seeing more and more with laquer problems, and also printable surface issues.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby [buck] on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:43 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:And the reason I don't EVER recommend Fuji TY is because I've seen way too many bad batches of it around. I would classify it as roughly RiData or MAM-A quality/longevity.

I don't think that's fair... you're basing your opinion on some questionable Fuji branded TY DVD±Rs that were sold about 2 years ago. I have never heard any such reports for Fuji branded TY CD-Rs, and I see no evidence to suggest the problems associated with some Fuji branded TY DVD±R would have implications in Fuji TY CD-Rs nearly 2 years after the fact.

Having said that, my list would go something like this:

1. Maxell CD-R Pro
2. That's Ceramic Coat CD-R
3. Verbatim Extra Protection TY CD-R (I've heard the Extra Protection surface is pretty similar to That's ceramic coat)
4. Plextor CD-R
5. Fuji TY CD-R
6. Verbatim Super Azo/DataLifePlus CD-R (MIT/MIC by CMC)
7. Verbatim Super Azo/DataLifePlus CD-R (MII by Moser Baer)
8. Unbranded TY CD-R
9. -
10. -
11. -
12. Everything else!
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:56 pm

[buck] wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:And the reason I don't EVER recommend Fuji TY is because I've seen way too many bad batches of it around. I would classify it as roughly RiData or MAM-A quality/longevity.

I don't think that's fair... you're basing your opinion on some questionable Fuji branded TY DVD±Rs that were sold about 2 years ago. I have never heard any such reports for Fuji branded TY CD-Rs, and I see no evidence to suggest the problems associated with some Fuji branded TY DVD±R would have implications in Fuji TY CD-Rs nearly 2 years after the fact.

No I'm not.... there have been reports of bad Fuji CD-Rs as well. Fuji has a remarkably bad habit of either screwing up TY products, or being sold bad TY products. Mind you I'm not sure how much better unbranded TY is then Fuji now either...

And I could say that YOU are biased, since the only reason you rank Fuji TY CD-Rs so cheap is because you get them almost for free, and because you hate shiny silver surfaces, and the Fuji's are branded :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby evilboy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:And I could say that YOU are biased, since the only reason you rank Fuji TY CD-Rs so cheap is because you get them almost for free, and because you hate shiny silver surfaces, and the Fuji's are branded :wink:
This avoids trouble at least =D>
evilboy
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am

Postby RJW on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Well I personally find it strange that folks are recommending media they haven't used themselves.

I will be putting my list of still available( in europe) which I personally used myself in a couple of days up.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby SkaarjMaster on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:55 pm

"Maxell Pro (Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden)"
So these are the best CD-Rs right now?

Are these the unbranded TY CD-Rs that you say have lacquer or printable surface problems?
http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... TAIYOYUDEN

I have a stack I bought around 6-8 months ago that I haven't touched yet. Hopefully, these are still good. 8)
SKAARJ-LAPTOP: Asus G750JW-NH71
SKAARJMASTERDUO: WinXPSP3,C2D E8600,Gigabyte EP45-UD3P,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T.
DRAGONSLAYER (bye): WinXPSP3,P4 3.2,Asus P4800-Deluxe,LG GH22LP20,Asus E616P3,Lite-On LTR-52327S.
User avatar
SkaarjMaster
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:06 pm
Location: Sarasota, Florida USA

Postby evilboy on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:39 pm

RJW wrote:Well I personally find it strange that folks are recommending media they haven't used themselves.
It is guessing with information from the manufacturers themselves and user reports.

Here in Germany we see lots of MIC (CMC, Prodisc...) CD-R but MIT CD-R is rather rare. Seems to be the other way round in the Dolphin land... :roll:

FYI, I have used That's Ceramic Coat CD-R, and I'm lovin' it! =P~
evilboy
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:41 am

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:26 pm

I guess I should clarify my list a bit :P

1. Maxell Pro (Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden)
2. That's Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden) (if it was available in North America )
3. Verbatim Medical Grade CD-Rs (White Thermal Printable, made in Taiwan by CMC).
4. Plextor (Taiyo Yuden)
5. That's non-Ceramic Coat (Taiyo Yuden) (if it was available in North America)
6. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics)
7. Verbatim Pastel Disc (Taiyo Yuden)
8. Verbatim Super Azo (Made in India by Moser Baer)
9. HP (Made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics) (Watch for counterfeit!!)
10. Unbranded TY Printable
11. Unbranded TY shiny silver
12. BenQ (Made in Malaysia by Daxon)
13. Maxell (Made in Taiwan by Ritek)
14. Ridata (Made in Taiwan by Ritek)
15. Mitsui/MAM-A (Made in the USA by MAM-A)


I've used all the ones in bold :wink: But the Plextor brand stuff I've only used one or two of, since I only get it in Plextor Brand burners :P
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby RJW on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:45 pm

evilboy wrote:
RJW wrote:Well I personally find it strange that folks are recommending media they haven't used themselves.
It is guessing with information from the manufacturers themselves and user reports.

Here in Germany we see lots of MIC (CMC, Prodisc...) CD-R but MIT CD-R is rather rare. Seems to be the other way round in the Dolphin land... :roll:

FYI, I have used That's Ceramic Coat CD-R, and I'm lovin' it! =P~


Yeah but compare Buck's with your list and you see that the plextor TY disc's were rated lower as the extra protection verbatim's is weird.
I have used both and as you also listed yourself the plextors are the better disc's.

Incase of that's ceramic coat I haven't used them but if they come anywhere near the quality of my old EMTEC (made by TY) ceramic coated disc's then I can understand why you rated these number 1. Because the emtec ceramic ty's were probably the best disc's I('ve) use(d). (Still got some left for special cases.). And that makes me wonder how good those maxell pro TY's are.

Currently busy with re-testing some old media after that reburning newer stock to see how things are these days.
Trying to make something "foolproof" only forces nature to make a better fool.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands


Return to Recordable Media Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.