Home News Reviews Forums Shop

YAMAHA DISCONTINUES CD-RW RECORDER PRODUCT LINE

Burn baby burn!

Postby Halc on Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:18 am

Yamaha and/or Ian,

I have a final request to Yamaha to consider.

Even though Yamaha has exited the CDRW business, there are still many users who have bought or will buy more Yamaha burners (still in the retail chain).

In fact, I have just ordered two more F1 drives for myself today.

However, I would find even more use of these drives, if Yamaha would release some information about how to implement the AMQ (AudioMaster) burning features in various burning programs.

I'm especially thinking of Andre Wiethoff (programmer of EAC) and some other authors of useful CDRW utilities.

Also, if Yamaha has implemented special commands in their chipset (for example C1/C2 error reporting) that are not publicly known, I'm sure MANY software makers would be eager to implement these in their software, if they were available.

Is this information easily availble, could you please point me to it? If it is not, can you please consider making this kind of information available (even under NDA) to software makers?

I know it may not be in the best business interest of Yamaha Corp, as it probably wants the whole channel to be clear from Yamaha drives as soon as possible (along with all outstanding warranties).

While this is understandable from the point of view of saving on support and managing write-off costs, I think Yamaha could still consider releasing this information and extending the useful lifespan of their products to their former (and current!) loyal customers.

At least to me, this would be a sign of a company that I can trust with my purchases in the future as I have been able to do in the past.

Best regards,
Halcyon
(real name available on request)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:16 pm

Tall Texan wrote:Thats good to know. A question for all of you who have an F1 what is the best media to use for the tattooing. Thanks in advance for any help

A little off topic, but...

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 0239#50239

Note that the recommendation to "start out with that Fuji/TY 100-pack" at the end of the post was a general one directed at pkd7423's initial question and based on the hot deals available that week. For best T@2 performance, stick with the AZO discs as described.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:23 pm

Halc,

Those are some good poings. I'm sure Mark will have an answer for you.

I've also suggested that Yamaha should license some of their technologies like Audio Master and DiscT@2. I'd hate to see these technologies go to waste.

Ian
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:41 pm

Ian now that is a good idea, like Lite-On picking up tattoing

haha, i know that comment is going to cause hysteria
Fractal Design Define R5 White Window Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X99A XPower AC USB 3.1 Motherboard
Intel i7-5930K CPU @ 4.8GHz
Corsair H100i GTX 240mm CPU Cooler
Mushkin Blackline 4x8GB DDR4 2400 Memory
Asus 980Ti Strix OC
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Halc on Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:47 am

Hoxlund,

on the contraty. It'd be great, but I'm not sure that LiteOn is even interested.

I'm sure Plextor could squeeze it into their profit margins though.

regards,
Halc
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:04 am

jus as long as someone picks it up, that was a breakthrough technology
Fractal Design Define R5 White Window Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X99A XPower AC USB 3.1 Motherboard
Intel i7-5930K CPU @ 4.8GHz
Corsair H100i GTX 240mm CPU Cooler
Mushkin Blackline 4x8GB DDR4 2400 Memory
Asus 980Ti Strix OC
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Yamaha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:42 pm

Hi Halc,

Thanks for your comments. Yamaha has always done our best to work with developers to add support for Yamaha CD-R/RW products, as well as any special features they may employ. With the 3200 and CRW-70 series, this included the Audio Master technology. With the CRW-F1, we worked/are working with developers to add DiscT@2, as well as Advanced Audio Master. (As a side note, Microsoft and several other developers use the CRW-3200 as their Mt. Rainier test bed, as it was the first drive to deliver this technology.)

So, to answer your question, yes, Yamaha will continue to provide command set information to CD-R software developers.

Best regards,
Mark Becknauld
Product Manager
Multimedia Products Division
Yamaha Electronics Corp.
Yamaha
Buffer Underrun

Postby Boy_Wonder on Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:22 am

What the He** is this. I just bougt a F1 and now their telling me this!! So much for future support..lousy company (grumble). I'll never buy a yamaha writer again! :x
Boy_Wonder
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:27 am

Boy_Wonder wrote:I'll never buy a yamaha writer again! :x

:-? I think they beat you to the punch on this one... :wink: Was the joke intentional?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Yamaha

Postby NeilPeart on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:30 am

Boy_Wonder,
You are either joking or a complete retard. This whole post has been dedicated to Yamaha's withdrawal from the CDRW market, but they specifically stated their continued support for current writers. Obviously you will never buy another Yamaha again since they have left that market (that is why I suspected the post was made in jest). I am also the happy owner of an F1 (as well as a Teac 540E, Plextor 12/10/32S, among others), and it ranks up amongst the others as a quality burner. Yamaha will support their loyal customer base as they have done in the past. Thanks again Yamaha. Goodbye. 8)
Drives I Own:

Asus S520/A, Plextor UltraPlex 40TSi, Lite-on XJ-HD166S, Pioneer DVD-106S, Toshiba SD-M1712, Plextor PX-R820Ti, Plextor PX-W1210TS, Plextor Premium, Samsung SM-352B, Teac CD-W540E, Yamaha CRW-F1, Plextor PX-708A, Sony DRU-510A
NeilPeart
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:52 am

To be fair, whenever a situation such as this occurs, there will be unhappy customers who are taken by surprise and who may have made different buying decisions had they known the true facts earlier. Boy_Wonder may be one such person. But Yamaha has indicated that they will continue to support their products for their remaining lifetime, and if Boy_Wonder is truly that unhappy and just did buy his new drive, he may be able to return it to his retailer.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:13 am

Tall Texan wrote:Thats good to know. A question for all of you who have an F1 what is the best media to use for the tattooing. Thanks in advance for any help

I find that blue CD's work the best. Which is fine with me, because Verbatim Datalifes with the blue emulsion have proven to be the most reliable blank CD's for me as well.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:22 am

Boy_Wonder wrote:What the He** is this. I just bougt a F1 and now their telling me this!! So much for future support..lousy company (grumble). I'll never buy a yamaha writer again! :x

I'd repeat my CRW-F1 purchase even if I'd known at the time it that Yamaha was leaving, and I'd still recommend this drive to every one of my friends. I won't choose another manufacturer of CD-RW drives than Yamaha, so I guess the next drive will be a Sony MultiRead/Write DVD writer down the road.

Yamaha has pledged continued support and has always supported their drives well. Your knee-jerk reaction does not become you.
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Postby Tall Texan on Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:47 pm

LoneWolf wrote:I'd repeat my CRW-F1 purchase even if I'd known at the time it that Yamaha was leaving, and I'd still recommend this drive to every one of my friends.

I would agree to the point im tryin to find as many F1s as i can afford and put them in the other 4 systems in the house. I love the one we have already and its a rock solid drive. the only thing i dont like is the black one is $20 more lol lol but no big deal.
AMD XP - 1900
1 gig DDR
80 gig WD 7200 x 2
ATI Radon 7200 64meg.
Samsung 16x DVD black
Samsung 40x12x40 CD-RW black
Samsung 48x16x48 CD-RW (new)
zip 100 black (new)
SB Live
Creativ 5.1 Speakers
Tall Texan
Buffer Underrun

Postby socheat on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:47 pm

Yamaha wrote:So, to answer your question, yes, Yamaha will continue to provide command set information to CD-R software developers.

Any chance that includes open source software developers? It'd be great to have DiscT@2 capabilities in Linux... :wink: As long as we have this info, I don't think it would be too difficult to patch cdrecord...

Socheat
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby Reg-da-Ripper on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:16 pm

Someone has already mentioned using the Verbatim DataLifePlus 16X (yes, they must be 16X; higher speeds use the Super Azo dye and not the metal azo dye).

If you having difficulty finding those (I believe that Verbatim has stopped making the 16X DataLifePlus CD-Rs), try Verbatim's Digital Vinyl CD-Rs (they use the same metal azo dye as the DLP 16X).

Note: Using either Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-Rs with the Super Azo dye or any Taiyo Yuden-manufactured blank CD-R will work with disc T@2 (it just won't show up as well).
My solution to the Plextor vs. Lite-On debate: Buy 'em both! :)
Reg-da-Ripper
CD-RW Player

Postby Reg-da-Ripper on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:31 pm

I'd like to say that while some may regard the disc T@2 feature as a gimmick on the CRW-F1, I used it as a selling point to some of my co-workers (all "techies"). No, I don't work for Yamaha (or any other optical drive company for that matter) :):D

Three of them recently purchased a CRW-F1 because of disc T@2. :)

I can understand -- from a business point-of-view -- why Yamaha is leaving the optical drive market, but I'm still saddened (figuratively speaking) by their impending retreat from the market. :(

I'm now looking to purchase additional CRW-F1s for backups in case the one I currently have fails (which I think will be years from now).
My solution to the Plextor vs. Lite-On debate: Buy 'em both! :)
Reg-da-Ripper
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives