Q: How do I post my quality scans?
A: Inside of the Writing Quality Results forum, please select the appropriate thread for the brand and model of drive that burned the disc that you want to post a scan of. Inside of the approprite drive thread, create a new post. Using the attach image function, please attach the image of the scan you wish to post. Then, in the main body of the new message, please post the following information:
- What media did you burn? (Brand name, and Rated Speed) (Country of
origin is optional)
- What MID code is on the media you burned?
- What drive did you burn the media with? (Brand, Model#) (Country of origin is optional)
- What firmware version was on the drive when you burned the disc?
- What other options may have affected the burn? (I.E. SolidBurn?, WOPC?, Autostrategy?, HyperTuning?)
- Additional notes (Is it a faked MID code? Is the media 8 months old?)
Please ensure that the picture you upload is complete. Your image should include the information about what drive was used to MAKE the quality scan as well. If this information is missing from your image, please include it in the body of your post.
Please DO NOT post anything other then the information requested above. If you want to discuss various drive/media combinations, or make comments about your or other people's quality scans, please post in the appropriate section of the forum.
Q: How many quality scans can I post at a time?
A: Please only post scans from a single disc in one message. You may post up to 3 different scans or tests done on that one disc in a single post, but if you including multiple scans from multiple discs at one time, it will become very confusing. Any post with multiple scans from different discs will be deleted by the moderators.
Q: What if my drive doesn't have an approprite forum for posting scans in?
A: If you do not see your drive listed, please try the forum's search function. If you still cannot find a thread for your drive, contact a moderator.
Q: Which drives am I able to use for making quality scans, that I can post images of here?
A: We would prefer if only BenQ, Plextor, and Lite-On drives were used for the quality scans posted here.
Q: What speeds should I run my tests at?
A: That depends on what drive you're using. Generally the following is recommended and preferred:
- Lite-On DVD Burners - test at 4x CLV
- BenQ DVD Burners - test at 8x CAV
- Plextor DVD Burners - test at 2x CLV
If you wish to test at other speeds, we request that you include a reference test using one of the above methods in the same post.
Q: What is the minimum amount of data (MB) that should be on a disc to consider the scan worth posting?
A: Please keep it to at least 4GB on the disc, otherwise it won't be a very good test of the media's quality. Scans of full discs are of course preferred, but not required.
Q: What software should I be using for making my quality scans?
A: Once again, this depends on what drive you're using.
- Lite-On drives - K-Probe, DVDInfoPro, and Nero CD/DVD Speed.
- BenQ drives - DVDInfoPro, and Nero CD/DVD Speed.
- Plextor drives - PXScan and PlexTools. DVDInfoPro also works, but it doesn't report Beta scores yet.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs