Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG Burners got burnt

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

LG Burners got burnt

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:21 pm

Looks like LG's plant in China has been severly damaged by fire, and production of LG's CD-ROM and CD-RW drives will be GREATLY affected. Combo drives, and DVD-ROM drive will also be affected, but DVD-RW drives might be ok.

Here's Digitime's article on it:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20041007A1001.html
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby I_Dzhugashvili on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:44 am

I am new here and hope that no one will mind my asking this question but what is the difference between a DVD burner and a DVD recorder? Is the recorder the "pro/manufacturing" item that burns pits in the media as opposed to burners using dye?
I_Dzhugashvili
Buffer Underrun

Postby Bhairav on Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:55 am

Mr Stalin, they are the same. Burner and Recorder are used interchangeably.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:06 am

Mr. Stalin ?
i thought Stalin's first name was Joseph. J not I.
well...what's the Russian, or Georgian equivalent of the name Joseph?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby I_Dzhugashvili on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:25 am

I do not speak Georgian so I can nothing about that, but in Russian there is no letter "J" and so the name "Josef" is a anglicized version of "Iosef", and "Iosef" is pronounced "Yosef". This "Y" sound is represented by the Russian/Cyrillic letter that looks like a backwards "N" with an accent mark over it.
Look here please:
http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfrie ... habet.html

The "Y" sound is represented by the eleventh letter. Note the little accent mark over it.
The English/American sound of "J" as in "Joseph" would be represented by a combination of two Russian/Cyrillic letter, the "D" and the "Zhe", being the fifth and eighth letters in the chart respectively.
The combination of "P" and "H" to represent the sound "F" is not used in Russian, the "F" is used as such.

To complicate matters, the Latin letter "I" is used to represent two different sounds, both the "Y" sound under discussion and also the long "E" sound as in "see". And of course, there are two versions of most Russian vowels, one of each pair have a "built-in" "Y" sound at the beginning and the other member of the pair without it. But that "Y" sound is also available separately, thanks to the letter that also begins the name "Iosef".
As far as I can determine, such orthographical problems are pretty nearly inescapable when the alphabet of one language is used to represent sounds of a different language.

Be diligent in your studies, as there will be quiz later.

:D
I_Dzhugashvili
Buffer Underrun

Postby I_Dzhugashvili on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:51 am

Let me please explain the reason for my original question.
In the story about this fire, here http://www.cdrlabs.com/news/ , I read the following paragraph:
"The HLDS Huizhou factory produces CD-ROM drives, CD-RW burners, DVD-ROM drives and Combo drives for use in desktop and notebook PCs, as well as DVD recorders. The factory was supposed to gradually begin producing DVD burners, which are currently produced at HLDS’ Malaysia factory, the makers explained."
What puzzled me was the statement that the factory was producing DVD recorders, and was going to begin to produce DVD burners. It seems, according to this, that burners and recorders are different things entirely. So I thought that there might be a terminological nicety which had escaped my notice. I am not quite sure of what the writer intended. The reason that I am interested is that I must soon buy a DVD burner and expect that LG drives will have the best performance when it comes to recording with a minimum of errors, and this fire might impact the availability of their drives, and possibly cause the price of their drives and the drives of their competitors to increase, if the impact on supply is great enough.
I_Dzhugashvili
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:52 am

I_Dzhugashvili wrote:Be diligent in your studies, as there will be quiz later.

:D :D :D
better study hard, if Stalin says to do so it might be dangerous not to :lol:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:55 am

as bhairavp said, DVD burner and DVD recorder are synonyms.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:47 pm

dodecahedron wrote:as bhairavp said, DVD burner and DVD recorder are synonyms.

Nope, this is technically incorrect, although the words are mis-used often.

DVD Writers/Burners are PC drives, whereas DVD Recorders are stand alone units for home entertainment systems and the like. :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MadBurner on Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:27 pm

As a proud Panasonic DMR-E85H (DVD Recorder) owner, they are indeed different :P

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:11 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:as bhairavp said, DVD burner and DVD recorder are synonyms.

Nope, this is technically incorrect, although the words are mis-used often.

DVD Writers/Burners are PC drives, whereas DVD Recorders are stand alone units for home entertainment systems and the like. :wink:

i'm not sure i agree.
a 'burner' is a slang word. writer/recorder is the more 'technical' term which i'm sure is used for PC drives too.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby VEFF on Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:57 am

In the US at least, DVD recorder, as the others mentioned, the term DVD recorder is specifically used for stand-alone units, whereas the term DVD burner is specifically used to refer to PC drives.
I have never heard or seen the terms used interchangeably in the US, except, possibly, by a few people new to, and relatively unfamiliar with, DVD recording and burning technology.

It does get more interesting, though, since some use the term 'DVD Recordable' (or 'Rewriteable') to refer to PC drives...

It might be different * in other parts of the world dodeca, but I must agree with the others in this case.

* The example of using 'lift' in the UK and 'elevator' in the US comes to mind.

'Writer' is used for burners over here, not for recorders.

The exact same uses of these terms apply to CD technology in the US.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby Funkstar on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:34 pm

I also agree with the destinction between burners/writers and recorders. Also I think of a DVD Recorder like a new and much improved Video (or indeed VHS) Recorder :)

Burning may be slang, but that is pretty much exactly what the drive is doing, burning marks on the recording surface.
What i really hate is when someone at works asks me to "cut a cd of this presentation i made" etc. Argh! the drive doesn't cut, burns you fool!

(vent over :) )
Funkstar
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:20 am

From Digi-Times:

LG Taiwan: ODD production lines at HLDS China factory not damaged by fire

LG Electronics Taiwan Taipei (LGETT), the Taiwan marketing subsidiary for the LG Group, on October 7 asserted on behalf of Hitachi-LG Data Storage (HLDS) that the recent fire at the HLDS China factory did not cause as much damage as was reported.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers