Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero BackItUp 6 -- Drive Backup problem

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero BackItUp 6 -- Drive Backup problem

Postby green0green on Thu May 06, 2004 9:47 am

I have done a hard drive backup to CD using the Drive Backup Wizard. Now I am trying to restore the backup using the Restore wizard. My problem: I cannot seem to find any .nbi files on the hard drive or the CD's that I created. When I selected a random file I did get a message that the .nbi file is on the last disk created, however, there is only a .dat file there. I have read and reread the help files, how to files, and the FAQs and nothing seems to address this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

System info:
NERO 6 Ultra
W2K Pro SP4
green0green
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Fri May 07, 2004 6:11 pm

The problem is with the process you used.

If you use the Back Up Files option, or Schedule Backups option, then and only then are NBI Files created and written to disc in ISO format.

When you use our Back Up Hard Drive option, then you are doing a sector by sector backup. Creating a bootable disc to do a system Disaster Recovery from. To recover, you need to boot to the first set of the recovery discs.

Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby green0green on Mon May 10, 2004 12:09 pm

Thanks, Craig.

That is what I suspected. My problem now is that when I boot using the first recovery disk, I get a blue screen with a dos-like prompt. Whenever I try to type anything in there it seems to freeze up. I can't find any help files on this part and the "how to" doesn't even mention it. Do you know what needs to be done (what commands, I guess) once the I get this screen?

Thanks again,

Gary
green0green
Buffer Underrun

Postby green0green on Tue May 11, 2004 10:28 am

Please diregard my last message. I figured it out. It was locking up. When I tried it on a different system I had no problems. Thanks for you help.
green0green
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Mon May 17, 2004 2:26 pm

I'm having somewhat similar problems. After burning out a hard drive backup, I'm having trouble simulating a restore/disaster recovery. I'm booting with the 1st CD of the backup set in a drive and the DOS screen asks me to select as source: C:\, D:\, E:\, or F:\. I have neither any idea to which physical device these refer to, nor which is the proper one to select. It seems as though every selection option ends in a freeze after telling me to insert the 1st CD of the set in the drive that I've selected and then it can't find it.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Mon May 24, 2004 11:25 am

CowboySlim wrote:I'm having somewhat similar problems. After burning out a hard drive backup, I'm having trouble simulating a restore/disaster recovery. I'm booting with the 1st CD of the backup set in a drive and the DOS screen asks me to select as source: C:\, D:\, E:\, or F:\. I have neither any idea to which physical device these refer to, nor which is the proper one to select. It seems as though every selection option ends in a freeze after telling me to insert the 1st CD of the set in the drive that I've selected and then it can't find it.

Slim

Hi CowboySlim,

As indicated, it wants you to select the source drive that the backup CD or DVD is located in. The next screen should ask you to select a destination drive to restor too.

Regards

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue May 25, 2004 11:52 pm

Craig,

I appreciate the response. I've made some more attempts, allow me to fill in some more detail. I have Windows XP Home and two HDDs both with a bootable,primary partition which Windows identifies as C: and D:. Each of these has another logical partition indentified as E: and F:. I have two optical drives which Windows indentifies as I: (CD-RW) and J: (DVD).

After performing a drive/partition backup (choosing: "Create New Drive Backup") to the CD-RW drive, I attempt a restore with the first CD in the CD-RW drive. After the Caldera DOS boot, I get a screen that says to select the source drive among C:, D:, E:, or F: as I posted above. There is also a message at the lower left that says: "HDD-Media Incompatible". No matter which source I select, followed by an "Enter", I get a CD not found and everything freezes.

Also which seems strange is that my source choices reflect my number (4) of HDD partitions rather than my number of optical drives (2). It is as if the restore (NRESTORE.EXE) is expecting me to restore from an image on a HDD partition as opposed to a file on the 1st CD (which also contains the restore executable).

I never get to the screen asking me to select the destination (which should be one of the HDD partitions).

I have tried this with both bootable/primary partitions, both from the active or C: partition. That is once a backup of the active, C: partition and once a backup of the inactive D: partition.

Thanks,
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Wed May 26, 2004 12:07 pm

Hi CowboySlim,

I think I know what is going on here. There is a limitation that we are aware of in our restore window. As you can see in your window, it lists only C: thru F: and there is currently no Scroll bar to allow you to select other drive letters. In the very near future, we will be adding a scroll bar so that you are not limited to only 4 drive letters from which to choose from for Source. But this does not help you now.

Try this. Disconnect one of your Hard Drives, and then see if you are able to do a restore. It's not a clean solution, but till we provide one this should get you on your way.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby madprgmr on Wed May 26, 2004 12:35 pm

CCampbell wrote:The problem is with the process you used.

If you use the Back Up Files option, or Schedule Backups option, then and only then are NBI Files created and written to disc in ISO format.

When you use our Back Up Hard Drive option, then you are doing a sector by sector backup. Creating a bootable disc to do a system Disaster Recovery from. To recover, you need to boot to the first set of the recovery discs.

Regards,

Craig

Craig:

I tried to recovery a backup (that was created using the Back Up Hard Drive option) by booting to the first DVD (there are a total of 26 DVD's in this backup set) but whenver I try to select the DVD drive (that contains the DVD backup disc 1) the restore software says that the media is incompatiable. After trying to get this to work a few times, I took the DVD's to my system (the system in question is not mine, my budy has asked me for help in fixing his system) and looked at them with Windows Explorer they look like they contain data.

Could you perhaps throw me a bone here and give me a clue as to what I can do to get this system restored?

Thanks.
madprgmr
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed May 26, 2004 6:20 pm

Craig:

I tried to recovery a backup (that was created using the Back Up Hard Drive option) by booting to the first DVD (there are a total of 26 DVD's in this backup set) but whenver I try to select the DVD drive (that contains the DVD backup disc 1) the restore software says that the media is incompatiable. After trying to get this to work a few times, I took the DVD's to my system (the system in question is not mine, my budy has asked me for help in fixing his system) and looked at them with Windows Explorer they look like they contain data.

Could you perhaps throw me a bone here and give me a clue as to what I can do to get this system restored?

Thanks.

What size is the Hard Drive that you are trying to restore too?

What size is the data that you are about to restore?

The fact that you can boot to the disc, and you get the Restore window indicates the disc is readable. As long as the first DAT file is not corrupted in some way, it should work. But if the first DAT File is corrupted, or there is a scratch or dust at that location there could be problems.

With our older version of Nero BackItUp, we did have trouble with restoring to Hard Drives over 130Gig in size, but we appear to have resolved this issue with a new build. Do you have our latest Nero 6.3.1.10 installed? And was this the version used to create the backup, or was an earlier version used? If an earlier version, this could be the problem if you have a Hard Drive over 130gig in size.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed May 26, 2004 9:33 pm

OK, Craig, I'll try disconnecting a HDD and perhaps the DVD reader also. After all, if i"m interested in restoration and disaster recovery after a BSOD, desparate measures are OK when they get you going again.

About the future list enhancement, I can do all this with Drive Image now, so I don't really need the Nero functionality yet. When Nero is updated, then I can uninstall Drive Image, have one less app and let Nero do it all.

Thanks,
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby madprgmr on Thu May 27, 2004 11:46 am

What size is the Hard Drive that you are trying to restore too?

What size is the data that you are about to restore?

The fact that you can boot to the disc, and you get the Restore window indicates the disc is readable. As long as the first DAT file is not corrupted in some way, it should work. But if the first DAT File is corrupted, or there is a scratch or dust at that location there could be problems.

With our older version of Nero BackItUp, we did have trouble with restoring to Hard Drives over 130Gig in size, but we appear to have resolved this issue with a new build. Do you have our latest Nero 6.3.1.10 installed? And was this the version used to create the backup, or was an earlier version used? If an earlier version, this could be the problem if you have a Hard Drive over 130gig in size.

Regards,

Craig

Craig:

I will call my buddy and get the answers to your questions.

Thanks for helping
madprgmr
Buffer Underrun

Postby 8_ace on Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:22 am

Hi. I recently bought a new hard drive and have had nothing but trouble with it. I've reinstalled Windows 3 times since. The last time I installed everything, I backed up my hard drive using NERO BackItUp. Now I can't seem to restore my files. It took 2 DVDs to write to, even though they are 4.7gb ones and I only had 3.9gb on my hard disk at the time.
The computer keeps freezing with this hard drive so I want to back up onto my old drive so I can take this one back to the shop.
The problem is that when I go to the Nero BackItUp Wizard, it can't find any *nbi files on either of my backup DVDs. I've read in this forum here, something about a backup boot disk but Nero didn't tell me I needed anything like that so I'm a bit lost there. I really don't think I could handle another week of restoring the system from scrach again so please can anyone help a man on the verge of suicide... AAARGH!!!! lol
8_ace
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:44 am

8_ace wrote:Hi. I recently bought a new hard drive and have had nothing but trouble with it. I've reinstalled Windows 3 times since. The last time I installed everything, I backed up my hard drive using NERO BackItUp. Now I can't seem to restore my files. It took 2 DVDs to write to, even though they are 4.7gb ones and I only had 3.9gb on my hard disk at the time.
The computer keeps freezing with this hard drive so I want to back up onto my old drive so I can take this one back to the shop.
The problem is that when I go to the Nero BackItUp Wizard, it can't find any *nbi files on either of my backup DVDs. I've read in this forum here, something about a backup boot disk but Nero didn't tell me I needed anything like that so I'm a bit lost there. I really don't think I could handle another week of restoring the system from scrach again so please can anyone help a man on the verge of suicide... AAARGH!!!! lol

Hi 8_ace,

I've explained this already in this thread, but here we go again. :)

If you used the Hard Drive Backup feature, then you will not get any NBI files, this is only if you use the BackUp option that you get the NBI files.

So you need to put the first DVD of the backup in the DVD-ROM or DVD REcorder and boot to this, and NRestore interface will come up for you to select the Source and Destination.

And when you use the Backup Hard Drive feature, it does a sector by sector backup, and restore. So even if you had only 100MBs of data on a 80Gig hard drive, the backup will backup the full 80Gigs as it does a sector by sector backup, and restores the full 80Gigs, partition and all. So make sure the drive you restore too is the same size or larger as the original HD you backed up.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Missing Sector

Postby moosepn on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Hello I've been working on a 9 DVD +R backup all week and could use some assistance! I can get the machine to boot fine off of the first disc and I can create a partition to restore on but when I get to disc three I get an error pertaining to one of the sectors. I was wondering if there is anyway to fix this or even to skip the sector. Any help would be really appriciated!
moosepn
Buffer Underrun

Incomplete Restoration

Postby KEN2 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:44 am

I have somewhat similar issue with the above post using Nero Backitup (Nero Version, 6.6.0). I backed up 120GB of DATA with Backitup on 25+ single layer DVDs The HDD, 250GB in total, had some access issue and I formatted and tried to restore data from these DVDs. As instructed previously, I download Win98SE bootdisk and boot PC from floppy disk. After DOS base program started, everything went smoothly until third DVD's restoration was about to be finished. After 1st and 2nd DVD were finished, the DOS program instructed to put next DVD but after 3rd DVD is finished, the message goes like "Restoration complete" and ask me to reboot. This symptom sounds similar with the one posted in the different thread previously, except the DVD number is not mixed up. I thought this version of Nero would be OK with 130GB+ HDD.

Based on the above, I was wondering if :
1) there is some plan for AHEAD to release newer version of the DOS program or some patch to skip this incomplete ending.
2) NERO is going to upgrade Backitup so that HDD backupdata can be restored from Windows based program.

Also please feel free to let me know if there is anything I have been missing here.

Regards,
KEN2
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:18 am

Hi Ken2, and Moosepn,

Have you checked the discs for any physical defects? I find many times this is the cause for a failed restore. Sometimes, just a little cleaning of the disc's will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Craig
Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Incomplete Restoration

Postby KEN2 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:31 am

CCampbell wrote:Hi Ken2, and Moosepn,

Have you checked the discs for any physical defects? I find many times this is the cause for a failed restore. Sometimes, just a little cleaning of the disc's will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Craig

Craig:
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I would like to give you a little follow up on my post.
After the above "suspicious" copy was done, I rebooted the PC as instructed and then Windows XP started disk check under blue screen. During XP disk check, PC seemed to try to restore all the files from the last activity, which is Backitup operation. It took almost a day to finish the "restoration". After it was done, I checked the disk in question, and found out following:
1) Amazingly, file and folder structure seems to be restored exactly as they were before.
2) All folders can be opened and I see file-icons there, but no file can be opened with the message, "This is unknown file type"

Also, back to your question, I checked DVD discs, there were no physical damage or anything like that.

In my opinion, I did not see anybody having problems with Window-based Backitup problem using NBI file restoration, which I know can be used only for FILE back-up but not for HDD backup. So again, there might have been something with the DOS based restoration programm. What do you think?

Thanks,

Ken
KEN2
Buffer Underrun

Re: Incomplete Restoration

Postby KEN2 on Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 pm

KEN2 wrote:
CCampbell wrote:Hi Ken2, and Moosepn,

Regards,

Craig

Craig:
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I would like to give you a little follow up on my post.
After the above "suspicious" copy was done, I rebooted the PC as instructed and then Windows XP started disk check under blue screen. During XP disk check, PC seemed to try to restore all the files from the last activity, which is Backitup operation. It took almost a day to finish the "restoration". After it was done, I checked the disk in question, and found out following:
1) Amazingly, file and folder structure seems to be restored exactly as they were before.
2) All folders can be opened and I see file-icons there, but no file can be opened with the message, "This is unknown file type"

Also, back to your question, I checked DVD discs, there were no physical damage or anything like that.

In my opinion, I did not see anybody having problems with Window-based Backitup problem using NBI file restoration, which I know can be used only for FILE back-up but not for HDD backup. So again, there might have been something with the DOS based restoration programm. What do you think?

Thanks,

Ken

Just a follow-up for my own post because I found a couple of new things on the backup using Backitup software.

1. Third disc, which I described above, takes shorter time than the previous two discs for "restoration process", as if the third disc were the last data disc of the disc set, which may include less data than

2. I tried cleaning up the second disc just in case and got a message of "read error" for some reason. I took the disc out and cleaned up again and then it resumed restoration. Based on this fact, if there is scratch or some physical damage on a disc, the program is structured to tell that there is a portion which can not be read because of such damage.

3. After the third disc is finished, which takes shorter than the previous two disc as described above, the following message reads: "Restoring Successfully Completed. Please reboot for use restored volume." and also "Create New Structures: 50%", which I do not understand. The progress bar type of thing is painted with light green to half and the rest is colored yellow.

4. I tried above with NEC 2510 and Hitachi LG DVD ROM and got no luck and the same result.

I hope this can be a good reference to the issue I am facing right now.
KEN2
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed May 04, 2005 4:12 pm

Hi Ken2,

I doubt DOS is the issue, but can easly boot to a DOS bootable floppy and then try install using Restore.exe, to see if this issue is related to the DOS boot.

I would lean more to the media needing cleaning or having damage on it as the cause.

The Green and then Yellow portion showing the restore complete, indicates that the restore is not in fact completeing.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby KEN2 on Sat May 07, 2005 10:57 am

CCampbell wrote:Hi Ken2,

I doubt DOS is the issue, but can easly boot to a DOS bootable floppy and then try install using Restore.exe, to see if this issue is related to the DOS boot.

I would lean more to the media needing cleaning or having damage on it as the cause.

The Green and then Yellow portion showing the restore complete, indicates that the restore is not in fact completeing.

Regards,

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for your continuous followup on this matter.
I sincerely hope I can lean to your logic of media needing to be cleaned or so forth. (then, at least I get to know what the problem is.)
What I can not understand here is that, as mentioned above, third disc is treated by Dos Program as if the disc were different from previous two discs and the operation ends "faster". (not "earlier" because the yellow-green indicator once reaches to 100% anyway) The first two discs goes like 0.7%, 1.4% in progress, but the third disc starts from 1.2% always. Also there are no read error messages on 3rd disc but unknown message of "Create New Structures: 50%" right after the indicators reaches to 100%. This part was misleading in the previous message, so let me clarify this again. When the unknown message above is shown with restore complete & reboot request message, the indicator goes back to 50% simultaneously from 100%.

I am sorry I was not able to understand your first suggestion on your post. "I doubt DOS is the issue..." Could you perhaps restate your suggestion? I will try what you would suggest.

Ken
KEN2
Buffer Underrun

Problem "Create New Structures: 50%" is solved for

Postby coaxili on Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 pm

I have a same "Create New Structures: 50%" problem with restoring from DVD.

Problem is solved for me! Follow this instructions:

0. Copy NRESTORE.EXE (last version is 1.083) from newest NERO BURNING ROM update (download it from developer site or get prepared of necessary files from attachment) to floppy disc with configuration files.
1. Boot from first backup DVD
2. Then NRESTORE.EXE is started choose from menu Quit to get Caldera DOS system console.
3. Insert prepared floppy disc with newest NRESTORE.EXE
4. Start it from floppy by typing b:\NRESTORE or any way
5. If newest version NRESTORE.EXE is run then use it properly for restoring.
6. Voala!

Testing on Windows NT 4.0 Server SP6, file system is NTFS, DVD+R,RW TDK (backup contains two discs), restores full partition D:

IMHO BackItUp of early version have big problem with restoring from bootable DVD and NTFS. While making backup It haven’t a warning. Also Nero is not warning about it.
Attachments
NrestoreWorkingVersionToFloppy.zip
NRESTORE.EXE and necessary files (NrestoreWorkingVersionToFloppy.zip approx. 167Kb )
(166.89 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
coaxili
Buffer Underrun

Re: Problem "Create New Structures: 50%" is solved

Postby KEN2 on Thu May 12, 2005 12:35 am

coaxili wrote:I have a same "Create New Structures: 50%" problem with restoring from DVD.

Problem is solved for me! Follow this instructions:

0. Copy NRESTORE.EXE (last version is 1.083) from newest NERO BURNING ROM update (download it from developer site or get prepared of necessary files from attachment) to floppy disc with configuration files.
1. Boot from first backup DVD
2. Then NRESTORE.EXE is started choose from menu Quit to get Caldera DOS system console.
3. Insert prepared floppy disc with newest NRESTORE.EXE
4. Start it from floppy by typing b:\NRESTORE or any way
5. If newest version NRESTORE.EXE is run then use it properly for restoring.
6. Voala!

Testing on Windows NT 4.0 Server SP6, file system is NTFS, DVD+R,RW TDK (backup contains two discs), restores full partition D:

IMHO BackItUp of early version have big problem with restoring from bootable DVD and NTFS. While making backup It haven’t a warning. Also Nero is not warning about it.

Coaxili,

Thanks for your information.
I can't wait for trying it. Just one thing though, Do you happen to know whether the version of NRESTORE.EXE you used the latest version comes with the newest version of NERO (mine was 6.6.0 and 1.083 sounds familiar to me) or is this the version which is not even available to public? I was wondering because you got this file from the developer's site. I can verify the version I used when I go home this weekend, but I wanted to know if this file is something new to me. Please kindly let me know if you know little bit more about the file you attached.

Thanks,

KEN2
KEN2
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Thu May 12, 2005 2:25 pm

Hi Ken2/Moospn,

I believe one of you sent me 16 or more DVD's to try and do a restore with? Sorry, I'm not in the office right now, and will need to double check when I return.

Anyway, the first two recovery dics were DVD RW media, and I was getting a lot of read errors with these two discs. IN the end, I had to try and copy the content from the disc and create new ones.

To do this, I put the disc's in the Recorder, Use Nero DriveSpeed to slow down the read speed, and increased the number of retry's on the read to copy the contents from the disc's to the Hard Drive. And then I burned them back to DVD. Using this process, I was then able to do a full recovery with the discs.

When I return to the office, I will ship the disc's back to you. Sorry for the delay.

Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby coaxili on Thu May 12, 2005 5:07 pm

KEN2,
I used Nero 6.6.0.1 which created my backup on DVD. BackItUp on bootable DVD placed a nrestore.exe v1.03. This version nrestore.exe can’t restore correctly for me. I just grab the newest nrestore.exe from latest NERO update which have BackItUP from nero site. I mean that backup containers (.dat) on DVD still compatible with newest version and works properly. It is a public update exactly. But it very large for downloading for one necessary utility which you need. I say about source because I think that my attachment can be delete by administrator or any way.
coaxili
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)