Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Why am I me?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Postby bill on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:37 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Boba_Fett wrote:That is some deep shit. All I know (and think is true) is what that one dude said: I think, therefore I am!


I prefer the line:

"I might think, therefor I could be."

10 points if you know where that is a quote from! :wink:



OK, I give up and no other replys..Who???
bill
CD-RW Supplier
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:30 pm
Location: USA

Postby leg4li2ed0pe on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:17 am

BigMonkey wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
Boba_Fett wrote:That is some deep shit. All I know (and think is true) is what that one dude said: I think, therefore I am!


I prefer the line:

"I might think, therefor I could be."

10 points if you know where that is a quote from! :wink:



OK, I give up and no other replys..Who???


If I had to take a guess I would guess Heisenberg.
User avatar
leg4li2ed0pe
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Postby JamieW on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:59 am

"The only solution is that there is no "I" at all."

This is false. You've not given the arguments that don't have a clear answer sufficient audition. You also are seeking an answer which you understand and/or have experienced. Neither of which is required for the answer to be valid.

"Obviously the way I describe this whole thing is off, because there is no "I" sitting behind each of my friends or me for that matter."

Yes, there is. You are trying to create a singular "I" when you have said but missed your own point. "I" is a matter of perspective of which many can exist without making any other one untrue.

You also could not be someone else because then that someone else would become "I" and the same exact question would be asked.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
User avatar
JamieW
Chicken Farmer
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby Bhairav on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:18 pm

leg4li2ed0pe wrote:
BigMonkey wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:
Boba_Fett wrote:That is some deep shit. All I know (and think is true) is what that one dude said: I think, therefore I am!


I prefer the line:

"I might think, therefor I could be."

10 points if you know where that is a quote from! :wink:



OK, I give up and no other replys..Who???


If I had to take a guess I would guess Heisenberg.


The Uncertainty Principle guy?
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
User avatar
Bhairav
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:44 am
Location: Bombay,India

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:51 pm

bhairavp wrote:The Uncertainty Principle guy?

LOL
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
User avatar
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon
 
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:04 am
Location: Israel

Postby jase on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:34 pm

None of this is real. I just make it up in my spare time.
jase
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby leg4li2ed0pe on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:23 pm

JamieW wrote:"The only solution is that there is no "I" at all."

This is false. You've not given the arguments that don't have a clear answer sufficient audition. You also are seeking an answer which you understand and/or have experienced. Neither of which is required for the answer to be valid.

"Obviously the way I describe this whole thing is off, because there is no "I" sitting behind each of my friends or me for that matter."

Yes, there is. You are trying to create a singular "I" when you have said but missed your own point. "I" is a matter of perspective of which many can exist without making any other one untrue.

You also could not be someone else because then that someone else would become "I" and the same exact question would be asked.


My point about the only solution being no ego is that if an ego does exist than the ego it self must have an ego and that ego must have an ego, back to infinity. If not, then there was no necessity for an ego to begin with. This is really similar to the idea that the universe needs a creator so there is god, but nobody created got? That doesn't make sense, you would have to have gods back to infinity. So why not just make the universe doing things spontaniously on its own. So the same thing can be applied to individules, negating the need for an ego.

On your point that there is in fact an ego, and that I contradict my self, I admit to contradiction. Thats why its so complicated. If you really think about it no ego exists at all, there is no observer sitting in my head looking through my eyes and hearing through my ears. There is no disctintion in the brain between conscious and unconscious. And yet I feel as though I observe. This is my dilema.

Obviously I would be asking the same question if I was someone else. This does not, however, invalidate the question. What choses who "I" am? Thats my real question. I've sort of decided since writing the original post that asking this question is similar to asking who decides there is a computer monitor in front of me and a keyboard at my fingertips? I think its just part of the spontanious dance of energy. But I am still not totally satisfied by this answer.
User avatar
leg4li2ed0pe
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Postby socheat on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:15 pm

leg4li2ed0pe wrote:My point about the only solution being no ego is that if an ego does exist than the ego it self must have an ego and that ego must have an ego, back to infinity. If not, then there was no necessity for an ego to begin with. This is really similar to the idea that the universe needs a creator so there is god, but nobody created got? That doesn't make sense, you would have to have gods back to infinity. So why not just make the universe doing things spontaniously on its own. So the same thing can be applied to individules, negating the need for an ego.


Can't really say much about the rest of your post, but what you said above is similar to the "What came first the chicken or the egg?" question. I was surprised to learn years ago that question was more than just elementary school entertainment. What came first, consciousness or physical existence?
User avatar
socheat
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Postby JamieW on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:46 pm

I still think you aren't prepared enough to accept that you may not understand the answers. The universe is a big place with lots of shit in it. I'm saying, there's a chance of there being things we don't understand and stuff. I'm not even talking about god, just limitations of man and comprehension at any given time.

I'm not saying that infinite supporting ego/god/whatever is the answer, but just because you don't understand it doesn't make it not the answer. You may also be seeking something you won't know what it looks like even if you find it.

This, and realizing that the questions are ultimately futile and currently unanswerable, is why I gave up on these pursuits. I wasn't getting anything out of it.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
User avatar
JamieW
Chicken Farmer
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby leg4li2ed0pe on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:02 am

I certainly know that I don't know all the answers. That was why I asked the original question. Theres just alot of things I don't know. I just ask the questions for kicks essentially. Its fun.
User avatar
leg4li2ed0pe
CD-RW Thug
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Previous

Return to The Beer Garden

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.