Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Media Compatibility With CD-RW Drives - Which Media Is Best?

General discussion about recordable CD, DVD and BD media and write quality testing.

my results on 52246S

Postby Alejandra on Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:25 pm

LiteOn 52246S
FW 6S02
703MB of data

Code: Select all
Benq/Acer 32x................... 52x 2:26 (perfect burns, scandisk shows 0 damaged sectors)
TDK/CMC 32x .................... 52x 2:34
Imation/CMC 24x 32x 40x ........ 52x 2:37
Samsung/Ritek 16x .............. 52x 2:45 (speed drops at 97%)
Samsung colors/Prodisc 24x ..... 40x 3:02
LG/Prodisc 16x ................. 40x 3:02
Verbatim/Mitsubishi 24x 32x .... 32x 3:15
Verbatim/Mitsubishi 16x ........ 32x 3:16
TDK Silver/Ritek 32x ........... 24x 3:51

I'm very pleased with Benq media and very surprised with CMC media, next week I'll test some 48x Verbatim media.
:D
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:40 pm

Many thanks, Alejandra. I'm surprised by the CMC discs too; I've always had good luck with CMC, but from my experiences, they usually don't overburn past their rated speed very well. I'm glad they perform well in the LTR-52246S. :) On the other end of the spectrum, those TDK Silver discs by Ritek can't be too good if you had to knock the speed down to 24X.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Alejandra on Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:58 pm

Well the 48x media from Verbatim/Mitsubishi Chemicals is very good with this drive, as with Benq Media time and quality are the same, 2:26.

Code: Select all
Verbatim/Mitsubishi 48x ........ 52x 2:26 (without speed slowdowns)

here are some pics:

Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby lppnet on Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:10 am

Did anyone have experience with TDK GOLD CDR? What is the maximum speed that it can burn at? The label didn't stated the maximum speed but only stated mulitspeed. Think of getting a spindle of 50. Thanks in advance for the information.
lppnet
CD-RW Thug

Postby Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:33 pm

@Wizard, your database says: Verbatim Super Azo/MC 80min 48X.........32X on 48125W, but in my tests it burns at 48X.

Also it defers from 32x and 24x media on the dye type, NeroCDSpeed shows dye type 3 for 48x media, dye type 2 for 32x and 24x media and dye type 1 for 16x media.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:52 pm

Alejandra wrote:@Wizard, your database says: Verbatim Super Azo/MC 80min 48X.........32X on 48125W, but in my tests it burns at 48X.

Results may vary from drive to drive, even though they are the same model. I am surprised your drive did so well with Verbatim media, though, because most other LiteOn owners have reported that the newer LiteOn drives don’t play very well with Verbatim media. Did you verify that your 32x super AZO disc burned with no errors? I am a little concerned, because in your original post you noted that the Benq/Acer 32x burned perfectly with 0 damaged sectors. Does the absence of such a statement for the other media imply that they did have errors? Only error-free burning speeds should be reported in this thread.

Alejandra wrote:Also it defers from 32x and 24x media on the dye type, NeroCDSpeed shows dye type 3 for 48x media, dye type 2 for 32x and 24x media and dye type 1 for 16x media.

Verbatim did change dye type from metal AZO to super AZO in moving to the higher speeds because the metal AZO wouldn't support high burning speeds. The 16x media should be a much darker (and prettier, IMO) shade of blue than the 24x and 32x media.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:00 pm

cfitz wrote:Results may vary from drive to drive, even though they are the same model. I am surprised your drive did so well with Verbatim media, though, because most other LiteOn owners have reported that the newer LiteOn drives don’t play very well with Verbatim media. Did you verify that your 32x super AZO disc burned with no errors? I am a little concerned, because in your original post you noted that the Benq/Acer 32x burned perfectly with 0 damaged sectors. Does the absence of such a statement for the other media imply that they did have errors? Only error-free burning speeds should be reported in this thread.

Well, in the past I tested the Verbatim 16x, 24x and 32x media with the 24, 40 and 48 LiteOn drives, when i used Scandisc or CD Quality test they showed some errors on the drives they burned, I re-run the tests with those burned discs now on the new 52x and shows no errors. So This new 52x drive is also a better reader.

One of the things I can not understand very well yet is that the same drive can do perfect burns with certain firmware and have errors with other firmware, example: 40125S with SZ0A has perfect burns with Sony media even with SmartBurn Off, but the same drive with ZS0D, ZS0G, ZS0J, ZS0K and ZS0N sony media are useless even at lower than rated speed but with Verbatim media this drive has no diference with those firmwares, they burn well at their rated speed.

I didn't buy Verbatim media because they burn at lower speeds than the max speed of my last drive (48x) but I read some reviews of the Sony 48x and 52x drives, when I saw that perform well with the 48x Verbatims I buy it inmediatly also because they arrive surprisely last weekend.

The Benq shows no errors with Nero CD Speed tests on the drive itself, the CMC media and Verbatim 48x sometimes has few damaged sectors, and almost no errors with Quality test, but when read on other drives don't, when Nero compares they never show a error.

cfitz wrote:Verbatim did change dye type from metal AZO to super AZO in moving to the higher speeds because the metal AZO wouldn't support high burning speeds. The 16x media should be a much darker (and prettier, IMO) shade of blue than the 24x and 32x media.

cfitz

I know that, remember my post?
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=28831#28831

Well the 16x can be burned at 24x on the 40x and 48x drives, but can be burned @32x in the new 52x drive.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:30 pm

Alejandra wrote:Well, in the past I tested the Verbatim 16x, 24x and 32x media with the 24, 40 and 48 LiteOn drives, when i used Scandisc or CD Quality test they showed some errors on the drives they burned, I re-run the tests with those burned discs now on the new 52x and shows no errors. So This new 52x drive is also a better reader.

I've run into the same sort of behavior, and talked about it in this very thread ( starting here ). The reader's quality certainly does affect the overall test result.

Alejandra wrote:One of the things I can not understand very well yet is that the same drive can do perfect burns with certain firmware and have errors with other firmware... <snip>

Well, firmware updates in general (and LiteOn updates in particular) are often used to fine tune writing strategies for different media. But one would like to think that later firmwares would always do better than earlier firmwares in that regard. I don't know why you experienced the opposite.

Alejandra wrote:
cfitz wrote:Verbatim did change dye type from metal AZO to super AZO in moving to the higher speeds because the metal AZO wouldn't support high burning speeds. The 16x media should be a much darker (and prettier, IMO) shade of blue than the 24x and 32x media.

cfitz

I know that, remember my post?
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=28831#28831

What, me remember a post you made in 1969? Sorry, my brain's too stiff and rickety to remember that far back! :wink: :D Actually, I didn't remember that post. Although, I am now confused as to why you just mentioned, two posts back, that the dye types differed since you already knew that they differed. I must be missing something - you can probably hear the gears in my head grinding to a squeaky, rusting halt as I write this... :) Were you trying to emphasize that the switch from 24x/32x to 48x involved another change in dye type? That is something I didn't know.

By the way, I think, but am not certain, that TheWizard is taking the conservative route and posting the slower of two burn speeds when different people report conflicting data for the same drive/media combination. Wizard, can you confirm or deny?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:58 pm

cfitz wrote:Well, firmware updates in general (and LiteOn updates in particular) are often used to fine tune writing strategies for different media. But one would like to think that later firmwares would always do better than earlier firmwares in that regard. I don't know why you experienced the opposite.

Im not the only one, if you revisit some of the post of Burner1000000 (enough zeroes?) you can see when LiteOn comes with the P-CAV or CAV firmwares that Sony media has problems whit it. So whe I need to burn these media I switch to th Z-CLV Firmware.

cfitz wrote:What, me remember a post you made in 1969? Sorry, my brain's too stiff and rickety to remember that far back! :wink: :D Actually, I didn't remember that post. Although, I am now confused as to why you just mentioned, two posts back, that the dye types differed since you already knew that they differed..

I knew that but maybe others not, since not every one checks media with NeroCDSpeed, Smartburn only shows "Disc Type, Material" but NeroCDSpeed and CDRIdentifier shows Ddye types.

cfitz wrote: I must be missing something - you can probably hear the gears in my head grinding to a squeaky, rusting halt as I write this... :) Were you trying to emphasize that the switch from 24x/32x to 48x involved another change in dye type? That is something I didn't know.

Sure, what I try to emphasize is: even 24x, 32x, and 48x are Super AZO they are different dye types, 2 and 3. Even with old Verbatim media when they were Metal AZO there are two dye types. 0 and 1.

:D
Last edited by Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:05 pm

Alejandra wrote:Im not the only one, if you revisit some of the post of Burner1000000 (enough zeroes?) you can see when LiteOn comes with the P-CAV or CAV firmwares that Sony media has problems whit it. So whe I need to burn these media I switch to th Z-CLV Firmware.

The switch from Z-CLV to P-CAV could certainly explain it. By the way, Burner1000000 and his doggie haven't been around lately. I hope he is okay.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:10 pm

cfitz wrote:By the way, I think, but am not certain, that TheWizard is taking the conservative route and posting the slower of two burn speeds when different people report conflicting data for the same drive/media combination. Wizard, can you confirm or deny?

I can confirm. If there are conflicting results during ScanDisc then take the lower speed with absolutely no errors.

Alejandra: You said sometimes the CMC media had a few errors in Nero ScanDisc but the Disc Quality check was fine. Please remember, these results are based on zero errors. Not one, not two, but zero. So I ask, do you wish to resubmit your results?

As for the dye used in the Verbatim discs. Yes, the new 48X discs use Dye Type 3, although they are still labeled as Super AZO, hence I labeled them the same in the media compatability list. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:21 pm

TheWizard wrote:I can confirm. If there are conflicting results during ScanDisc then take the lower speed with absolutely no errors.

Alejandra: You said sometimes the CMC media had a few errors in Nero ScanDisc but the Disc Quality check was fine. Please remember, these results are based on zero errors. Not one, not two, but zero. So I ask, do you wish to resubmit your results?

Yes, but what tests can I trust? The tests I did reading on the burner itself or the ones that I did on other drives that shows no errors, also If I slowdown the speed of the burner with Nero DriveSpeed or WSES those media that showed few errors dissapear.

Anyway I'm doing more tests at lower speeds.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:29 pm

Take the ScanDisc results from the burner that you burned the CD's in. Remember, we're trying to rate the results of media in the burner, not in other drives. :wink:
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:38 pm

Wizard, is the following an accurate description of the test protocol that should be followed when testing discs to report in this thread and, if so, would it be helpful to include as an instructional guide?

1. Prepare a compilation to burn to the test disc. You should set up your burning software to burn a simple ISO-9660 data CD, in disc-at-once (DAO) mode with finalization selected. Include enough files in your compilation to completely fill the capacity of the disc being tested. Aim for filling the disc to within 1-2 MBytes of its full capacity. It is important to completely fill the disc, because discs are more susceptible to errors at the outer edges, and the outer edges are only written to when the disc is full.

2. Begin testing by selecting the maximum burning speed permitted by the drive for the disc being tested. This speed may be higher than the rated speed of the disc.

3. Burn the disc. Keep track of the actual burn time so that you can correctly ascertain the real burn speed used during the burn. Not all burning software will correctly display the actual speed being used, because some drives silently and automatically adjust their writing speeds according to whatever safe burning mechanism (e.g. Safe-BURN, Optimum Write Speed Control, etc.) they implement. A less preferred alternative is to disable the drive's safe burning mechanism and thus disable the automatic speed adjustment so that you know what you set is what you get. This is less preferred because, in addition to disabling automatic burn speed adjustment, it may disable other burn quality enhancing features of the drive such as power calibration.

4. Test the quality of the burned disc by performing a surface scan of the disc using the ScanDisc test in CD Speed ( www.cdspeed2000.com ). If the drive in which you burned the disc correctly reports C2 errors, test the quality in that same drive. If the drive in which your burned the disc does not correctly report C2 errors, then test the disc in a drive available to you that does report C2 errors and most closely resembles the capabilities of the burner you are testing. If you do not have any drive that reports C2 errors, then you can’t contribute your test results to this thread.

CD Speed will warn you with the following dialog box if the drive you are using to test the disc does not support C2 error reporting:

Also, allow the reader to automatically select its maximum read speed during the surface scan test. Do not artificially limit the reading speed through utilities such as Nero DriveSpeed.

5. If the disc is error-free, report the actual burn speed as described in step 8. Error-free means that ScanDisc reports no unreadable sectors and no damaged sectors. The sector map should be 100% green like this:

6. If the disc is not error-free, switch to the next lowest burn speed you can select.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 until you either burn an error-free disc or discover that you can't burn an error-free disc at any speed setting.

8. Report your results, including the make, model and firmware version of the drive, the type, brand, speed rating and capacity of the disc, the maximum error-free burn speed actually achieved, and the manufacturer of the disc as reported by CD Speed's CD-R Info function. Optionally report the disc’s ATIP code and the actual burning time. In the example shown below, the manufacturer is Taiyo Yuden, and the ATIP code is 97m24s01f:

When reporting the burn speed, just report the nominal speed. Some burning software such as Nero can be configured with some drives to report the actual instantaneous burn speed as the burn is in progress. While this is useful for verifying that the drive is burning at the speed selected (see step 3), we don't need that level of precision for the final report. For example, if you set the burn speed to 48x, but your burning software tells you that the maximum speed achieved was actually 48.95x, just report the speed as 48x.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Big discover

Postby Alejandra on Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:56 pm

TheWizard wrote:Take the ScanDisc results from the burner that you burned the CD's in. Remember, we're trying to rate the results of media in the burner, not in other drives. :wink:

I re-run the tests but what I discover is that the Firewire case is introducing some kind of "noise" in the tests.

I take the drive off the case and now is connected to an IDE port.

Benq and Verbatim 48x media stands without damaged sectors and 0 errors, even those discs burned with the firewire case are 100% good.

I ran out of Imation CMC media, no matter what speed I tryed they gave me errors, also ran out of TDK CMC media, but good news, they are error free.

I got some Samsung/CMC media at the office, I'll try those and post the results later.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:46 am

cfitz wrote:1. Prepare a compilation to burn to the test disc. You should set up your burning software to burn a simple ISO-9660 data CD, in disc-at-once (DAO) mode with finalization selected. Include enough files in your compilation to completely fill the capacity of the disc being tested. Aim for filling the disc to within 1-2 MBytes of its full capacity. It is important to completely fill the disc, because discs are more susceptible to errors at the outer edges, and the outer edges are only written to when the disc is full.

I don't find it necessary to burn a complete 700MB file. Sure it would be optimal, but I have found I get the same results with a smaller file, let's say 600MB, that I do with a 700MB file.

cfitz wrote:2. Begin testing by selecting the maximum burning speed permitted by the drive for the disc being tested. This speed may be higher than the rated speed of the disc.

I wouldn't recommend this because you may go through a lot of damaged discs in the meantime. Granted, CD-R discs are cheap nowadays, for some of us, but I still believe in the philosophy "waste not, want not." First, I try burning the disc at the rated speed; if it is successful I burn at the next highest speed. If it fails then I burn at the next lowest speed. Most discs can write at the rated speed, and it's easy to spot trends. For example, CMC discs aren't known for writing at much higher than the rated speed, therefore I'm not going to waste a bunch of discs starting at 52X then 48X then 40X and so on down the line when I know the rated speed of the discs is 24X. By starting at the rated speed and increasing, provided the burns are successful, you'll have error-free discs which you can save as opposed going from the top speed of the burner down which will probably produce discs that you'll want to throw away due to the errors created.

cfitz wrote:3. Burn the disc. Keep track of the actual burn time so that you can correctly ascertain the real burn speed used during the burn. Not all burning software will correctly display the actual speed being used, because some drives silently and automatically adjust their writing speeds according to whatever safe burning mechanism (e.g. Safe-BURN, Optimum Write Speed Control, etc.) they implement. A less preferred alternative is to disable the drive's safe burning mechanism and thus disable the automatic speed adjustment so that you know what you set is what you get. This is less preferred because, in addition to disabling automatic burn speed adjustment, it may disable other burn quality enhancing features of the drive such as power calibration.

I have had results with and without Smart-Burn on for Lite-On drives, plus results with and without PowerRec on for Plextor drives. Turning these off doesn't skew the results as long as they are documented.

cfitz wrote:4. Test the quality of the burned disc by performing a surface scan of the disc using the ScanDisc test in CD Speed ( www.cdspeed2000.com ). If the drive in which you burned the disc correctly reports C2 errors, test the quality in that same drive. If the drive in which your burned the disc does not correctly report C2 errors, then test the disc in a drive available to you that does report C2 errors and most closely resembles the capabilities of the burner you are testing. If you do not have any drive that reports C2 errors, then you can’t contribute your test results to this thread.

Also, allow the reader to automatically select its maximum read speed during the surface scan test. Do not artificially limit the reading speed through utilities such as Nero DriveSpeed.

Naturally :)

cfitz wrote:5. If the disc is error-free, report the actual burn speed as described in step 8. Error-free means that ScanDisc reports no unreadable sectors and no damaged sectors.

Except for the CD Speed bug which leaves the last block red, or unreadable. If I state this in the instructions then people will leave out most of their results because the last block is red. Damn CD Speed for that bug! :P

cfitz wrote:8. Report your results, including the make, model and firmware version of the drive, the type, brand, speed rating and capacity of the disc, the maximum error-free burn speed actually achieved, and the manufacturer of the disc as reported by CD Speed's CD-R Info function. Optionally report the disc’s ATIP code and the actual burning time.

People should know this by now and they can see from the media compatability list itself of the standards that have been set. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby lppnet on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:51 am

lppnet wrote:Did anyone have experience with TDK GOLD CDR? What is the maximum speed that it can burn at? The label didn't stated the maximum speed but only stated mulitspeed. Think of getting a spindle of 50. Thanks in advance for the information.

opsss seem everyone is busy. Did I in the wrong place?
lppnet
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:22 am

TheWizard wrote:
cfitz wrote:2<snip>

I wouldn't recommend this because you may go through a lot of damaged discs in the meantime.

Not typically in my experience. Older drives' maximum burning speeds are now usually eclipsed by the media's rated speeds, so you won't waste discs at that end. And newer drives seem to do a good job of picking a reasonable top speed, so you won't waste discs at that end either. For example, I may put a 24x rated disc in a 48x drive, but the drive will limit the top burn speed to 32x - faster than the rated speed but not so fast as to cause problems. Of course, my experience is mostly with LiteOn drives, and LiteOn seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their firmware updated with the latest media compatibility information.

TheWizard wrote:
cfitz wrote:5<snip>

Except for the CD Speed bug which leaves the last block red, or unreadable. If I state this in the instructions then people will leave out most of their results because the last block is red. Damn CD Speed for that bug! :P

I haven't seen that bug for some time now. I'm pretty sure the latest versions of CD Speed eliminated that bug. But yes, you are right that some versions always reported the very final sector as unreadable when in fact nothing is wrong with the disc. I just felt it worthwhile to reiterate the 100% green point since it isn't uncommon for results submitted here to miss that point.

TheWizard wrote:
cfitz wrote:8<snip>

People should know this by now and they can see from the media compatability list itself of the standards that have been set. :)

Should know, yes. But I thought it might be worthwhile to spell out an explicit, step-by-step testing procedure just to further standardize the results and because sometimes contributors miss a point such as the 100% error-free point. I know I missed it myself the first time I posted.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:34 pm

lppnet wrote:Did anyone have experience with TDK GOLD CDR? What is the maximum speed that it can burn at? The label didn't stated the maximum speed but only stated mulitspeed. Think of getting a spindle of 50. Thanks in advance for the information.

We're not too busy, but I think you didn't get a response because none of us have experience with TDK Gold CD-R's. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Alejandra on Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:05 pm

Wizard I tested more CMC media.

Imation 40x/CMC are hopeless, I test at diferent speeds, even at 16x these discs have errors.

On the other hand, TDK 32x/CMC and Samsung 32x/CMC can be writed @52x on 52246S and @48x on 48125W.

Here are some pics:

Made in taiwan

These CMC Imation, TDK and Samsung media are the same ID and dye type.
Ciao,
macgirl.

Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:36 pm

I bought a 10pack of 16X TDK "Gold Disc" CD-Rs last year ($3.99 at Target, cheap) and they turned out to be just regular (green/blue dye) Ritek made TDK's with a gold top instead of the usual silver.

ATIP: 97m 15s 12f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Really disapointing, I thought they would be higher quality. I dont know who makes the new ones, my guess would be CMC or Ritek.

The best TDK CD-R's I have found are "Made in Japan" by TY.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby Colonel Panic on Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:37 pm

Alejandra wrote:Wizard I tested more CMC media.

Imation 40x/CMC are hopeless, I test at diferent speeds, even at 16x these discs have errors.

On the other hand, TDK 32x/CMC and Samsung 32x/CMC can be writed @52x on 52246S and @48x on 48125W.

These CMC Imation, TDK and Samsung media are the same ID and dye type.

Hey.....I got one of those Verbatim 48x 80min CDRs with my Lacie 48x12x48x Firewire. Verbatims are great! And TDKs are good? I thought that their earlier stuff wasn't that great...i dunno. But thanks for the heads up on the higher speed disks.

FYI, my lacie is using the Lite-on LTR-48126S mechanism. Any ideas people, on whats the diff between the LTR-48125W and LTR-48126S? Dunno if it's been discussed yet....
Fight the Future. Visit http://www.apple.com
Colonel Panic
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:30 pm

cfitz wrote:Not typically in my experience. Older drives' maximum burning speeds are now usually eclipsed by the media's rated speeds, so you won't waste discs at that end. And newer drives seem to do a good job of picking a reasonable top speed, so you won't waste discs at that end either. For example, I may put a 24x rated disc in a 48x drive, but the drive will limit the top burn speed to 32x - faster than the rated speed but not so fast as to cause problems. Of course, my experience is mostly with LiteOn drives, and LiteOn seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their firmware updated with the latest media compatibility information.

I have 2 LG drives, I don't have the luxury of the drive telling me what the recommended write speed is for a certain disc. Although Lite-On drives are very dense, they do not make up the entire market, and I'm sure other drive manufacturers don't have the recommended burn speed like Lite-On does. :)

All your points are well-received, cfitz, and I appreciate you submitting them. Although, at this stage, I don't find it wise to weight the user down with so many instructions or else they won't bother to do the tests. It's like taking a questionnaire, would you read through three pages of instructions and disclaimers to complete only one page of actual questions? I wouldn't.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:56 pm

TheWizard wrote:Although, at this stage, I don't find it wise to weight the user down with so many instructions or else they won't bother to do the tests. It's like taking a questionnaire, would you read through three pages of instructions and disclaimers to complete only one page of actual questions? I wouldn't.

A valid point, and one I considered. It depends on one's personality. Some people like to have everything spelled out in great detail, others like to just follow their noses. Well, I will leave the post in case there are some people who want a step-by-step list of instructions. If you have any points you specifically want me to edit, let me know. Otherwise I will just let your replies stand for the official view.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:12 am

cfitz wrote:A valid point, and one I considered. It depends on one's personality. Some people like to have everything spelled out in great detail, others like to just follow their noses.

cfitz

I know what type of person you are, cfitz. We're all different and uniqueness makes the world go round. :)

Colonel Panic wrote:FYI, my lacie is using the Lite-on LTR-48126S mechanism. Any ideas people, on whats the diff between the LTR-48125W and LTR-48126S? Dunno if it's been discussed yet....

If I remember correctly, the difference is that the LTR-48126S is upgradable to 52X24X52, or is that the LTR-40125S is upgradable to 48X24X48? In short, the S uses different technology, a different chipset, which allows the upgrade.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to Recordable Media Discussion