Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pioneer DVD Burners to support PI/PO scanning

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Pioneer DVD Burners to support PI/PO scanning

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:00 pm

Well, here's a surprise for everyone! Pioneer has finally joined with LiteON, BenQ and Plextor in supporting PI/PO scanning methods. Currently DVDInfoPro is in the beta stages of supporting this feature, but I'm sure it will be released soon. It wouldn't surprise me if CD/DVD Speed also supported the feature in the not to distant future.

Personally I can't wait to try this out! :D

I wonder how much longer it will be before LG and NEC support this? 8)

More info on the Pioneer here:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=8 ... ey=&#89165
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Interesting. Hopefully we'll see support in CD Speed as well.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ItalianJob on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:11 pm

Ian wrote:Interesting. Hopefully we'll see support in CD Speed as well.

Not interesting... Amazing ! How can this functionnality stay hidden for so long in the Pioneer DVR-108 ???

And what about the possibility for NEC 3500 drive, since they have a lot in common (same chip) ... ?
ItalianJob
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:20 pm

it's not just the DVR-108.... supposedly it goes back to the Pioneer DVR-103!! :o

And yes, what does this say about drives that share the same chipset???

Of course, we still don't know yet what kind of errors it's reporting entirely, and what ECC Sum is being used. You better believe I'll be keeping an eye on this :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:49 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:You better believe I'll be keeping an eye on this :wink:

You can bet your ass that NicW and Co. will also be dropping tidbits here and there for the next few months. Just enough to get us all interested. #-o
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:03 pm

please post when its released please, hell, Ian can you start a cellphone texting service for news? hehe [-o<
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:04 pm

hoxlund wrote:hell, Ian can you start a cellphone texting service for news? hehe [-o<

I thought that's what I was for, :P
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby zebraxor on Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:53 am

Ian wrote:You can bet your ass that NicW and Co. will also be dropping tidbits here and there for the next few months. Just enough to get us all interested. #-o

Hehe. It's worth noting, that it is still in a formative stage. We will be posting more info as it pops up. A release will turn up sooner rather than later. There are a few other functions being worked on currently - so that might not be the only surprise in the next release of DVDInfoPro.

Ok. Enough hype - another shot.

As afforementioned, it is still formative. There is much to do yet, in getting things 'right' per se. As usual, its somewhat pointless making a statement such as "xyz MID burned with abc firmware on def drive looks better/worse than the Pioneer type scans". It's just not a comparable set of testing factors, as we all know.
zebraxor
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:22 am

Thanks Zebraxor!

Of course, I think I'm drooling now =P~

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 am

I allways said NEC and Pioneer told a good fairytale that there chipset was not supporting it.
Now it's nice that Pioneer seems to have changed.
Now next LG and NEC should support it.
Also include low level testing parameters if possible !
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby BMR on Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:49 pm

RJW wrote:I allways said NEC and Pioneer told a good fairytale that there chipset was not supporting it.
Now it's nice that Pioneer seems to have changed.
Now next LG and NEC should support it.
Also include low level testing parameters if possible !

I was just thinking about this today before I read this thread, that it is very odd that Pioneer never supported bitsetting on their drives for changing the booktype of a DVD+R to DVD-ROM and yet as soon as the dual layer came out and fears of incompatibility with older players reading this disk emmerged, suddenly bitsetting was supported but ONLY for DVD+RDL.

One wonders how many other burried features may emerge in the future ????

BMR
This guy's name is "Snoopy". He keeps me company while I am online.
BMR
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:07 pm

actually, you'd be amazed at what Pioneer drive are actually capable of... but what is released to the public is another matter. Also, with regard to NEC using the same chipset as Pioneer, and therefor be able to support PI/PO error checking... it might not be as easy as this :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby pchilson on Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:58 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:actually, you'd be amazed at what Pioneer drive are actually capable of... but what is released to the public is another matter. Also, with regard to NEC using the same chipset as Pioneer, and therefor be able to support PI/PO error checking... it might not be as easy as this :wink:

So instead of innuendo why not tell us?
Give us a good reason why you would design and build a rocket ship and then only allow the public to see it as a model airplane.
pchilson
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:27 pm

pchilson wrote:So instead of innuendo why not tell us?
Give us a good reason why you would design and build a rocket ship and then only allow the public to see it as a model airplane.

I don't know why Pioneer did things the way they did. I don't know why Taiyo Yuden does things the way THEY do. Both of these company's baffle me. Heck, I don't know why Ritek went back to using a Cyanine dye type, to create even crappier CD-Rs then their Chinese made stuff....

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Alejandra on Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:17 pm

I was planning to buy a LiteOn drive to make scans, but now I can use that money for my next Pioneer :D
Ciao,
macgirl.

Tired of hackintoshes and went with the real deal.
Alejandra
CD-RW Player

Postby BMR on Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:32 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:I don't know why Pioneer did things the way they did. I don't know why Taiyo Yuden does things the way THEY do. Both of these company's baffle me. Heck, I don't know why Ritek went back to using a Cyanine dye type, to create even crappier CD-Rs then their Chinese made stuff....

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark on this one and guess that the underlying reason would be MONEY MONEY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is only a guess .........

BMR
This guy's name is "Snoopy". He keeps me company while I am online.
BMR
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:44 am

BMR wrote:
I am going to take a wild stab in the dark on this one and guess that the underlying reason would be MONEY MONEY MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is only a guess .........

BMR

The problem is that all three companies I mentioned are doing things that look very much like they are trying to lose money, or at the very best, assist their competition in ruining them (as in the case of Taiyo Yuden).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:10 pm

Also, with regard to NEC using the same chipset as Pioneer, and therefor be able to support PI/PO error checking... it might not be as easy as this

Wrong NEC drives can do this quite easillly if NEC worked a little bit more with the users a long or did a little more work themselves. It's just that NEC doesn't seem interested at this time.

About Pioneer. I know that Pioneer allways had some doubts about the fact if end users should have this and if they could actually use it.
Pioneer knows to well that there drive are tuned of excellent readers for bad dvdrecordables. So is the result the drive gives back still in line for most drives performance. In other word there's a good change that Pioneer drive will say it's fine will some of there older home recorders will choke over it and with the American I sue YOU culture you know what you can expect !!

About Ritek cyanine - The reason why they make these is because it costs them allmost nothing to manufacture. Only real cost post are Philips/SONY/TY Royalties. And it seems that Ritek at this time is haveing more product lines then needed. So any way to still get income is welcome. Because leting lines stand still is even more money burning.
So if this means they will have to compete with Princo then they will do it.

About TY autostrategy technology - Sofar the PX-716 supports this and does that drive burn disc's very good at this time ?? Oh wait we Euro's can test this because actually Plextor themselves came up with that it sucks at this time. So so much at this time for the big name called autostrategy. (Still TY got some nice money for it !) Yeah it was marketed as a holy grail. The results so far are not that promiseing. Hmm maybe plextor better used PHilips WOPC trick !! Since that one prooved to be working if the standard strategy is correct !!
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby zebraxor on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:26 pm

Interesting opinions there RJW! :D

However, would empiracle evidence suggest that this:

Pioneer knows to well that there drive are tuned of excellent readers for bad dvd-recordables.

...is a somewhat false statement? It is an interesting point you make, in that Pioneer would not want end users to "see" the quality of a write from their hardware - but I don't think there is a strong case for Pioneer drives having poor write quality as a generalised statement.
zebraxor
Buffer Underrun

Postby nicw on Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:56 am

Ian wrote:
dolphinius_rex wrote:You better believe I'll be keeping an eye on this :wink:

You can bet your ass that NicW and Co. will also be dropping tidbits here and there for the next few months. Just enough to get us all interested. #-o

Actually that is not the plan at all. The response for this has been so big, that we are considering bypassing the public beta and moving straight to release, as so many want to check it out.

Expect a release in a couple of days all being well.

cheers
NicW
nicw
Buffer Underrun

Postby hoxlund on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:20 am

this feature would be sooooo nice, thx nicw and i think zebra dude
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:20 am

Kick ass.. thanks for the heads up Nic.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby alexnoe on Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:44 am

Why?
Pioneer knows to well that there drive are tuned of excellent readers for bad dvd-recordables.

Vivastar crap disc:
reading successful: LG 4120B, Toshiba 1712
reading failed: Plextor 708/712, Pioneer A08, Nec 3500, MSI DR16-B, Pioneer DVD-115
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:09 am

alexnoe wrote:
Why?

Well, for one... every time there is a new version of DVDInfoPro, my then "outdated" version crashes every time I try to load it. Something about the update checking feature seems to go very much against my system whenever a new update is found to be available. I find this most frustrating, and tend to use CDSpeed more often because of it.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:13 am

Same here...
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to DVD Writers