Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Is it possible to have SpeedRead ALWAYS on?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Is it possible to have SpeedRead ALWAYS on?

Postby Nocturnal on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:55 pm

As opposed to having to turn it on all the time prior to ripping a DVD?
Nocturnal the Unbeatable
Nocturnal
Buffer Underrun

Postby MadBurner on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:59 pm

@Nocturnal

Even if you were able to enable SpeedRead all the time, you still wouldn't be impressed with the rip speeds. Download a trial copy of AnyDVD from slysoft.com and you will have rip speeds under 20 minutes! SlySoft developed a feature exclusively for Plextor drives that removes the riplock feature.

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Re: Is it possible to have SpeedRead ALWAYS on?

Postby TCAS on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Nocturnal wrote:As opposed to having to turn it on all the time prior to ripping a DVD?

Read the following:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19444

BTW: The AnyDVD has nothing to do with rip speed increase or otherwise only removes CCS (security protection ).
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby MadBurner on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:44 pm

TCAS wrote:BTW: The AnyDVD has nothing to do with rip speed increase or otherwise only removes CCS (security protection ).

AnyDVD Features - Greatly improved read speed of CSS protected DVDs with Plextor Drives PX-708, PX-712, and PX-716. For the improved speed you must set AnyDVD's drive speed control to "Fast & Noisy."

Apparently you have never used AnyDVD with Plextor drives. It has everything to do with rip speed along with many other features.

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:07 pm

MadBurner wrote:
TCAS wrote:BTW: The AnyDVD has nothing to do with rip speed increase or otherwise only removes CCS (security protection ).

AnyDVD Features - Greatly improved read speed of CSS protected DVDs with Plextor Drives PX-708, PX-712, and PX-716. For the improved speed you must set AnyDVD's drive speed control to "Fast & Noisy."

Apparently you have never used AnyDVD with Plextor drives. It has everything to do with rip speed along with many other features.

MB

FYI, I have been using AnyDVD for more than two years and this is brand new to me that AnyDVD has anything to do with removing riplock. AnyDVd is not being developped for Plextor only, is general use tools for removing or disabling DVD Video protection.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby MadBurner on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:04 pm

TCAS wrote:FYI, I have been using AnyDVD for more than two years and this is brand new to me that AnyDVD has anything to do with removing riplock. AnyDVd is not being developped for Plextor only, is general use tools for removing or disabling DVD Video protection.

Code: Select all
Features

• Works as a driver automatically in the background
• Removes encryption (CSS) and region code (RPC) from DVDs
• Removes analogue copy protection (Macrovision)
• Removes prohibited user operations like forced subtitles and other limitations
• Decrypts WITHOUT having to save the data onto the hard disk
• Decrypts "on the fly"
• Prevents launch of software from your Video DVDs (e.g., PC-Friendly)
• Allows setting of your vertical refresh rate depending on the video material
• Allows execution of programs on disc insertion and removal
• Allows speed control of your DVD drives
• Works with all DVDs
• Works with all DVD-drives, no matter what region code it has
• Works with every DVD copying and player software (e.g. CloneDVD)
• Works transparently for the operating system: DVDs can be shared over the network, they can be copied with the command prompt or with Windows Explorer, etc.
• Proven to be stable and fast, does not need an ASPI driver
• New Feature AnyCDDA: play, copy and rip protected Audio CDs!

Well then you should know that AnyDVD does a lot more than DeCSS!

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:44 pm

With all these feature listed still there is no concrete fact that you can remove riplock on your DVD drive or speed increase during the ripping. If I am missing some thing some body correct me.
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby MadBurner on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm

@TCAS

When I enable AnyDVD's "Speed Control" my Plextor drive rips dual layer DVDs in under 17 minutes! Without it, they can take over 45 minutes!

Contact SlySoft if you want more evidence as they specifically developed this feature for Plextor drives over a year ago.

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby TCAS on Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:58 pm

I am not the owner of Plextor DVD drive but I have and use AnyDVD, for the sake this argument I conducted 2 tests with same DVD Video (protected) using AOPEN drive 1608/ARR. The first test demonstrate transfer rate test (ripping speed test) without speed control in AnyDVD being activated, second test represent the same with speed control in AnyDVD being activated. As any one can see activation or not has no affect what so ever in drive ripping speed.
Attachments
AOPENDUW1608_ARR_A080ADSCNact.png
AOPENDUW1608_ARR_A080ADSCNact.png (31.56 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
AOPENDUW1608_ARR_A080ADSCact.png
AOPENDUW1608_ARR_A080ADSCact.png (31.48 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
TCAS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 pm

I'm guessing all AnyDVD does is flip the bit for Speed Read and then set the read speed to max. You'd probably see the same performance if you went into Plextools, enabled Speed Read and then set the read speed to max.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MadBurner on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:11 pm

@TCAS

AnyDVD originally developed the Speed Control feature exclusively for Plextor drives so I am not surprised that it doesn't work with your AOPEN drive. I will run some of my own tests next time around and post the results.

@Ian

I've compared Plextor's SpeedRead feature to AnyDVD's Speed Control feature and AnyDVD's improved ripping time by the greatest margin.

MB
MadBurner
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:31 am

I don't see why, but I'll take your word for it.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to DVD Writers