Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What things distract you from being happy

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

What things distract you from being happy

Postby MonteLDS on Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:43 pm

Recently I have felt unhappy and have been pondering why. What is that keeps me from being happy; Jennifer says it is a state of mind. I have a hard time staying in that kind of mind state with things constantly distracting me.

Security is the most distracting thing for me. Security in work, in relationships, in world wide government, etc…

I think my concern with work & my relationship has slowly turned me sour. I never feel so comfortable about where life is going.

Well enough about this pity party. Let me hear what you have to say about the subject
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby NoSmartz on Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:06 pm

reality

E
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
Soren Kierkegaard
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:17 pm

hrm, for me it would have to be the fact that my girlfriend and I are about to call it quits after just under 2 years... that and my mother is getting sicker and sicker at the moment.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:26 pm

yup, 100% official now. I'm a single dolphin again. :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:13 pm

Happiness is what you make of it. Only you can make yourself unhappy.

Here's hoping happiness.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Erections and being away from my girlfriend.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:39 pm

MonteLDS, maybe you need a new job and/or girlfriend?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:49 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:yup, 100% official now. I'm a single dolphin again. :cry:

Sorry to hear that, dolphinius_rex. It sounds like you are in a tough stretch right now. I hope things turn around soon.

MonteLDS, I think Ian gave you some good advice. You are still really young, so if you are unhappy with your job and relationship, now is the time to explore alternatives before you are committed to something that doesn't work for you.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby jase on Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:17 pm

I am prone to bouts of insecurity and near-depression. I think a lot of it depends on self confidence -- if you lack it at any time for whatever reason, tiny, silly things can send you spiralling downwards.

I have had times where I've been contemplating suicide for weeks at a time, triggered by a flippant remark by someone at work, and the worst part of it was having absolutely no idea why I feel that way. Ridiculous, but it shows how fragile we can all be at times.

I guess seeing a shrink is probably sensible at times like that.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:29 pm

I've been to a shrink once. I had some medical problems that my doctor had no answer for. Naturally, she thought it was all in my head. To humor her, I went and saw a shrink. Big mistake.

I go to the nuthouse to see the shrink and he ends up being a resident. Nice guy, I chat with him... blah blah.. Then because he's a resident, he brings in his advisor. Now this guy is your stereotypical shrink. Crazy Einstein-like hair, disheveled clothes, etc. Within (literally) 5 minutes of talking to me, he's telling me that I had some horrible, emothional experience as a child. Needless to say, I walked out and never came back. Personally, I think the guy was crazier than the people that came in to talk to him.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:31 am

jase wrote:I am prone to bouts of insecurity and near-depression. I think a lot of it depends on self confidence -- if you lack it at any time for whatever reason, tiny, silly things can send you spiralling downwards.

I have had times where I've been contemplating suicide for weeks at a time, triggered by a flippant remark by someone at work, and the worst part of it was having absolutely no idea why I feel that way. Ridiculous, but it shows how fragile we can all be at times.

I guess seeing a shrink is probably sensible at times like that.

Yes, that is definitely a time to visit a professional. Ian's experience notwithstanding, I think most pyschiatrists these days have gotten over the whole Freudian thing and, together with modern medicines, can give real help to those suffering from depression. In any event, you shouldn't feel that you need to tough out hard times by yourself, and you should aboslutely seek professional attention if you are considering suicide. Please don't keep quiet - tell someone!

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:02 am

Thanks cfitz :) don't worry, I'll be fine. I'm surrounded by people who care, and work to immerse myself in. :wink:

Jase: Deffinatly seek help man, and don't be ashamed :) A lot more people have seen psychiatrists then you may think, and I include myself in that group too.

MonteLDS: It might be time to re-evaluate your personal needs, and check to make sure that your current situation meets them. Your job may be due for a change... this doesn't neccessarily mean quitting either. Perhaps you can move to a different department? Maybe talking with your G/F will help clear things up too. Communication is essential in this, as well as honesty and openess, take it from me on that one! Good luck!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:09 am

Having to work. It doesn't make me unhappy, but it is a distraction. Hell, I even like my job. But the mere fact that I have to be there prevents it from being truly enjoyable.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby MonteLDS on Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:54 am

Ian wrote:MonteLDS, maybe you need a new job and/or girlfriend?

it is hard for me to pull away from such things. Because I am a consultant. It is an uneasy market right now for me. And I just don't feel right about leaving Jennifer, because well it will either get better in the next two weeks or possibly end.

One person said I need to go on a vacation alone.

I said, 'uh, and do what?'

MonteLDS <)--- has never understood vacation
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:42 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:yup, 100% official now. I'm a single dolphin again. :cry:
Sorry to hear that, man. :( Hang in there.

I used to get pissed about work a LOT. I didn't mind doing a lot of extras "for the good of the clinic". After awhile, more and more and more was expected of me. The two things that make things seem not so bad are my wife and daughter. Thank God for them. They keep me grounded in a good way. I could have a horrible day and bring it home to the door. When I open the door, all of my frustrations melt away when my little girl runs up to me. Everything else becomes unimportant. I'm a very lucky man.

I guess the married people here in the forums are far and betwen? I know Boone and Ian are married, right (and JamieW is about to join the ranks if I remember correctly)? Who else? Dunno how it is with you guys, but being married changes things somehow.

I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:43 am

F1Pilot wrote:I guess the married people here in the forums are far and betwen?

you could start a poll! :)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby VEFF on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:06 am

In my case, it is more other people close to me (relationship for example) bringing me down with their problems that weigh on me.
I tend to be relatively easy-going, and have been very fortunate in many aspects of life so far, so I am happy with things overall. I do have times where the commute and work get to me, among other things, but I can't complain.
Others around me have not been so lucky, and that is where I get stressed out, because I want to help them feel better about things...

Then again, being alone is no fun either, although it isn't always as stressful, in many respects.
Last edited by VEFF on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:29 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:hrm, for me it would have to be the fact that my girlfriend and I are about to call it quits after just under 2 years... that and my mother is getting sicker and sicker at the moment.

I am sorry to hear that! :(
I really hope things get better for you and your mother from here on out dolphinius!
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:49 pm

having bipolar disorder,being broke,not having enough dope,women in general.
Fix those problems and I'd be a happy man.
:-?
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden