Home News Reviews Forums Shop

I have noticed that CDRs are dissapearing......

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

I have noticed that CDRs are dissapearing......

Postby aristottle on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:44 am

Withe the proliferation of blank DVD media in the stores, and the prices comparble to the cost of blank CD-Rs, I am wondering how long it will be before the CD-R becomes akin to the floppy?

Since I got my DVD burn some 18 months ago, I have burned atleast 500 DVDs, while maybe 10 CD-Rs..........I am just wondering if there has been much discussion as to how long the CD-R is going to be around? The blank DVD is about the same price (sometimes cheeper) so is much better value.

However, if you are burning music in the form of wave files then CDRs are the way to go..........but I don't know how many people are doing that instead of just keeping them in an MP3 format and store 4.7 gigs on a single layer DVD.

I am interested in other peoples thoughts?
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:17 am

There are still plenty of CD-R discs around here. At CompUSA, CD-R discs still dominate the media section by about 2:1. At Best Buy its about half and half. I don't see CD-R's going away any time soon.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:31 pm

CD-Rs are becoming less and less important, and people will start carrying smaller and smaller quantities as the months go on. DVD sales have begun surpassing that of CD-Rs, and there are many types of CD-Rs that are WAY more expensive then DVDRs these days. I was in Futureshop yesterday, and noticed that Maxell's CD-Rs were $10 more expensive per 100pcs then their DVDRs were... of course in Canada we have a $21 levy per 100 CD-Rs, but the average consumer does not consider this at all.

I don't see CD-Rs "dying out" per se, but I do think that in the next 6-12 months they will be pushed further and further down the shelf, to make room for 85% DVDRs.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aristottle on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:59 pm

I think you could see one of those unusual situations develop where CDR-S become very exspensive because there is such a small market for them, while the larger capacity DVDs sell much cheaper.

to illustrate my point, try shopping for A box of Floppies and see how exspensive they have become, compared to CDRs!!!
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby ETP on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:19 pm

So! Can we back up audio cds on a dvd? If so, how do you do that and will it play in a car cd player?

BQ 1640 BSOB
NEC 4550 1.6T
Plextor 716a 1.09
Pioneer 109/A09 158
Pioneer 110/A10 1.39
Liteon 5005
Sony 875P & 333ES
Liteon 5005
HK7200
Hitachi 61SDX
Two Dell 8400s & 9100 with SATA HDs
ETP
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:32 pm

aristottle wrote:I think you could see one of those unusual situations develop where CDR-S become very exspensive because there is such a small market for them, while the larger capacity DVDs sell much cheaper.

to illustrate my point, try shopping for A box of Floppies and see how exspensive they have become, compared to CDRs!!!

Well, we've already seen some small price increases, by a penny or two here and there, but I think it'll be a little longer before we see huge increases.

What I expect will happen is that as demand for CD-Rs decreases, we will see more and more small manufacturers of CD-Rs (crappy hong kong and chinese ones and some Taiwanese) will stop production completely, since their only way of turning a profit is mass volume sales. Companies with a little more business sense will stick around longer, so Ritek, Prodisc and MBIL will probably last out quite a while. I expect CMC and Taiyo Yuden would be the last ones to stop manufacturing CD-Rs, but I don't see that happening for a long LONG time.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aristottle on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:02 pm

I think you are right that CD-Rs will continue to be available for a long time....but I think the price will continue to increase as fewer and fewer companies produce the blank media.

I see the CDR market heading in the similar direction as floppies.....with one huge difference....those users that continue to burn music in the wave format.....those users will continue to use the media.......but I think the market will shrink rather quickly as more and more people continue to get use to their music being stored in an MP3 format.
aristottle
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:38 pm

aristottle wrote:I think you are right that CD-Rs will continue to be available for a long time....but I think the price will continue to increase as fewer and fewer companies produce the blank media.

I see the CDR market heading in the similar direction as floppies.....with one huge difference....those users that continue to burn music in the wave format.....those users will continue to use the media.......but I think the market will shrink rather quickly as more and more people continue to get use to their music being stored in an MP3 format.

The question remains however, when will cars start coming with DVD-Audio players?

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby MadBurner on Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:48 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:The question remains however, when will cars start coming with DVD-Audio players?

EXACTLY!!!!

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers