Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Who should I trust ?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Who should I trust ?

Postby TidusTheCoolest on Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:11 am

A computer store told me that the PC they selling with Asustek P4SGL- 650 GL motherboard can be fitted with Rentium 4 2.53 GHz cpu .

When I checked at the motherboard Asustek website , it revealed that the motherboard only support P4 1.4 GHz - 2.0 GHz .

Is it possible to have P4 2.53 GHz fitted into the motherboard ? :roll:
TidusTheCoolest
CD-RW Thug

Postby Han on Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:23 am

I guess it's possible, since SiS650 chipset supports 133 MHz bus. BUT, this board is a bad choice. It's small, cheap and has a SiS chipset.

If you're buying Intel processor, go for Intel chipset based mobo!
Han
CD-RW PiMP

SIS chipset bad? I think not.

Postby Kadrien on Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:45 pm

SiS chipsets are inexpensive, sure, but they've been outperforming RDRAM based Intel mobos for a while now. Don't believe me? Check out a review on Tom's Hardware Guide of the SiS 648 chipset. And keep in mind that Intel wouldn't validate faster RAM for it's DDR based chipsets because its performance came too close to its flagship product while being signifigantly cheaper.
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/0 ... index.html
The SiS645 performed very well as well.
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/0 ... index.html
It seems, though, that your PC store was mistaken, unless the BIOS in fact lets you run a 533mhz FSB, but I wouldn't risk it if the mobo maker hasn't validated it. Go for another chipset like the SiS648. Remember, though, that the 650 also has integrated graphics and the Asustek motherboard has no AGP slot for upgrades.
Kadrien
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:49 pm

Regardless of any benchmark tests of SIS chipsets, be cautious that you will have compatibility with all required devices on your computer.

Although SIS has very good performance figures, if you have problems enabling DMA or other chipset driver issues, theoretical performance is not much of a consolation.

I have nothing against SIS, but you may have more compatiblity problems with SIS than with VIA or Intel.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby sonyman on Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:58 pm

The site only posts compatibility with chips that they have tested. Once they release a new board/chipset, less attention is focused on testing older products.

-Scott
sonyman
CD-RW Thug

Postby Kadrien on Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:03 pm

I've read several reviews on Tom's Hardware Guide where they point out compatability problems with various chipsets. They also run benchmarks other then PC Mark et. al. I don't consider a Quake III framerate test a "theoretical" benchmark if I plan on playing Quake III on my computer. :)
Kadrien
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion