Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how many people are burning dual layer DVDs?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

how many people are burning dual layer DVDs?

Postby aristottle on Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:51 pm

Just wondering how many members of the forum are taking advantage of the dual layer burners and burning Dual Layer media?

I assume just about everyone is burning single layer because of the huge price difference......but I thought I would ask to get a feel for what users are really doing.

BTW....for single layer media is there any 16x media out yet....the fastest I can find locally is 8x?
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Re: how many people are burning dual layer DVDs?

Postby Ian on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:02 pm

aristottle wrote:BTW....for single layer media is there any 16x media out yet....the fastest I can find locally is 8x?

Plenty of 16x DVD+R media is available. Try the usual places like Best Buy and CrapUSA. I have yet to see any 16x DVD-R media locally.. but its available online.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:46 pm

I have LOT'S of 16x DVD±Rs available to me :D

Of course, all the 16x DVD-Rs are made by Verbatim or Optodisc... but 16x DVD+Rs are available in retail stores even here in Canada, so you should have no problems.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:23 pm

in my system i have 2 dual layer burners and not once have I ever burned a DL disc
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:37 am

I have... I burned *1* dual layer DVDR with the intention of using it for personal stuff. It actually was an uncompressed backup of a movie I own... but then when I brought it to my friends' house to watch (I don't like taking originals on "field trips") it didn't work in her PS2. Oh well :(
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:46 am

I picked up quite a few DL disks a while back. Circuit City put a coupon in a flier for buy one get one free. Went to Best Buy...had a 10% discount coupon and purchased 12 DL disks...for the price of 6, minus 10% which got me into each disk for about $4. I have burned DL with my NEC ND-3500A and my Plextor PX-716A. I have a video capture card and have been transferring all my home movies to DVD...now with DL...I am getting the entire 2 hours at best quality, etc...the Price of dual Layer disks is also coming down...Microcenter in the Dallas area has the three pack for $22. I have seen Verbatim DL, Fujifilm DL at Fry's and now Memorex. With increased competition...you will see lower prices. I have all Verbatim...which now burn at 6X on my Plex drive.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Mystery Man on Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:14 am

Ive got the pioneer A08XL and have burnt three dual layer disks. Two movies & 1 for data backup
Mystery Man
CD-RW Thug

Postby frank1 on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:56 am

I burned 2 DVD+R DL on my NEC 3500 (firmwares 2.16 and 2.FC)
one Verbatim "MKM-001"
one Platinum "Ritek-D01"
The 2 movies play

I will not buy any other DL before the price is under 5 € ...
frank1
CD-RW Player

Postby KuoH on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:23 pm

I would try it on a real DVD player as well. Some older PS2's are known for being incompatible with any burned media. I have a friend with a first gen PS2 which would not play any +R discs, yet my v7 PS2 plays both + and - discs just fine.

KuoH

dolphinius_rex wrote:I have... I burned *1* dual layer DVDR with the intention of using it for personal stuff. It actually was an uncompressed backup of a movie I own... but then when I brought it to my friends' house to watch (I don't like taking originals on "field trips") it didn't work in her PS2.
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:44 pm

KuoH wrote:I would try it on a real DVD player as well. Some older PS2's are known for being incompatible with any burned media. I have a friend with a first gen PS2 which would not play any +R discs, yet my v7 PS2 plays both + and - discs just fine.

KuoH

dolphinius_rex wrote:I have... I burned *1* dual layer DVDR with the intention of using it for personal stuff. It actually was an uncompressed backup of a movie I own... but then when I brought it to my friends' house to watch (I don't like taking originals on "field trips") it didn't work in her PS2.

Well, it played about 2/3rds of the way through.... so it passed the layer break, but couldn't finish the movie. It was weird... and frustrating!

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby kingofheck on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:08 pm

I have a NEC 3500, but so far DL discs have been
too expensive for my tastes. Right now, I'm thinking
I'd go for for it when they reach $4 or $5 per disc. :-?
kingofheck
Buffer Underrun

Postby rdgrimes on Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:23 pm

I've burned a couple dozen, I use them for those special movies that I don't want to shrink, or that don't shrink well. Aside from some wasted money on Ritek DL media, I have no regrets. NEC burns Verbatim flawlessly at 4x, sets them to ROM type, and everything seems to play them just fine.
Current drives running here: ND-2500A, ND-3500A, ND-3520A,
LTR-52327S, SOHW-1633S, SOHR-52A8S
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby spryfly on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:38 am

hoxlund wrote:in my system i have 2 dual layer burners and not once have I ever burned a DL disc

lol....i have three dl capable burners and i also have never burnt one. strange thing is that i wouldn't even concider buying a burner if it wasn't dl capable.
"Why? Said the spry little fly."

Nec 3500 LD V2 B6 Quiet
Benq 1620 B7T9 Stock
Liteon 1633sx BS41 Patched for 12x DL Ripping
spryfly
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:58 pm

i felt the same way, im just ready in case DL media comes down
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 pm

rdgrimes wrote:I've burned a couple dozen, I use them for those special movies that I don't want to shrink, or that don't shrink well. Aside from some wasted money on Ritek DL media, I have no regrets. NEC burns Verbatim flawlessly at 4x, sets them to ROM type, and everything seems to play them just fine.

what movies did you find to not shrink well ?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby rdgrimes on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:45 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
rdgrimes wrote:I've burned a couple dozen, I use them for those special movies that I don't want to shrink, or that don't shrink well. Aside from some wasted money on Ritek DL media, I have no regrets. NEC burns Verbatim flawlessly at 4x, sets them to ROM type, and everything seems to play them just fine.

what movies did you find to not shrink well ?

4 hour epocs like Heaven's Gate or Das Boot Director's Edition, or anything that is mastered with a very low bitrate and will not shrink well. Anything that requires a compression level of 80% or lower if I intend to keep it and want to keep the quality up. It really depends on the quality of the mastering.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:59 pm

rdgrimes wrote:4 hour epocs like Heaven's Gate or Das Boot Director's Edition, or anything that is mastered with a very low bitrate and will not shrink well. Anything that requires a compression level of 80% or lower if I intend to keep it and want to keep the quality up. It really depends on the quality of the mastering.

Heaven's Gate - is that Michael Chimino's first film? with Kris Kristofferson, Jeff Bridges and John Hurt? great film.
odd, didn't remember it was 4 hours long! (as a matter of fact i've seen it on TV a couple of times this last 1/2 year).
what is Das Boot ?
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby rdgrimes on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:08 pm

The theatrical version of Heaven's Gate was a butchered 1:45 min version, the real movie is about 4 hrs. (Director's Cut) The studio was going to kill the release unless it was cut to 1:45, it's an interesting story.

Das Boot:
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movie ... _boot.html
http://www.dasboot.com/

Das Boot, originally realeased in a dubbed version at 149 min and titled "The Boat". Later released in the Director's cut at 209 min with subtitles.
If you like submarine movies, this is THE one to see.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:15 pm

thanks rd.

strange...i was sure Heaven's Gate was longer than 1:45...but i guess i'm wrong because i'm positive i didn't see the 4 hour version. gotta get a hold of that...
i really like that movie.

Das Boot - thanks, yeah l like submarine movies so i guess i'll have to see if i can get that too.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:23 pm

I find that some TV series DVDs really suck when compressed. I've seen some REALLY gritty compressions of Babylon 5 DVDs.

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:47 pm

Yes, anything that's over 5-6GB will present problems when shrinking, especially if that's all movie and not extras. Most TV series run close to 7+GB per disc. Really pisses me off when they shrink the movie down to make room for 1.5GB of extras, you can't shrink it much more then. At least with a series, you're getting a full disc's worth of viewing and you can always split it onto 2 discs.

Heaven's Gate

Das Boot
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:09 am

south park compressed looks pretty bad compared to the dvd9 version

but its deffently better then tv quality so i can't really complain
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:51 am

frank1 wrote:I burned 2 DVD+R DL on my NEC 3500 (firmwares 2.16 and 2.FC)
one Verbatim "MKM-001"
one Platinum "Ritek-D01"
The 2 movies play

I will not buy any other DL before the price is under 5 € ...

Were are you living in Europe sins Ritek dual layer allready has gone below 5 euro. But then again it's ritek. MCC/Ricoh are still higher priced.

OFFTOPIC
dolphinius_rex wrote:I find that some TV series DVDs really suck when compressed. I've seen some REALLY gritty compressions of Babylon 5 DVDs.

Well that's not the only problem when it comes to mastering of that DVD's.
Also the way the used the tapes no cleaning up.
I remember how some site compared them with the laserdisc version and at some point it showed that they really screwed the DVD's up.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby aristottle on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:18 pm

DAS BOOT is awsome....one of the first DVDs that I bought. It U571 and the Hunt for Red October are all awsome....but Das Boot is truly amazing.

I have try to back up my copy of Battlefield Earth ( yes I liked the movie) and I am not able to compress it all on to one single layer DVD? Has anyone else had this problem.

Another that I can't compress in the LOrd of the Rings the return of the king.....extended version......disc 4 I can't burn? anyone else have a problem with it?
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby burticus on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:28 am

DL media still too expensive, I have not bought any. I got a free DL disc with my Benq burner and tried burning a DL movie backup... I got a power outage for 2 seconds to my house 2/3 of the way through. Lost power just long enough to screw anything not on a ups. DOH!

TV shows do look pretty bad when shrinked down... some of the Sex and the City ones look real bad, but they're for my wife and she hasn't complained. I've played with splitting them up, but it bones up the menus and it's a lot of work.
burticus
CD-RW Thug

Next

Return to DVD Writers