Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which Inkjet Printable disc? BeAll? BenQ? Optodisc?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Which Inkjet Printable disc? BeAll? BenQ? Optodisc?

Postby thegdog on Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:17 pm

I need to pick up some inkjet printable DVD+R media (printable to the hub) for my BenQ 1640 drive. I am currently using firmware BSMB, if that makes a difference.

I was looking at the following:
BeAll 16x DVD+R (BeAll000PG0)
BeAll 8x DVD+R (BeAll000P80)
BenQ 8x DVD+R (most likely DAXON...AZ2)
Optodisc 16x DVD+R (OPTODISC R16 ?)

I've read through and looked at scans on various forums and checked out reports at VideoHelp.com, but I'm not sure if the media being tested was on inkjet printable media or just normal media. I know that with other brands, there have been performance differences between the two.

Any recommendations on what inkjet printable media to get? Or maybe something else?

(And I know that many people would recommend TY, even though others are saying that TY is having some serious issues with bonding right now. I'd like to keep the discs on the more moderately priced side. All of the above are about $31 for a 100 piece spindle, which is about the price of what Verbatim and Fuji media goes for when on sale at Best Buy or Office Max.)

Thanks for any suggestions!
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:25 pm

If you're concerned about bonding enough to rule out TY, then don't get BenQ DVDRs! Daxon puts special effort into the Sony brand media they make, but their own BenQ brand media doesn't get the same respect! The bonding on it is worse then both Taiyo Yuden, and even Prodisc! (Prodisc having also worse bonding then TY).

Between BeAll and Optodisc, I'd expect Optodisc to have better support. You may want to burn the 16x DVD+Rs at 12x or 8x for best results though.

One more thing.... if the Optodisc isn't A Grade, then it's not going to be much better then Prodisc or TY for bonding. A Grade Optodisc is really good for bonding though!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:30 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:If you're concerned about bonding enough to rule out TY, then don't get BenQ DVDRs!

I was ruling out TY just based on cost, since they are like 2 - 2.5x times as expensive as the other brands.
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby thegdog on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:31 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:One more thing.... if the Optodisc isn't A Grade, then it's not going to be much better then Prodisc or TY for bonding. A Grade Optodisc is really good for bonding though!

Is the Optodisc-branded media sold at Meritline considered A Grade? I know that might be a loaded question, but if anyone would know... :)
thegdog
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:46 pm

thegdog wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:One more thing.... if the Optodisc isn't A Grade, then it's not going to be much better then Prodisc or TY for bonding. A Grade Optodisc is really good for bonding though!

Is the Optodisc-branded media sold at Meritline considered A Grade? I know that might be a loaded question, but if anyone would know... :)

Well.... I'd ask my contact, but he's away until Jan 2nd.... and he'll be gone shortly after to CES. How about.... I *THINK* it's A Grade. B Grade has been hard to come by lately, and 16x is even MORE rare (never actually stocked at Optodisc America, unlike 8x B grade)... so I think you've got a more then decent chance.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers