Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Artec DR-RE 12A DVD Recorder?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Artec DR-RE 12A DVD Recorder?

Postby burticus on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 am

Anyone ever seen or heard of one of these? Anyone? Anyone?

Zipzoomfly has them for 129 after instant rebate. This is so cheap it's very tempting, but am a little scared.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=382300

I've been wanting a dvd burner for the living room to dump stuff from tivo... using VHS tapes is just so wrong!
burticus
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:28 pm

It's Artec.... unless they decided to get it OEM'd by BenQ or something, I think that brand name ought to be enough to scare anyone off :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: Artec DR-RE 12A DVD Recorder?

Postby eric93se on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:21 pm

burticus wrote:Anyone ever seen or heard of one of these? Anyone? Anyone?

Zipzoomfly has them for 129 after instant rebate. This is so cheap it's very tempting, but am a little scared.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=382300

I've been wanting a dvd burner for the living room to dump stuff from tivo... using VHS tapes is just so wrong!

Try it dude, it might be a diamond in the rough :P
Benq DW-1640
ASUS 1608P2 >> Crossflashed to Pioneer 110 -> RAM+Bitsetting+removed riplock+RPC1 :D

Boost Mobile stole my minutes, then would rather loose me as a customer than give back my minutes (thieves).
eric93se
CD-RW Player

Postby burticus on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:20 am

I am poor, $129 buys a lot of lap dances and isn't to be spent lightly on mysteriously cheap dvd recorders. However, these forums are free and people's crazy opinons are plentyful.

Seriously it's not like my life depends on burning dvd's with my wife's tivo'd Iron Chef episodes or anything..
burticus
CD-RW Thug

Postby RJW on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:59 am

This is probally a drive based on the philips cheap and easy to make for third parties reference design which is used by a lot of Hong Kong cheap ass manufacturers. (At least it was. Since Philips now has some licenscing problems with the same guys so it might turn out they switch formats or do something else.)
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:56 pm

It's difficult to tell from the image, but it looks very similar to a "Medion" writer I've seen going for £89 over here in a local computer fair. I didn't buy one, but I had a play with the one on display and the user interface was the same as the Yamada/Apex machines I've seen.

These machines are pretty good (hard to use but respectable results), although earlier ones had a problem with the PSU blowing which is a worry.

At the end of the day your biggest worry is whether it'll last the course, and since it'll come with a 1-year warranty that's enough -- you'll be wanting to replace it after then. Just use DVD+RW discs with it -- at the speed this thing will write, the compatibility with these is almost 100%.
jase
CD-RW Player

hard to use?

Postby unknown on Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:51 pm

Can u give me the specific's? because I have an artec, it does not read nor write.
unknown
Buffer Underrun

Return to DVD Writers