Home News Reviews Forums Shop

wow, new computer *AND* a new CD burner with it ;)

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

wow, new computer *AND* a new CD burner with it ;)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:22 pm

My life has gone from busy and weird, to really busy and FREAKY weird!

So I broke up with my g/f a little while a go, over some trust issues, but more so because she was using me as a crutch in life, and never went out and learned to handle doing things on her own. Well, to my surprise, after she got past the extremely annoying whining stage, and the "you can't REALLY be serious?!?!" stage, she actually went out and started working on the problems that I had with her. She still has a long way to go before she's ready for life on her own, but she's at least trying and making headway now. So based on this effort, we are *tentatively* back together, taking things slow, and being very open and even sometimes blunt about the way things are and the way things should be. Our relationship is very different from the way it was, but it is moving in a positive direction now, unlike before when it was stagnating. We'll see how it goes though.

Well, that was one part. The other part was my ex-g/f from way back (well, not THAT way back, but about 3-4 years ago) who was my first g/f, called me up and offered me her computer. I said "umm... ok, how much do you want for it?" to which she replied "no, I want you to have it". I argued with her back and forth a little, but eventually agreed to accept her computer. The reason she is getting rid of it is because she is getting a top of the line system (not *QUITE* as good as Hoxland's :wink: ) and doens't have a use, or the space for 2 systems. And she knows what I do, and that I will use it for helping others through my webpage. So based on this information, I agreed to take it. So now I have a new (new to me) computer, complete with everything but a monitor, just waiting to be plugged in and setup. This will GREATLY increase my testing abilities! ANd as an added bonus, it came with a LiteON 48246S CD burner, and some other DVD-ROM drive I think. So that makes at least 3 LiteON optical drives in my posession, and a total of 8 optical drive in total, with 5 CD burners (including the Yamaha CRW-F1 which is *STILL* in the U.S.), 2 DVD burners, and a DVD-ROM drive that I've yet to identify.

To top it off, I am working on a big business deal which will hopefully change the recordable DVD market in Canada for the better, and bring me one step closer to getting rid of Princo as a likely choice for price conscious consumers.

Life is weird. 2 weeks ago it was crap, and now I feel on top of the world! :)
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:00 am

Glad to hear it :D
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:42 am

Hey, I just got a new system too!

Only problem: It's a 200MHz Pentium that's running Win2K. Can you say SLOW!?! Plus buggy as hell...can't even drag-and-drop!

Oh well. They new Athlon XP should be here Monday; and hey, this thing was only $10 (for the complete PC, minus monitor). I figure it'll be good for those old-school DOS games that chock under Win2K/XP. I would put Win95 on it, had I had it.

Oh, and nice avatar wicked1 :) :wink:
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby wicked1 on Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:19 am

I think it would be the second case of avatar commandeering? :lol:
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:46 am

wicked1 wrote:I think it would be the second case of avatar commandeering? :lol:

the first actually! :-)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:31 am

THe mystery drive turned out not to be a DVD-ROM, but another LiteON CD Burner (the black bezel threw me off...)

So now I have:

LiteON 48125W
LiteON LDW-411s
LiteON 48246S (will probably overclock to 52246S)
LiteON 24102B

LG 8525B

Plextor Premium

Pioneer DVR-107

Yamaha CRW-F1 (still on it's way from the U.S.)

Well, I'm starting to really pickup my collection! I'm starting to think I might need a few other brands of CD/DVD burners in the future though. I'm really considering an LG DVD burner, or the NEC 2500. But with juicy 12x/16x burners or even DL burners on the horizon, I think I better wait :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:44 am

Indeed, wait for 12X or 16X DVD burners. I'm waiting specifically until the prices come way down.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby LoneWolf on Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:05 pm

I just got given a system too.

eMachines eTower 667ir, Celeron 667, with a Samsung CD-ROM and a Samsung CD burner. Tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers.

Hoping to sell it to pay for some of my car repair bill from this week. I've done enough charity computer work in the past that sometimes, what goes around comes around. :)
Intel Q9450 @3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA EP45-UD3P, 4 x 2GB G.Skill @4-4-4-12
Antec P160SW case (modded), Xigmatek 750w PSU
3x 500GB (RAID-5), , OptiArc 7200S, ASUS E818A3T
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer, Hauppauge HVR-1800, Radeon 4890
Dell 2407WFP
LoneWolf
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden