Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Is 16x DVD-media systematically better than DVD+ media?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby dolphinius_rex on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:20 pm

alexnoe wrote:
I have not seen any other results that would indicate that 16x DVD-R write results would be better than for 16x DVD+R, rather the other way around...
Maybe because the C'T didn't test Optodisc, Ritek etc 16x DVD-R :D

Could actually *anyone* reproduce the bad result with MMC-004?

I've had bad results with MCC 004, but not in a long time.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:03 pm

alexnoe wrote:Maybe because the C'T didn't test Optodisc, Ritek etc 16x DVD-R :D

I prefer media from MCC, Sony and TY :)

Don´t think that Ritek and Optodisc could be seen as refrence
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby alexnoe on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:04 pm

But they are the reasons why some dvd+ trolls still have arguments on their side
alexnoe
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:30 pm

alexnoe wrote:But they are the reasons why some dvd+ trolls still have arguments on their side

I know :-?

I asked at Cdfreaks and someone postet a link to a topic named "Why DVD+R is superior to DVD-R".

I read a little of that and I think he only write what Philips wrote to push the +R-format, all theoretical and absoluty nobody can prove why + is better than -
Benq DW 1640 and 1650 , Plextor PX-755, Pioneer BDR-208 and 209D, LG GH24NSC0, LG BH16NS40 and 16NS55, Liteon ihas 124F and 324F, Pioneer DVR-215 and S21, Samsung SH-224DB and 224GB, and some more

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:09 am

I read endless discussions but never found something non-theoretical advantage for DVD+R

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 am

Scour wrote:

I read endless discussions but never found something non-theoretical advantage for DVD+R

Agreed. DVD+R is no better then DVD-R. DVD+RW on the other hand, is a different story! :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:31 pm

Can you prove the opposite ?
Why DVD-ROM booktype (which many drives only in DVD+R do), aren't better in compatibilty than DVD-R ?
-I think this capability of DVD+R, is the one and only best reason buying this media format -Next,will be writing quality, dye of media,brand etc
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:Can you prove the opposite ?
Why DVD-ROM booktype (which many drives only in DVD+R do), aren't better in compatibilty than DVD-R ?
-I think this capability of DVD+R, is the one and only best reason buying this media format -Next,will be writing quality, dye of media,brand etc

I've never seen a drive that wouldn't play a DVD-R, but would play a DVD+R (booktype set or not). For that matter... I haven't seen a DVD Player that wouldn't play a DVD+R even WITHOUT bitsetting in a pretty long time either :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:06 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Gary Kokkin wrote:Can you prove the opposite ?

I've never seen a drive that wouldn't play a DVD-R, but would play a DVD+R (booktype set or not). For that matter... I haven't seen a DVD Player that wouldn't play a DVD+R even WITHOUT bitsetting in a pretty long time either :wink:

Why should we prove the opposite? We don´t say that DVD-R is superior to DVD+R, we only say that one format is not better than the other :)

I have an Cyberhome 402 DVD-Player. It reads DVD-R without any problems, even trash-media like Infosmart. With DVD+R the player only worked after FW-Update. And maybe you know that only 10% or less of people who owning a DVD-Playet know that FW-Updates are existing.

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Starting reading times on booktyped as DVD-Rom DVD+R discs ,are faster than DVD-R in standalone players
DVD rom is fist development booktype than DVD-R- Many DVD-Rom players <2002 didn't have ability play DVD+R (and have problems also is DVD-R discs burn >4x speed or not support DVD-R at all !) ,setting booktype,except fast burn,helps a lot these older players play recordable media.

-Also newer players from Panasonic,Pioneer which not official support DVD+R reading , in simple video DVD+R discs are very selectable and unstable in many media-With DVD-ROM booktype no problem at all even in cheap media-So this ability of DVD+R media is a big plus in format war.
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Hello!

I have a LG GSA 4082. No booktype-setting.

That means: Nice thing, this booktype-setting. But why I should buy a new DVD-writer with Booktype-setting when all of my drives have no problems with DVD-R?

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:01 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:Starting reading times on booktyped as DVD-Rom DVD+R discs ,are faster than DVD-R in standalone players
DVD rom is fist development booktype than DVD-R- Many DVD-Rom players <2002 didn't have ability play DVD+R (and have problems also is DVD-R discs burn >4x speed or not support DVD-R at all !) ,setting booktype,except fast burn,helps a lot these older players play recordable media.

-Also newer players from Panasonic,Pioneer which not official support DVD+R reading , in simple video DVD+R discs are very selectable and unstable in many media-With DVD-ROM booktype no problem at all even in cheap media-So this ability of DVD+R media is a big plus in format war.

Can you prove any of that? I haven't seen proof for almost any of that (especially the first paragraph).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:16 pm

@ dolphinius_rex
You must try it by yoursel at first change.
-Understand is difficult to prove you something if not have the equipment under your attention to see .

@ Scour
Never said buy new recorder -If your DVD-R recordings meet your needs and play in usually value for money (compatible) stand alone DVD-players ,there isn't a reason

-Downgrade playing for some reason on older machines-( still exist thousands ,even great price drop worth buying newer )- should be a problem,due most media compatiblity-(firmware upgrades fix problem,rare exist in cheap models)-
-So next step as solution is to try burn in DVD-ROM booktype
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:55 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:@ dolphinius_rex
You must try it by yoursel at first change.
-Understand is difficult to prove you something if not have the equipment under your attention to see .

Believe me, I know :roll:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Gary Kokkin wrote:setting booktype,except fast burn,helps a lot these older players play recordable media.

changing the booktype to DVD-ROM makes a faster burn ???
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gary Kokkin on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 am

Booktype DVD-ROM loads faster,plays faster in stand alone (home) DVD-players even old ones, as my tests.

With "Fast burn" (as i wrote before) meant, the generall DVD+R ability (till now) burn faster many low rated media -Same for DVD-R media were not suggest or able do that in many burners -Now the 16x rated DVD-R media appeared,and fast burn is also safe with good quality (on selected media)
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
Gary Kokkin wrote:Starting reading times on booktyped as DVD-Rom DVD+R discs ,are faster than DVD-R in standalone players

Can you prove any of that? I haven't seen proof for almost any of that (especially the first paragraph).

Yes, Dolphl I agree :)

My Cyberhome 402 recognize DVD-R faster than DVD+R and make not so loud noises when I insert the media.

BTW, the DVD+RW-Alliance had other problems in the moment:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12107

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:07 am

Ehh Garry Kokkin is right when he said that disc's with DVD-rom booktype allow faster reading on some drives.
Some drives are factory limited for recordables and rewritables.
This was allready seen in the cd-r age !

I can say that in the old days (up to 4x) +R was more safe to buy when it was about quality because quite some crap manufacturers didn't make +R.
However with todays disc I don't see much difference.

There is one thing Philips said from day one that +R would reach speeds like 16x. Pioneer however has said for a long time that for -R that 8x would be the limit. Now it might be that different production methodes has changed Pioneer view.However if I remember well then it was more as production alone.
So this makes me wonder did DVD forum partners do more R&D and overcome all the problems and also improved it much ?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:31 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:
alexnoe wrote:
I have not seen any other results that would indicate that 16x DVD-R write results would be better than for 16x DVD+R, rather the other way around...
Maybe because the C'T didn't test Optodisc, Ritek etc 16x DVD-R :D

Could actually *anyone* reproduce the bad result with MMC-004?

I've had bad results with MCC 004, but not in a long time.

There were some reports about inconsistant performance with MCC-004 in the begining. The numbers of problematic disc's were quite small but there were there.

