Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Official CD Doctor (WSES alternative) Thread

Burn baby burn!

Postby dhc014 on Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:53 am

Just a FYI, I heard that the next version of Nero CDSpeed will have C1/C2 error checking :D We'll have so many choices!

I love my mediatek chipset!
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby hrbngr on Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:42 am

just a question, the readme for cd doctor mentions some sanyo drives...does that mean it will work with sanyco chipset cd-rw's--like my Teac 540e?

i tried it today, and could not get cd doctor to work...but it did work well for my LiteON 52x...
hrbngr
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:05 am

I haven't heard any reports of it working with any Teac drives, so the behavior you saw would appear to be normal. If anyone does get CD Doctor to work with any drives not listed as compatible in the readme file, please post here and let us know.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby HazMat on Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:23 pm

Is there any utility that can measure C1 errors on an ASUS CRW-4816A? Thanks.
HazMat
Buffer Underrun

Postby Joker on Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:28 pm

The program says beta for a reason. It read the disc manufacturer (Lite-On 52x24x52), but the test for errors never started, and the program stoped responding. I couldn't even end the application or process. Not even when ATTEMPTING a reboot. The system refused to shut down, and I had to power it off while running (XP Pro). This program hit the bit bucket fast.

Joker
Joker
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:52 pm

What version of ASPI are you using?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Joker on Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:19 pm

I copied the ASPI from Nero into the program directory.

Joker
Joker
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:29 pm

That won't work. CD Doctor is known to not work with Nero's ASPI layer. It behaves as you described - the drives and media are detected, but the test won't run (although it didn't lock up the whole system for me like it did for you). Get a copy of ForceASPI, and use it to install version 4.6 of Adaptec's ASPI layer. That should do the trick.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

CD Doctor on External USB2 TDK 40/12/48x?

Postby babar on Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:47 pm

I have an external USB2 TDK 40/12/48x which uses a Sanyo chipset. I wonder if there is a way to get CD Doctor to work with it? I tried a couple of days ago but CD Doctor did not "see" the drive. I have the latest Adaptec ASPI layer installed--4.7.2 I believe--and before that had 4.60 installed.

Ideas?

d.b.
babar
Buffer Underrun

Re: PROBLEM

Postby Harrier on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:07 pm

cfitz wrote:
Harrier wrote:When trying to run cd doctor this next error comes up:

"Can't get disc maker data. missing manufacture.txt file or ASPI layer"

anyone?

Do you have ASPI installed? What version? Did you extract all three files from the zip file, including manufacture.txt, into your installation directory? The manufacture.txt and imgctl.dll files must be in the same directory as the doctor.exe file.

cfitz

Yeah, i put them all in the same dir'.
I'm using Win XP and an LG dvd.

How do i know if i have ASPI installed?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:28 pm

Harrier wrote:Yeah, i put them all in the same dir'.
I'm using Win XP and an LG dvd.

How do i know if i have ASPI installed?

you can check with Nero InfoTool, ASPI tab.

i don't think CD Doctor works with LG drives.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:32 pm

Harrier wrote:How do i know if i have ASPI installed?

Run Nero InfoTool and select the "System ASPI" choice in the drop-down box on "ASPI" tab. It will show you what you have installed. Alternatively, go to Adaptec's web site, download their ASPI installer (but don't actually install ASPI), extract the files, and run the utility they include named aspichk.exe.

To actually install the system-level ASPI, I recommend that you find ForceASPI on the web and use it.

And dodecahedron is right about CD Doctor not working with LG drives. Check the compatibility list earlier in this thread.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Abacus on Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:13 am

see this link to download another tool for scanning C1/C2

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10234
Abacus
Buffer Underrun

Postby Harrier on Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:49 am

cfitz wrote:
Harrier wrote:How do i know if i have ASPI installed?

Run Nero InfoTool and select the "System ASPI" choice in the drop-down box on "ASPI" tab. It will show you what you have installed. Alternatively, go to Adaptec's web site, download their ASPI installer (but don't actually install ASPI), extract the files, and run the utility they include named aspichk.exe.

To actually install the system-level ASPI, I recommend that you find ForceASPI on the web and use it.

And dodecahedron is right about CD Doctor not working with LG drives. Check the compatibility list earlier in this thread.

cfitz

Ok.
So now that i bought the LTR52246S i want to scan for c1&cs2 errors.
I opened NeroInfoTool. It says "ASPI is not installed". I set up Nero's ASPI layer and hit the save buttton. Next jumped a new window with some info. Pressed "Save". I shell illustrate with some captured frames.

0.73ms later:

Later on:

And then..

Final Kodak moment:
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby Harrier on Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:51 am

Oh, and..
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:31 am

Harrier, your problem is that you don't have a system-level ASPI layer installed, just as your screen shots show:

Nero's ASPI is not the same as the system-level ASPI, and is not sufficient for running CD Doctor. As I mentioned earlier, you need to find a copy of ForceASPI and use it to install Adaptec ASPI 4.60.

You can find ForceASPI with google. You can also find it here:

http://home.pchome.com.tw/cool/cdtools/

More importantly, perhaps, you can find KProbe at the above link. It does everything CD Doctor does, and then some. Many people have switched from CD Doctor to KProbe because of its additional features and because the author of KProbe, Karr Wang, has joined us on these forums and is kindly incorporating our suggestions to improve his software:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10234

The full installation link on the KProbe page will download a normal Windows installer program that installs Adaptec ASPI 4.60 using ForceASPI as well as the KProbe executable. It uses a wizard to guide you through the installation process the same way that most commercial software is installed, so you shouldn't have any trouble installing it. Just click, click and click.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Harrier on Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:42 am

Thanks for the particularized reply.
One more thing though: If i install ForceASPI, will i be able to UnInstall it totally later on?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:05 pm

Yes. It isn't hard to uninstall.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:41 pm

you can download ForceASPI 1.7 from the Kprobe site cfitz linked, or from:
http://www.cyrus.troy.btinternet.co.uk/downloads.htm
unzip the zip file.
read the index.htm file, there are clear instructions there.
for installing the ASPI layer you run the INSTASPI.BAT file (double-click it).
i ran the DUMPASPI.BAT but there was no need, since i didn't have ASPI before, so it made an "empty" backup.
you can easily uninstall the ASPI with the KILLASPI.BAT file, or recover a saved ASPI (saved with DUMPASPI.BAT) with RESTASPI.BAT.

so you see it's really easy! :D

titkhadesh on your new Lite-On! :P
and enjoy scanning discs with CD Doctor and Kprobe!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Version 1.2.0 beta 1 released

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:46 pm

Miyuri has released a new version of CD Doctor that contains a bunch of nice new features. Among them are:

- More test speeds (4x, 8x, 12x, 16x and MAX)
- Choice of C1/C2 test or C2/CU test
- Real-time display of test results via a small scrolling chart
- Real-time display of test results via numeric counters
- Real-time display of test results via red/yellow/green bar-graph
- Display of disc's tracks, their type and length
- Ability to select only specific tracks for testing
- Ability to select portions of tracks for testing by specifying LBAs
- Choice of linear or semi-logarithmic chart
- User selectable chart limits
- Prompt to continue or abort when unreadable sector encountered
- Automatic Japanese/English detection and support
- Copying of disc identification information to clipboard
- Grading of disc quality (not fully implemented)
- other??

This is very much a work in progress, and there are bugs and incomplete portions. Also, although most of the menus have been translated into English, not all of them have. Miyuri wants you to know that this is a beta version, more work needs to be done, and it has not been thoroughly tested. Please don't expect perfection at this point.

I have run a few quick tests on a Windows 2000 box, and it worked nicely. However, I could not get it to run on my Windows 98 box. I think this may have something to do with the language setttings.

If you would like to try this beta version, you can download it from Miyuri's web page here:

http://www2.tcnet.ne.jp/miyuri/files/index.html

Click on the link labeled "doctor_120b1.zip ".

As before, the actual program file is password protected within an embedded zip file in the main zip file. The readme.txt file contains the password. However, it has not yet been translated into English, so I will give you the password subject to the following conditions:

CD Doctor's copyright is held by the author Miyuri. The author accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by use of this program. Please contact the author regarding this package prior to publication in books, magazines and the like.

If you understand and agree to these terms, agree that the above terms are superceded by the actual Japanese test included within the readme.txt file, and are willing to try an incomplete and not thoroughly tested beta version, then you may extract and use the program by entering the password "DrawPrimitive" (without the quotation marks).

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:30 pm

I wonder if the real-time displays affect accurace they way they do with KProbe. Looks like the author has been using Kprobe :wink:
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:43 pm

I had the same question, but haven't answered it yet since I haven't had time to play with it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MediumRare on Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:58 pm

Wow! another new toy. Thanks Miyuri !! :D :D

I scanned my "crappy bleached audio disk", just for fun. Here some observations:
- the read speeds have 2 labels (nx and RPM). The "nx" (CLV) seems to be valid.
- the read speed slows to 8x when the error count gets too high instead of skipping as in 1.0.4 (I didn't encounter unreadable sections, apparently)
- the track list is shown in the option window and the current track is highlighted
- the real-time display saturates at Cn > 100
- the GraphViewer window is no longer modal and more than one window can be opened -> comparisons between scans are possible without saving the images
- logarithmic scaling is only possible for complete decades, min. y is 1 (as before), so 1-counts are not visible on a semilogarithmic scale
- the C2 counts are independent of the scanning mode (C1/C2 or C2/CU). Maybe a C1/C2/CU option is possible ?
- the GraphViewer can read saved CSV files!
- the new 1.2.0 version can coexist with the 1.0.4 version.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby cfitz on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:03 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the graphs no longer insist on being always on top, and you can display more than one at a time. I knew you would like that feature, MediumRare.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rdgrimes on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:10 pm

Is anyone going to translate this?
And say, did anyone else notice this referance in the read-me text: LITE-ON LTR-52486S. There's some fuel for rumors!
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives