Home News Reviews Forums Shop


Are TYG02 FAKES?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby flashware on Wed May 04, 2005 12:58 am

Hrm.. that seems to be the only serial I can find on the disk :(

Its on the clear part of the disc - its a printable one, i.e. you can print onto the disc with those inkjet printers I think

Cheers!
flashware
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby Kitto on Wed May 04, 2005 2:23 am

flashware wrote:Hrm.. that seems to be the only serial I can find on the disk :(

Its on the clear part of the disc - its a printable one, i.e. you can print onto the disc with those inkjet printers I think

Cheers!


Well... where do you buy it...?
Kitto
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:04 pm

Postby flashware on Wed May 04, 2005 2:31 am

Softline Distribution - Perth, Australia
:P
flashware
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby Kitto on Wed May 04, 2005 3:09 pm

flashware wrote:Softline Distribution - Perth, Australia
:P

Didn't know any shops in Australia... but is the discs sold as TY?
Kitto
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:04 pm

Postby flashware on Wed May 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Yep, thats right
flashware
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby Kitto on Thu May 05, 2005 2:42 pm

flashware wrote:Yep, thats right

Really doubt the reputation of the company... :-?
Kitto
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:04 pm

Postby flashware on Thu May 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Yeh, its all good now - I emailed the guy, and they've now been updated to "TY Code" on the pricelist

Cheers for the help guys :)
flashware
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 5:42 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby pl_rage on Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:52 pm

Hi!
I just got some 8X DVD-R that were sold as Taiyo Yuden that don't seem to burn well so I'm wondering if they may be fakes. DVDinfopro ID's them as TYG02 but I guess that doesn't mean much these days. 8-A1070812 is the serial# of one of the discs (some discs don't even have a number!!!)...

Any help regarding their true ID would be appreciated
pl_rage
Buffer Underrun
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby RJW on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:15 am

That's not TY media and Not Optodisc and also Not MAM-E at least based on what I read and have seen with my own eyes.

Also I'm working on the thingie when it comes to additional information in DVD identifier however progress is ultra slow thanks to university.

Some of you might think it's only TY however it's more as TY and DVD-identifier will probally have more info as just TY.
Yes In europe we also have the followeing.
Fake Ritek
Fake MCC
Disc's that are sold by made by 3A and are not made by 3A media and more of that stuff.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby Scour on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:51 pm

Did Optodisc also fake TY-media?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=942

Or did Acrocircle buy the media from different manufacturer?
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby [buck] on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:38 pm

Scour wrote:Did Optodisc also fake TY-media?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=942

Or did Acrocircle buy the media from different manufacturer?


Hey Scour!

That's my post! And yes, they did fake TYG02. Sweet results, eh?
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby Scour on Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Rencor wrote:Hey Scour!

That's my post! And yes, they did fake TYG02. Sweet results, eh?


Much better than some -R 8x with Optodisc-Code.

But I´m interested to see a scan of a full burned media :)
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby [buck] on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:18 pm

Scour wrote:
Rencor wrote:Hey Scour!

That's my post! And yes, they did fake TYG02. Sweet results, eh?


Much better than some -R 8x with Optodisc-Code.

But I´m interested to see a scan of a full burned media :)


Here's an almost full disc for you, Scour. If it weren't for that PIF hump this would have been a 98QS, >100 PIF burn. Very nice jitter, too. My 1620 didn't burn these THIS well!

Burned with BenQ 1640 BSLB @ 4X (8X selected in imgburn)
WOPC On, SB Off, OPTODISCR008 strategy

BTW, I can say with confidence that PIF hump was caused by a spec of dirt, because when I was dusting this disc off, there was this one spec I couldn't get off. =D>
Attachments
forscour.png
forscour.png (66.69 KiB) Viewed 389 times
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:02 am

It things like that, that make me laugh when people call Optodisc crap :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby RJW on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:22 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:It things like that, that make me laugh when people call Optodisc crap :wink:


Yeah but one good batch doesn't make it excellent media.
And you know as much as I and as Optodisc America know that finding good Optodisc media in Europe is not easy.
RJW
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: The netherlands

Postby Scour on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:37 am

Rencor wrote:
Here's an almost full disc for you, Scour. If it weren't for that PIF hump this would have been a 98QS, >100 PIF burn. Very nice jitter, too. My 1620 didn't burn these THIS well!

Burned with BenQ 1640 BSLB @ 4X (8X selected in imgburn)
WOPC On, SB Off, OPTODISCR008 strategy


Yes, very nice. But not all media/batches from Optodisc have this quality
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby hoxlund on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:32 am

when i see a smudge on a blank dvd, i use compressed air to move it off
Fractal Design Define R5 White Window Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X99A XPower AC USB 3.1 Motherboard
Intel i7-5930K CPU @ 4.8GHz
Corsair H100i GTX 240mm CPU Cooler
Mushkin Blackline 4x8GB DDR4 2400 Memory
Asus 980Ti Strix OC
User avatar
hoxlund
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 12:55 am
Location: RAF Lakenheath / Suffolk United Kingdom

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:43 pm

RJW wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:It things like that, that make me laugh when people call Optodisc crap :wink:


Yeah but one good batch doesn't make it excellent media.
And you know as much as I and as Optodisc America know that finding good Optodisc media in Europe is not easy.


True... it makes me very frustrated that that is the case. But that sort of quality is very common for the Acro Circle media becoming more popular here in Vancouver where I live :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby Scour on Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:25 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:True... it makes me very frustrated that that is the case. But that sort of quality is very common for the Acro Circle media becoming more popular here in Vancouver where I live :D


From what I saw is the 16x Optodisc not good at all? The 8x +R looks much better
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby [buck] on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
RJW wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:It things like that, that make me laugh when people call Optodisc crap :wink:


Yeah but one good batch doesn't make it excellent media.
And you know as much as I and as Optodisc America know that finding good Optodisc media in Europe is not easy.


True... it makes me very frustrated that that is the case. But that sort of quality is very common for the Acro Circle media becoming more popular here in Vancouver where I live :D


Honestly though, Acro Circle just isn't cheap enough for me to buy it again. These ones are about a year old, and value line TY is even a bit cheaper.

Which do you think i'd choose?
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Rencor wrote:Honestly though, Acro Circle just isn't cheap enough for me to buy it again. These ones are about a year old, and value line TY is even a bit cheaper.

Which do you think i'd choose?


Of course you'd choose TY Value Line... you'd be crazy not to!!

But that won't be an option very soon :wink: Many places are completely out of stock with no chance of getting more. And the places that DO have stock will be lucky if it lasts them until December, yet alone boxing day.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Scour wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:True... it makes me very frustrated that that is the case. But that sort of quality is very common for the Acro Circle media becoming more popular here in Vancouver where I live :D


From what I saw is the 16x Optodisc not good at all? The 8x +R looks much better


It needs a little work still... but it's getting better. I would say the quality issues between Acro Circle 8x and 16x media are not much different then the quality issues between 8x and 16x Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs though.... It's a little scary how some drives can't burn them properly :o

But both TY and Acro Circle are much better off now then they were 2 months ago :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

Postby [buck] on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:55 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Rencor wrote:Honestly though, Acro Circle just isn't cheap enough for me to buy it again. These ones are about a year old, and value line TY is even a bit cheaper.

Which do you think i'd choose?


Of course you'd choose TY Value Line... you'd be crazy not to!!

But that won't be an option very soon :wink: Many places are completely out of stock with no chance of getting more. And the places that DO have stock will be lucky if it lasts them until December, yet alone boxing day.


Premium line TY is only 20% more, too. Plus, I have boatloads of Fuji TY bought at $0.40 or less.

Optodisc is seriously out to lunch with their pricing.. either that or NCIX is taking a BIG cut.
User avatar
[buck]
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA

Postby Scour on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:27 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
It needs a little work still... but it's getting better. I would say the quality issues between Acro Circle 8x and 16x media are not much different then the quality issues between 8x and 16x Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs though.... It's a little scary how some drives can't burn them properly :o



Overall I´m not impressed with quality @16x, I hope the drive manufacturers and the DVD-manufacturers works on it.
Benq DW 1640, LG GH-20N, Pioneer BDR-208
Crucial M4, Sandisk SSD, Plextor M5S, Sandisk Ultra Plus, OCZ Petrol 256GB

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Germany

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 pm

Rencor wrote:Premium line TY is only 20% more, too. Plus, I have boatloads of Fuji TY bought at $0.40 or less.

Optodisc is seriously out to lunch with their pricing.. either that or NCIX is taking a BIG cut.


Not really...

Fuji/Maxell/Sony are nuts, selling product to Futureshop/Bestbuy at $0.25ea (CAD), when their own costs aren't much better then that. So you get some deals like the FUJI's for $0.40ea. It's all just media dumping, so it skews perspectives on pricing. But Optodisc's A Grade media prices are cheaper then Prodisc's A Grade media prices, as well as Ritek (although Ritek is confusing when you start talking about media grades and pricing) and others.

So basically, what you're saying is that Optodisc's media is too high priced, because no one down the supply chain is selling it below cost. Well, tough :roll:

It's very frustrating when big box stores set a precidence for selling media below cost. It destroys legitimate competition, and messes up the whole media market.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
User avatar
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player
 
Posts: 6923
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:14 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
All Content is Copyright (c) 2001-2017 CDRLabs Inc.