Also Ritek disc's aren't that well suported. That counts for -R and both +R disc's. RitekP16 seems to be not supported at all on quite some drives (4x write speed !)
And for the folks who think RitekP16 ? That's the new ritek 16x +R disc !.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby Scour on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 am

RJW wrote:Also Ritek disc's aren't that well suported. That counts for -R and both +R disc's. RitekP16 seems to be not supported at all on quite some drives (4x write speed !)

Are the Ritek 16x only not well supported or those media is pure crap? The 16x +R is avaible for some months, but the speed and wuality with many writers are not good.

RJW wrote:I can say that in the old days (up to 4x) +R was more safe to buy when it was about quality because quite some crap manufacturers didn't make +R.
However with todays disc I don't see much difference.

That´s the point. In the early +R-days only some better manufacturers produce them, no manuf. like Princo, Leaddata etc. produce +R.

Today, I sont see much difference

cu
Scour
Scour
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 pm

hoxlund wrote:like the saying goes

don't worry about booktype setting just use dvd- media

since day one of dvd burning ive used dvd- media, never had a problem reading them back in anything

I think your stuck in the olden days back when DVD+R was incompatible where DVD-R was compatible with existing equipment. Nowadays, and for the past several years, both formats have had around the same compatibility with DVD players.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby RJW on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:17 pm

Scour wrote:
RJW wrote:Also Ritek disc's aren't that well suported. That counts for -R and both +R disc's. RitekP16 seems to be not supported at all on quite some drives (4x write speed !)

Are the Ritek 16x only not well supported or those media is pure crap? The 16x +R is avaible for some months, but the speed and wuality with many writers are not good.
[quote]
The new P16 are not so long on the market I know one shop who sells these and infact they only started selling them a few weeks ago.
So not some months !!

From the results so far it seems that support is really a mayor issue.
Because a lot of drives won't allow faster as 4x.
Now I know Ritek quality is known for it's huge fluctuations however I don't think that a brand new 16x disc would be limited because of the usual ritek variation because the old 16x RITEK R04 burns 8x/12x/16x so the 4x speed suggests no support so far.
Benq/Philips offcourse can burn it at 16x but what do you expect it's +R and these drives can use the info from the ADIP.
Als PX-716 burns at 12x.
So there are some exceptions.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:22 pm

aviationwiz wrote:
hoxlund wrote:like the saying goes

don't worry about booktype setting just use dvd- media

since day one of dvd burning ive used dvd- media, never had a problem reading them back in anything

I think your stuck in the olden days back when DVD+R was incompatible where DVD-R was compatible with existing equipment. Nowadays, and for the past several years, both formats have had around the same compatibility with DVD players.

I agree.... but in Canada most people have little or no supply of DVD+R media, because it is almost never requested. Even in the US, DVD-R outsells DVD+R more then 100:1. Even in the case of Taiyo Yuden, or Ritek, or Optodisc, all of which have very well supported 8x DVD+R! (if you consider RICOHJPNR02 and not RITEKR03 :P).

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby jsl on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Even in the US, DVD-R outsells DVD+R more then 100:1.

Not a chance. DVD-R might sell better in America but no way that the difference is that large. Not sure how true the following numbers are but it's a recent quote from MMIS:
"DVD-R/RW discs are more popular in the U.S. than DVD+R/RW media, but just the opposite is true in Western Europe. Worldwide, the latest estimates from Taiwan show DVD+R with 51 percent of the worldwide market for write-once DVD-type discs; for the three rewritable formats, DVD+RW has a 40 percent share, DVD-RW a 34 percent share, and DVD-RAM 26 percent."
Other numbers I've seen also show pretty small difference between worldwide sold DVD-R and DVD+R discs and I doubt we burn that much more in Europe than in US...

RJW wrote:The new P16 are not so long on the market I know one shop who sells these and infact they only started selling them a few weeks ago.

So what does the P stand for? Prototype maybe? ;) I saw that Philips lists R05 as "approved" now so that's a third Ritek 16x DVD+R TID...
jsl
CD-RW Player

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers