Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Free Sonic Updates

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Free Sonic Updates

Postby RPedigo on Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:52 pm

LiteOn Customer Free MyDVD Update 4.x to 5.2.3:
http://estore.sonic.com/updates/LITEON/

Sony RecordNow Free Update 6.7.1:
http://patches.sonic.com/UM/rn671u.exe

Sony MyDVD Free Update 5.2.3 [Username: Sony / Password: MyDVD Serial]:
http://www.sonicjapan.co.jp/oem/sony/mydvdvup_en.html

-----------------------

We also have a new PX engine:

Update PX Engine Link: [This is the engine we use to burn]
http://support.sonic.com/dwnld/engine.a ... ct=desktop
Thanks, and have a great day!
Ryan Pedigo, Sonic Tech Support
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby Ian on Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Any links to DLA updates?

btw.. its good to see someone from Sonic on this forum. I've got a lot of comments/questions for you guys. :D
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby RPedigo on Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:24 am

Well actually, if you have the OEM Sony version, on the MyDVD page there is a link for a DLA update as well.

As for other DLA updates, not too sure. I'm at home right now and don't have access to who gets what. Basically though, if you don't have a Sony or Lite-On OEM version, then there probably aren't any updates for you.

Bring on the questions, I'm here to help!
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby alien7 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:24 am

Yep, the updated PX engine is dated August 2004, installed and working fine (using Sonic RecordNow 7 now since Nero was producing coasters from my blank DVD+R media). :evil:
@ RPedigo: what is the difference between Sonic RecordNow v7 and v7.2? Any updates from v7 to v7.2 available yet? Thanks for any help! 8)
alien7
Buffer Underrun

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:33 am

alien: Right now I'm not at work, so I can't really grab every feature, but I know that we tout that RecordNow 7.2 supports Dual-Layer media. I know there is probably more, but I know the DL support is the biggest improvement. I'll elaborate more tomorrow when I get all the differences.

As for updates, no idea, I just do tech, I can ask someone in Sales tomorrow. I just fix stuff when it breaks 8)
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:36 pm

I talked to sales. The main difference IS the dual layer support, and we're running an ad where if you have 7.0 basic you can upgrade to 7.2 basic for $15.

If you don't have a dual layer burner, just stick with 7.0.

(can I get a Sonic Tech Support custom title?) :D
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby Ian on Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:55 pm

RPedigo wrote:(can I get a Sonic Tech Support custom title?) :D

Yup. Not a problem.

As you probably know, I use DLA for most of my packet writing tests. I've been using DLA 4.60 and it doesn't work very well with some of the newer drives. I upgraded to 4.90 and the performance doesn't seem to be as good as with 4.60.

Anyway.. I'm rambing. What is the latest version of DLA and how can people upgrade? I'm not a big fan of using Sonic's update program. It has never worked right for me. Downloading them via your website would work better.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby alien7 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:18 pm

@ RPedigo:
Thanks for your fast reply!

I will have a Dual Layer DVD Burner (for Benq DW822A per firmware update in Sep. 2004) and I could use the Dual Layer support. I got Sonic RecordNow 6.7 bundled with my Benq DW822A drive and it would be fair from Sonic to get a free update with support for Dual Layer burning in September!
I also have one COMPLAINT: I would be glad to buy Sonic RecordNow Deluxe v7.2, BUT in a few days/weeks, Sonic will probably release v7.3, and I will not be able to update to that version (at least not for free)! :roll:
All the other companies (such as Ahead, NTI, Roxio etc) offer free updates on their products (for example, Ahead offers free monthly updates for Nero Burning Rom 7 users), which you can download for free from their website! Why does Sonic not offer the same??? Once I pay for version 7, I should be able to update for free to v7.2, and not have to pay money for every small update. Could you please pass this complaint to your Sales Dept. and post a reply here, because I think we (the customers) deserve an anwer to this! I really hope that Sonic will change the update policy in the future, otherwise you will be loosing potential customers who are interested in buying your products!
Again, thanks a lot RPedigo and looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
alien
alien7
Buffer Underrun

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:23 pm

Ian wrote:
RPedigo wrote:(can I get a Sonic Tech Support custom title?) :D

Yup. Not a problem.

As you probably know, I use DLA for most of my packet writing tests. I've been using DLA 4.60 and it doesn't work very well with some of the newer drives. I upgraded to 4.90 and the performance doesn't seem to be as good as with 4.60.

Anyway.. I'm rambing. What is the latest version of DLA and how can people upgrade? I'm not a big fan of using Sonic's update program. It has never worked right for me. Downloading them via your website would work better.

4.90 is the newest version as of now. 4.90 has a bunch of bug fixes (like freezing people's control panel) and should have equivalent performance or better than 4.60.

Sonic's Update Manager program is not wholly compatible with many systems, but we're redesigning it to work with every single system, and even give users a choice on frequency of updating. Technically this should resolve a lot of issues people have been having.

If you have a firewall or antivirus then you may want to ensure that the ports are open. Update manager currently uses standard HTTP ports for communication. Specifically, requests go to:

UpdateUrl=http://updates.sonic.com/servlet/StorageGuard/update

Depending on the firewall app, all that should be required is port 80/8080… some apps might require that the specific app sgtray.exe added to an exclude list.

Update Manager 2.9:
http://patches.sonic.com/UM/um29.exe

You can also try using the Update Manager v2.9 if you are not running it already. If it still does not work, then just make sure all your programs are registered with Sonic, and log in, and make sure that you're set to recieve notifications from us. That way, you can get an e-mail any time there is a potential update for your software. If you want to remove the Update Manager, it's Sonic Update Manager in add/remove programs, and will not hinder the performance of any of your Sonic applications.
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:28 pm

alien7 wrote:@ RPedigo:
Thanks for your fast reply!

I will have a Dual Layer DVD Burner (for Benq DW822A per firmware update in Sep. 2004) and I could use the Dual Layer support. I got Sonic RecordNow 6.7 bundled with my Benq DW822A drive and it would be fair from Sonic to get a free update with support for Dual Layer burning in September!
I also have one COMPLAINT: I would be glad to buy Sonic RecordNow Deluxe v7.2, BUT in a few days/weeks, Sonic will probably release v7.3, and I will not be able to update to that version (at least not for free)! :roll:
All the other companies (such as Ahead, NTI, Roxio etc) offer free updates on their products (for example, Ahead offers free monthly updates for Nero Burning Rom 7 users), which you can download for free from their website! Why does Sonic not offer the same??? Once I pay for version 7, I should be able to update for free to v7.2, and not have to pay money for every small update. Could you please pass this complaint to your Sales Dept. and post a reply here, because I think we (the customers) deserve an anwer to this! I really hope that Sonic will change the update policy in the future, otherwise you will be loosing potential customers who are interested in buying your products!
Again, thanks a lot RPedigo and looking forward to your reply!

Best regards,
alien

Alien,

Unfortunately, we do not control who gets the updates. When we bundle our software with a device such as your BENQ writer, they sign a contact saying that basically, they own the software. They have sole distribution rights for users who have the bundled software, and have all the rights to upgrade.

Companies like Lite-On and Sony bought updates from us to provide to their users. When you see companies give free Nero updates, they paid Nero for that ability as well. It all comes down to the dollar, and what the OEM bundling company wants to pay. Perhaps the company signs a contract with Nero saying as part of the deal they get all the updates, I'm not too sure.

All I know is the individual OEM bundler becomes responsible for distribution of software and updates once we give them the software. Sonic couldn't even give updates if they wanted to. You could ask BENQ to allow the users to update to 7.2 as it supports Dual-Layer and would be key to getting users to buy their burner, but unfortunately this isn't an issue that I can help you out with.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ryan Pedigo
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby alien7 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:37 pm

@ RPedigo:
thanks for your fast reply.
What about the second part of my question: I buy RecordNow Deluxe v7.2 now, Sonic releases RecordNow Deluxe v7.3 in a few weeks=>no update to v7.3 possible OR I have to pay for an update (none of the other companies does that btw). Why this update policy and will this policy ever change? If it doesn't change, I will not spend money on software I cannot update (or cannot update for free).
This is what's bothering me and other potential customers!

Regards,
alien

P.S. Btw, Sonic Update Manager v2.9 doesn't seem to do anything, I have Sonic DLA v4.6 installed and when I check for updates, it says: All of your Sonic products are currently up to date. How can I download this update manually? Thanks.
alien7
Buffer Underrun

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:57 pm

alien7 wrote:@ RPedigo:
thanks for your fast reply.
What about the second part of my question: I buy RecordNow Deluxe v7.2 now, Sonic releases RecordNow Deluxe v7.3 in a few weeks=>no update to v7.3 possible OR I have to pay for an update (none of the other companies does that btw). Why this update policy and will this policy ever change? If it doesn't change, I will not spend money on software I cannot update (or cannot update for free).
This is what's bothering me and other potential customers!

Regards,
alien

P.S. Btw, Sonic Update Manager v2.9 doesn't seem to do anything, I have Sonic DLA v4.6 installed and when I check for updates, it says: All of your Sonic products are currently up to date. How can I download this update manually? Thanks.

It may or may not be a paid upgrade. Some upgrades are free, but some are paid because Sales or some executives deem that it is a very important update (all the dual-layer versions of RecordNow, or MyDVD are paid upgrades if you have the non-Dual Layer version of the software). I'm not in sales so I'm not sure if the newer updates would be paid updates or not, but I agree that the updates should be free.

What's your e-mail address? I can look up your registration details and see which updates you are entitled to. Some OEM versions have 4.60 as the newest version and there are no updates.

I know that 7.3 SHOULD be free, unless they have some groundbreaking changes. MyDVD 5.0 -> 5.2 was free, but MyDVD 5.x -> 5.3 has no update path right now, and will be a paid upgrade.
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby alien7 on Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:30 pm

This is my last post regarding this topic, please don't take it personal RPedigo, it is meant for Sonic Sales Department:

-my friend purchased Sonic RecordNow Deluxe v7, and would like to update to the newest version, which is v7.2 at this time. The only difference between v7 and v7.2 is the added Dual Layer Recording support. According to Sonic Sales Dept., there is no update available for his version, but users of Sonic RecordNow v7 can update to v7.2 for $19.99 (50% of the purchase price for Sonic RecordNow v7). He purchased Sonic RecordNow Deluxe v7 in May 2004, v7.2 was released in June 2004, and he doesn't even get a free update for that short period of time. That is a bad joke, below are update policies of some of your competitors:
Ahead: Nero Burning Rom 7 users get free monthly updates for their software, which they can download conveniently from nero.com. Nero Burning Rom v7 didn't have any Dual Layer Recording support in the initial release (v7.0), this has been added later in v7.3 for free. Not only that, Ahead added NeroVision Express 2, Nero Recode 2 and Nero ShowTime, again for free.
The same with Roxio (which Sonic acquired recently): Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 didn't support Dual Layer Recording in the initial release (v7.0), this has been added for free in v7.0.430.0.
Let's compare these two examples with Sonic again: a customer purchases Sonic RecordNow v7 (with no support for Dual Layer Recording) in May 2004, Sonic releases v7.2 (with support for Dual Layer Recording) in June 2004 (one month later) and demands money for the update! :roll:

Let's say my friend doesn't need the Dual Layer Recording Support, but he would like to update for free to v7.1. This is not possible again, since Sonic doesn't offer any updates to v7.1 (if there is an update, please post a link, since he wasn't able to find any @ sonic.com or by using the Update Manager, which btw never updates anything, I don't know why it's even called that, it should be called serial-number blacklister).

Conclusion: you are an honest customer and purchase Sonic RecordNow, a month later an updated version is released, but you either cannot update OR have to pay money for that, whereas all the other companies offer free updates to their customers.

-I own Sonic DLA v4.6, and I am not entitled for a free update to v4.9, which by the way doesn't offer anything new, expect added support for new CD/DVD Recorders and some bugfixes. So, if I want to update, I would have to pay money again, how nice from Sonic, a great way to rip off their customers.

-PX engine update: last update was in November 2003, Sonic finaly released an updated engine in August 2004=>it took Sonic 10 months to release an update that supports new CD/DVD Recorders. Again, your competition releases free monthly updates for their software, you guys take 10 months to post an updated PX engine, well done!

I can continue with even more examples, but I don't have any more time available. Like I said before, Sonic makes some good products, for which I would be ready to pay, but not with the present update policy.

Regards,
aLiEn
Last edited by alien7 on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
alien7
Buffer Underrun

Postby RPedigo on Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:13 pm

Alien,

You know, you're 100% right. I don't know why this is the company setup, and I don't know if they plan on changing it.

If you supply me with you and your friends e-mail I can see if you qualify for any updates.

Ryan
RPedigo
Sonic Tech Support

Postby suzukigsx1300r06 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:42 pm

ok so i just did a full hard drive wipe and redid my whole computer. I could have sworn that the Roxio DLA has switched over to the name Sonic DLA. But i can't remember. Can anybody help me out here? I have:

-Roxio DLA 5.2.0
-Sonic MyDVD 5.3.0
-Sonic RecordNow! 7.3

And i could have downloaded Sonic Digital Media V.7 but i dont know what that is or if it's anything id use (and the download on the dell website wouldnt work for me). Are all of my programs updated to date as far as free updates are concerned?
suzukigsx1300r06
Buffer Underrun

Re: Free Sonic Updates

Postby tazzyt19 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 am

I'm having problems with my sonic record now. I think it is the version 7. I use to be able to burn a backup movie in 15 mins or less. it just took me over four hours to burn one. it is moving with 2 cpu per second. how can i speed it back up? or what could I have done to mess it up? thanks in advance
tazzyt19
Buffer Underrun

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio