8x dvd+r optodisc are awesome

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby MediumRare on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:39 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
MediumRare wrote:the regal cetation

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: stupid spelling mistakes :evil: :x :evil:
I meant cetacean!!!!

As to quality of LiteOn burners, my SOHW 1213S@whatever is not exactly earthshattering, but with good 8x media, noteably MCC 003 or RicohJpn R02 (don't have any TY), it's reliable and usually produces good results. Everything else I try here is for fun (e.g. to have something to post about :wink:).

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Ace on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:14 am

Here are my Nero 6.6 results on discs burned with the Sony DRU-710A using the Optodisc DVD+R 8x I bought from Newegg. I used a Sony DVD-ROM DDU1613 to scan the discs since I didn't want to scan them with the same drive that burned them:

8x- Coaster
6x- Very Poor, 3.23% of disc is unreadable in scan test
PI errors average 1157, PI failures average 95
4x- Good AFAIK, you guys are the experts, 100% is readable
PI errors average 38, PI failures average 0.97

I tried to post my graphs like Medium Rare did, I saved the images as .jpg, and .bmp, but I havent figured out how to paste them in here. If they would be helpful I'd be glad to post them if someone can give me a hint on how to do it.

So when Sony capped the Optodisc 8x media at 4x, they apparently had reason to.

Now the next step in the experiment is to find out how these media do with the NEC, I just bought a NEC3520 but I won't be able to install it until the weekend, I'll post my results. If the NEC burns these Optodiscs at 8x, I'll probably be a Sony basher, if it won't burn them at 8x, I'll probably be an Optodisc basher, but I'll probably be bashing something since I don't think I'm expecting too much to get 8x performance from media sold as 8x! :wink:
Ace
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:07 am

Ace wrote:I tried to post my graphs like Medium Rare did, I saved the images as .jpg, and .bmp, but I havent figured out how to paste them in here. If they would be helpful I'd be glad to post them if someone can give me a hint on how to do it.

read this FAQ:
HOWTO: Posting pictures; Linking to a specific post
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ace on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:44 am

Thanks dodec,

I saw the URL link and thought "well that's one way to attach a picture, but there must be an easier way than involving some third party that has nothing to do with this post". I guess maybe there isn't, but considering all the creative minds constantly looking for more efficient ways of doing things, I'm sure someone will figure out a more efficient way to attach images without 3rd party involvement. I have a Yafro account, so I thought that might work as the 3rd party? But that will add more time than I thought, I'll have to try it when I have more time.

But I did learn some valuable compression information at that link, I thought the .JPGs looked fuzzy compared to the .png, so that turned out to be a very helpful tip for me, now I know when to use the .png format, thanks!

Ace
Ace
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:24 am

welcome :)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ace on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 am

I installed the NEC 3520 burner to see if it would do any better job of recording the 8x optodiscs than the Sony/Lite-on unit, which never could record that media at 8x.

But now I have learned another lesson. When I shopped Sony DVD burners I debated about getting the OEM version, or getting the version bundled with Nero which looked like a good deal at the time. Well now I'm finding that wasn't such a good deal. When I installed the NEC 3520, the NERO software says it will only burn on with Sony Drives, and I need to buy the full version of Nero. I don't mind paying for legal software which is why I bought the software bundled package in the first place, but I DO MIND paying 80% of full price for a crippled bundled version and am then being asked to pay another 100% for a full version, this really makes me angry. I would think Nero should offer me a discount for upgrading but if they are, I can't find it. I'll have to dig a little bit more or maybe write them about it.

But lesson learned...don't buy any more crippled software in bundles.

And sorry to say as a result I still haven't been able to test the 8x optodiscs with my new NEC burner.
Ace
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:08 am

Ace, look here:
https://secure.nero.com/us/secure.asp

Nero 6 costs at Nero's website $100 for the retail package + $9 shipping, or $70 for just a serial number.
an upgrade (which applies to you since you have an OEM version) costs $90 + $9 or $50 for a serial number.

in you live in the US you might find better prices than that on sales (i've seen sale prices for the retail boxed Nero cheaper than the upgrade serial price!)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:35 pm

I recently decided to give Gear's DVD v7.0 software a try after reading about it on the news page. I was looking for an alternate to Nero because Nero limits the number of characters you can use for the label of a DVD-Video disc. Gear does not. I was impressed with its feature list and it gives you a lot of control including placement of layer breaks on double layer media. They have a 60 day full feature trial and it is only $49 to register after that.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/geardvd.cfm

Jim
Jim
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to DVD Writers